Re: Picks Around the World

Hello all
           The picks are "on the road again" to the next lucky recipient as of today. Once again on a long journey.
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Houston-the picks have landed! Bushy sent the picks package to me and was delivered today.
         I just got home from work and will open it later tonight.  You can relax now Bushy.  Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hi all, I recieved the package from Bushy over a week ago and wanted to open it straight away

but decieded to wait til the 4th of July weekend. Curiosity was killing me but my long work

schedule kept me at bay. Opened it today and was quite pleased. Bushy enclosed some great

cd's from Aussie performers along with word sheets etc. This was a blast. First thing we did

was to play along with one of the cd's. Had a great time. Now it's my turn to send it off with

some extras to the next lucky person. Just email me. BTW: We hope you and the Mrs. had

a wonderful anniversary Allan!!!                Mike and the gang

Hello again Mike, I have been out in the boonies for a few weeks at work and as such, been out of touch with everyone. What has happened to the picks? Are still hanging on to them?
Regards
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

OK - The picks have now traveled over 60,000 miles which is over 2X "around the world" in terms of mileage. The map is now updated:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q& … =h&z=2

I sure hope it's still on the move and would love to see a photo from the next recipient. It sounds like it has evolved quite nicely from the original simple package of picks.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Bushy, Topdown,--- Been working so much haven't been on the forum for a while-sorry. Yep, still have
     the package. Long trip these picks and things have gone, hate to see them sit but after 60K I would think
     they are taking a breather. My work is taking up so much time and energy I haven't even picked up a
     guitar for what seems years.lol Sorry Allan I haven't got around to a progression for the poem. Maybe
     this weekend. Hope all is well-- the picks need a new foster home!?

Hey all,

Just a friendly reminder that the picks package is alive and well and awaiting a new home.

It may be going to a previous destination if someone in a new locale doesn't jump in and

claim it.               Mike

Curious if the package is still on the move?

Hi Topdown, It is still with me, but I will send it out soon to ?????.     Mike

Hi All, Just to let those that are interested, the package will be heading to a new home next week

as long as everything goes well.   Mike

Howdy all,
  Finally got a day off and don't have to be back to work until wednesday!! So- the package was sent

to the next Chordian and should arrive tuesday if all goes well. Fun to check out some of the goodies

that are in it. I took two small items and Made copies of some of the things so the originals would

stay with it and added a few items as well.       Mike

I was staining the cedar siding on my home yesterday and ran out of stain. So while my wife drove to town to get more supplies I was taking a little break when the mailman stopped at my mailbox at the end of the lane.  Along with the bills and ads was a package from Carson, Washington so I knew Papaguitar had sent the package.  I took it inside the house, opened it up and inventoried the contents:

"sign-in" sheet"
Capo conversion chart
69 guitar picks
1 end pin
1 bridge pin
pitch pipe
tuner
set of strings
12AU7 amp tube
left handed pick guard
bumber sticker
1/2 dozen business cards
3 CDs

I dumped the picks on a table, got out my 000-16GT and played a few bars with each pick, examining it and wondering where it had been. I had fun trying to determine by the color and style of pick whether it should be used to play a counrty, folk, bluegrass, rock song, etc.  Soon a couiple of hours had passed, my wife came home with more stain and I was back to work.

As I type this I've got headphones on and am listening to  a country music CD from Australia.  There's no identifying info on the CD but references in some of the songs give a clue to their origins.  Anyway its good stuff and I plan to make a copy before passing it on, and hope to learn a few of the songs.  Thanks to all the Chordians who have participated.  This "Newbie" is having a great time and hopes whoever gets it next haves as much fun as I am.  I took 10 picks and added 17.  I'm also including a CD with 15 new songs I've written/recorded for the next "lucky" recipient. (Or should that be "unlikely" since I'm including my CD?)

Who wants the package next?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hey Ken; send it or bring it my way if you would.  I would be proud to look it over and add something to the mix.  This is a great, ongoing idea!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Too late Jim.  The early bird gets the worm. Bolleauxp beat you to it.  He emailed me this morning while riding a bus and looking for work. 

Glad to hear you had a good time in Nashville.  I've got a few songwriting friends that moved down there who are trying to get into the business.

Have fun at the open stage tomorrow night.  If you want to see my "six" songs, check out youtube.  Tom recorded a couple of 'em last week.

DE

Went to the post office today and the package was sent "across the pond" to the next recipient.

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:

Have fun at the open stage tomorrow night.  If you want to see my "six" songs, check out youtube.  Tom recorded a couple of 'em last week.

DE

Did you do your "two" song three times?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Woah today just got a lot better.  My son just came in from work with a parcel of picks and other items.  I have them spread around the floor at the moment trying to work out which one to try first, where they might be from and who used them to play what.  It looks like it's going to be a long night with a couple of beers and guitar in hand.  I hope the sons are going out.
When my fingers are tired I have 4 CD's to listen to.  What a great way to chill out.  I've claimed the last Chordie pick by the way.  I've been sorting through my own bits and pieces to see what I have to put in and I've decided to part with my favourite Sharkfin (brand name not material) pick and a couple of aluminium Techpicks I used when I was playing electric ( don't use these on acoustics or you will shred your strings in an hour).  A few more odd picks accumulated over a period and it's the perfect way to get rid of an unwanted Christmas gift from last year - a Swan C harmonica, instuctional book and DVD (no spit guaranteed - it's never been out the packet).  I've also included a string winder and a little plastic gizmo I wish I had 10 years ago - a strap lock.  My strap was worn and slipped off the button and my guitar landed on it's side and sustained a 3 inch split right along the binding.  It repaired OK but I almost cried when it happened.  I'm never without a strap lock now.
I think I have a couple of tapes of country music by UK bands I can throw in too.

Anyway - first to mail is next on the list for the package.  I should be done with it by Thursday I reckon.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Glad to hear that the package arrived Ian.

Ken

Hey Ian, I have emailed you with my interest!  Sounds like a real experience which I would like to add too!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.

The next recipient e-mailed me and that person has received an e-mail confirming the picks are being sent Friday.   All I will say is they are going back stateside.  This was such an amazing idea.  Big ups to Topdown.  And Ken I love the CD.  I hope you are OK if I take a copy and leave the original in the pack for the next person.  My fingers are sore and stiff from at the moment from a long session playing so no guitar today or at least not till after lunch.

Cheers

Ian

Greek Proverb

bolleauxp wrote:

This was such an amazing idea.  Big ups to Topdown. 

Ian

Thanks Ian - It's been a fun project and I'm glad to see it still moving. The map has been updated - link:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q& … 87&z=2

In just under 14 months, the package has been to 21 members and has traveled (as the crow flies) 66,235 miles.

It would be cool to see pics of the package as it transforms!

Hi Guys

Am now on the way to the post office so if the package takes the same time to turn around as last time it should be with the next recipient by Monday week at the latest.  I'm giving a little leeway for the weekend.

Ian

Greek Proverb

Imagine my suprise when I went to the mail box today and found a package to me from Ian across the pond in Stockton-on-Tees in England.  I have only now just opened it and am like a little kid opening a Christmas present.  I know I will enjoy this little look from around the world; a glimpse at what others have contributed and the thoughts of what I might add.  For now, I think I will just try out a few of the picks and then settle down to read a little of what is inside. 

The absolute most cool thing about this is just taking the time to see where all this has been and what people have commented and added.  I will give an update as soon as I get around to getting a look/see at everything in here.   Thanks for all before me for keeping this alive to find me in my little corner of the world in Ashville, Ohio, USA.  Thanks Ian (bolleauxp) for sending it on and Jeff (Topdown) for getting all of this started.  Whoever might be interested next should give us a post here and let me know where I can foward on this package of treasures to the next Chordian.

Hi Jim

Can't believe it has taken so long to get there but glad it arrived safely.  Enjoy.

Ian

Greek Proverb

Jim - I sent you an email. If I'm not next in line, I hope at a minimum you can post some photos of the package.

Jeff