Topic: My one year goal had icing on the cake

I had a great time last weekend at my Dad's house.  He had a small gathering of friends for a backyard barbeque... chicken over applewood... YUM!  It was very low key and relaxed.  When it finally started getting dark there were about 9 people total including myself.  I decided it was time to get out the guitars!  Come to find out, my dad's been playing ALL THESE YEARS on a 3/4 size Fender!  I knew he had a Fender, but I never realized that his guitar was a 3/4 size.  I've only seen his guitar ONCE since I started playing and at the time I had my 3/4 Ibanez, I guess it just didn't click that his was a 3/4 too.  I thought it was funny, there I was... little 5' 0" me with my big dread, and there my Dad was all 6' 0" with his little 3/4 acoustic!  I had to chuckle... but that was very soon thrown aside when I heard the SOUNDS come out of that little guitar!  WOW!  He really needs to change his strings, the low E was quite dead sounding, yet it still sounded TONS better than mine and the action was incredible.  I will guess that his guitar dates to the late 50's as he said he's had it since he started playing as a boy.  It probably didn't cost much then and would have been considered an entry level guitar... but it sure sounded better than my entry level Epi with the laminate top.   I gave up trying to play at the same time he was, together, because it just made mine sound worse and worse!  ha ha!

Anyhow, there was another fella there that could pick and play and it was really nice hearing him.  It's obvious he hasn't done too much playing lately, but after he warmed up he put out some nice tunes.  Then the three of us took turns playing a few songs.    My dad proudly claims that he is ONLY a rhythm guitarist.  I either pick or strum... but not both at the same time!  smile    I had a few requests from my Dad's girlfriend as she's been listening on YouTube and soundclick.  There are a few songs that my dad still plays, but can't quite hit the notes to sing... so we did also sing together and I carried him through a few choruses on songs like "Wildfire" wink  and he helped me out with some of the words for Running Bear (but Dad never was too good at remembering lyrics.  He says, "one or two verses max, no one cares anyway they just want to hear the chorus!"  LOL).  After everyone but family had gone home, we went inside and got some music out and played a bit more.  He really needs some new books as his are literally in pieces!  Along with the same guitar, these are the same books I remember turning the pages in as a child who could just barely read (you know, back when I learned "wildfire").  Dad was really REALLY enjoying having someone else to talk with about guitars and music.  Of course, I was as well!  It was really a great time. 

When all was said and done, he called me up a few days later.  He just wanted to tell me what a great time he had playing with me, that the guitars were the highlight of his evening, and he was super impressed with how far I've come with my playing as well as the number of songs I've managed to memorize.  I picked up the guitar last year, just around Labor Day because Dad wasn't playing so well last year with his elbow and back issues.  My goal was to be able to ensure there would always be a guitar at my Dad's summer parties.  What a blessing to have had two guitars, and three players!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: My one year goal had icing on the cake

A great time indeed.  I am glad everyone enjoyed it.  What a great story.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Amy; now that is exactly what I am talking about when I mention what I am doing with the guitar and why.  Nice story which rings true to my mission.  How fun to be able to share that special time with your Dad.  Mine has been gone almost 28 years and I would give an alwful lot to be able to do what you just did.  And, as your dad said to you, don't for one minute think that this event isn't something he is cherishing as a special moment in his life.  Daughters always occupy a soft spot in Daddy's heart and this probably made it more so.  Keep it up and ENJOY!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Well mom some great story that gave me some great ideas for his birthday! cool

"A bad note is only a fret or two away from a good note."  Anonymous

Dear Ms. Amy,
What a wonderful post you wrote.
That is as sweet as it gets when music runs in the family. Playing together sparks up an old relationship and cements forever a new friendship.
An evening to remember for all.
You guys got it goin' on.
toots
P.S. Buy your dad a hot set of strings to go on that Fender for the next party.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

What a great story Amy and a fantastic evening for all concerned especially your dad. My brother, Colin, and I will have a session with friends or down at his local when every I go back to the UK. It is great to play with family.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Amy, you're blessed, enjoy him while you have him. I lost my dad in 1969

Great story Amy, thanks for sharing. And now you are sharing the joys of making music with your kids - great stuff.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

9 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-08-30 11:23:06)

>>>>My goal was to be able to ensure there would always be a guitar at my Dad's summer parties. <<<<

This line is the one that brought the tears to my eyes.

Have you ever heard Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band?"  Here is the chorus:

edit - lyrics cannot be posted in the forum sad  GREATLY appreciated the thought!!  Here's a link to the song for those interested in seeing the chorus!!  http://chordie.com/chord.pere/www.linde … e_band.crd

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  It sure was great.  I've showed him Chordie some 10 times or so, and he loves going through my folders of music I've printed off.  He probably won't ever make it to the forums, but I do hope that he starts visiting and utilizing the song features here.  Frankly, I'm a spring chicken compared to most of the members... and I don't mean to talk about my Dad like he's an old fart, LOL, he's going to be 59 this year.  He's retired and most of his days are very busy, but he has a cool old fashioned style that I admire (computers aside, I really have an old fashioned side to myself as well smile)  I really have a lot of great memories of singing along to the guitar while my dad played.  I tried to explain to my son (who got bored with my stories lol) that I never even heard the real recordings of a LOT of the songs I know until I was a teenager, or even some not until I started playing the guitar!  Running Bear, Tom Dooley, Folsom Prison Blues and many others are known best as "my dad's version" not the popular recorded (original) versions.  My brother is 5 years younger than I and has a great voice, but he didn't remember many of these older songs (or dad playing them)... so I was able to play some "newer" songs Dad hasn't learned that were popular sometime within the past few decades, as my brother jokingly said,  by playing some Jewel and Mraz!  wink  Who knows, maybe my brother will get the bug too and finally pick up one of his guitars that's laying around his house!

It's all very surreal to me, but since I picked up the guitar last year... my Dad has been playing his more, my son has finally learned a lot more on his, and my husband has also gotten moving on his as well.  Who would have thought that just by deciding to do this I would inspire so many of the men I love the most.  I don't know if I inspired them, or if it was competition (LOL... poking at you there mekidsmom_son), but it feels great!

PapaTom wrote:

>>>>My goal was to be able to ensure there would always be a guitar at my Dad's summer parties. <<<<

This line is the one that brought the tears to my eyes.

Have you ever heard Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band?"  Here is the chorus:

edit - lyrics cannot be posted in the forum sad  GREATLY appreciated the thought!!  Here's a link to the song for those interested in seeing the chorus!!  http://chordie.com/chord.pere/www.linde … e_band.crd

BEAUTIFUL!!!  I had to edit your post though sad  I'm sorry!  Thank you sooo much!  YES, this song is PERFECT and that IS really the one thing that inspired me to pick up the guitar.  Dad has tried to teach me MANY times over the years... I never had a desire until that day last year.

And here's a link to the song on YouTube as well:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFVEB4j6zI
I might just have to learn this one!

Great story Amy, thanks for sharing.  You're creating some great memories for your family.

My father (who passed away in 1981) never learned to play an instrument, but often made up songs.  My son is an excellent musician and we occasionally get together and play but have trouble finding common ground. 

Ken

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

My daughter is a whiz at learning lyrics.  Tonight as I sang "Grandma's Feather Bed" to her, she sang along.  I'll frequently stumble over lyrics, but she'll kick me off again with a reminder.  I love that.  Your Dad couldn't be happier than to have you sing and play along, and especially that you cite him as an inspiration.  It's a lovely gift you've given him.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great story, Amy! Would just love to be at one of those parties! It must be the "English reserve", but (around here) just the sight of a guitar is enough to break up a party in double quick time. Even my very talented guitar playing friends need mucho lubrication and arm-twisting. Asking someone to come & jam is a bit like admitting you're an amateur dentist in need of willing victims.
I suppose the grass is always greener...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Amy, I'm 59 going on 18 LOL

Sounds like a great time and a memorable one!

Just one slight problem, 59 ain't no old fart.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  I turn 55 in two weeks and I maybe be old, and fart a bit, just don't call this fart, old.  wink

Seriously, since I started taking up the guitar, I feel more like 20.  smile

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Butch and Ozy ... I was trying to say, he's NOT an old fart!  LOL!  I realized I was talking about him like he was 89 or something, ha ha, and I didn't mean to.  Boy would he give me a good fun heckling if he read this!  When my son was 2, I taught him to call my dad "the old guy" just to pick on him a little!  Dad was only 47 then!  lol

Normtheguitar (ahh, can't remember your real name sad)... You are missing out!  Darn stuffy Brits (joking!!).  Nope, when the guitars come out here it's generally after everyone's had a long day in the sun and they're ready to relax.  There's been enough beer and other alcohol to satisfy everyone into that state, and a bon fire is usually roaring (on this particular night however it was a bit rainy, so no fire as it was too wet, but we were on the back patio with beers and citronella candles burning).  The guitars come out and usually people who were about to leave stay just a little longer to listen a bit and most everyone that can sings along!  smile  I think that's WHY my dad chooses to only strum rhythm guitar... more people tend to sing along, and it's got more of that "campfire" feel.

Normtheguitar (ahh, can't remember your real name )

Mr. Wood, my sincere apologies! I guess it wasn't that I couldn't remember, I just couldn't associate!  cool sunglasses to hide the red cheeks!

hi amy,

i've just found this post. i have to say that when i was a kid in the 50's, my family had no musical leanings at all. my father was a lorry driver, and he used to whistle to drown out the engine noise! sadly he couldnt manage two notes in the same key!

my sister was sent to piano lessons, which she chucked as soon as she could. we had a piano, which i messed about on, but it got sold and i had to wait 15 years to buy my first guitar with money from my paper round. later i bought an electronic keyboard and learned to play it by ear, same as i did the guitar, which explains why i dont play either very well.

my mother used to sing to me all the time, which is why i love singing i guess.

i enjoyed your story and thanks for sharing and evoking some memories i'd forgotten about.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

That's OK Amy! Even my wife forgets my name - quite often...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic