Topic: Strings - Anyone tried the new Martin "Lifespans"?

OK, so apparently, Martin got smart(er) and realized that the biggest complaint about their strings was that they don't hold tone long enough for the typical player.  They bought license/technology from "Cleartone" and have started marketing "Lifespan" strings using said coatings on their strings.

http://www.martinguitar.com/strings/sel … display=21

I bought a set of Medium Phosphor Bronze Lifespans and put them on my D-35. and was impressed with the tone for a couple of days while I was working through the stretching period, but unfortunately had to leave for a week to deal with a death in the family.  When I came back, every string was flat.  However, they still sound brand new.

Admittedly, they haven't been played much, but my take on these strings is that they may hold tone longer, but the stretch period is also longer.

They're pricey, of course (I paid almost $20), but so far, OK.  Just wondering if any of you have tried these strings yet and if so, what is your opinion?

Thanks,
'nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Strings - Anyone tried the new Martin "Lifespans"?

Hi Ast I've been useing Martin meds and haven't been happy w/ them. I just put on a set of Elixer nano lights (turns out they are the same gage as the Martin mediuns) they were $16.00 and are suppose to last 3-5 times longer, so far so good

Nope, I'm with Butch... Just put some nano webs on last night in fact.  Marked improvement from the cheap Ernie Balls that were on there.  I do hope they last longer too!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have Martin mediums on also, but I may be willing to give the new ones a try.  Let us know after some serious use how they are.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by bolleauxp 2010-08-21 14:26:11)

Hi

I have tried but not a fan of the new Martin strings at all and up till now have always gone back to D'Addario.  I have just invested £15.99 in a set of Elixir Nanoweb Lights on the recommendation of the guy in our local music store.  Apparently he doesn't use any other type of string.

Interested to see what other people are paying for strings -   What I can't understand is the difference in price between US and UK.  For comparison £15.99 is almost $25 quite a bit more than the US cost.  I'm certain this country is drowning under the weight of taxation.

Having had a moan about the cost of Elixir in the UK the strings themselves are excellent.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

bolleauxp - Butch said he paid $16 for his Elixir Nanowebs ... mine were $15 something... so about the same.  I've heard if you buy them online, a few packages at a time, you can get them for much cheaper (in the US at least).  I am really surprised at the cost there for you.  I was looking around online one day and saw that one could get a room at a bed and breakfast somewhere near where the Phil harmonic was playing in the UK for around $40 US - I was BLOWN away by that as B&B's here are generally way more expensive than a hotel room.  Hotel rooms run between $60-$140 depending on where you're staying.  I'd expect if I was near somewhere that the Phil Harmonic was playing, I'd be paying closer to $140.  Very interesting stuff.

Order Elixirs online much cheaper than shop prices. I use Stringbusters.

Hi Mekidsmom

Have found a UK website that does the Elixir nanoweb strings for £11.98 but there is a UK delivery charge of £6.00 for orders under £200.00 so I may just have to accept the price I am being charged.

You might have to look at the difference in the definition of bed and breakfast between the USA and the UK.  I've seen some b&b places in the US and they are more like plush hotels.  In the UK you will find most b&b establishments are in town centre locations and are likely to have from 3 to 8 bedrooms and a communal bathroom.  Most of these are run by husband and wife teams or families and while they are usually clean and pleasant places to stay they are certainly not like US b&b's.  Other b&b offerings are made by hotels and generally such a place an hour from central London would cost around $70 for a single room per night.  Obviously the nearer to central London you get the higher the cost.

Just as an illustration - in an earlier life I managed a conservatory fitting team and had to book them into a b&b near Liverpool at around $20 per night.  These guys worked hard and liked their food - provlem was when they arrived they were put up in the spare bedroom of a Jewish family and were treated to a kosher diet for 4 days - No eggs and bacon for breakfast just cereal and prunes.  Those guys loved me. 

Ian

Greek Proverb

Thanks henryb.  Just checked out Stringvusters and only £1.50 for p&p.  That will save me around £1.59 per set of strings.

Greek Proverb

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Do yourselves a favor and check out John Pearse strings. The best sounding, longest lasting string for my dollar and I have tested dozens of different string brands / flavors.

I recently tried the new Dean Markley "Helix" strings and they sound good, but just didn't last as long as the JP's. I don't care for the feel of coated strings and had a huge problem snapping the Elixer G strings. The John Pearse last as long as elixer's, feel better, sound better and cost 1/2 as much as Elixer.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks Top I've never heard of Jps, my ignorance. I'm giveing the nanos a try and so far so good. I like the improved bottom end over the Martins

12 (edited by vxn911 2010-09-17 19:07:08)

I always use Elixer lights Nanoweb, but like most people I found the cost very high. I now buy them online. There is a great site at    www.stringsandbeyond.com    they currently have great deals on right now on Elixer and those new Martin lifespan strings. I tried cleartone and did not like them. Also at strings and beyond, the shipping is free, if your order comes to $35.00 or more. Same deal in Canada for shipping and no tax! They are based in North Carolina, US. Check them out! I love that site, mostly they just deal in strings and small accessories and picks etc. smile  Their service is great and I have never had problems with orders from them, and they often throw in something small for free as a gift!
Oh, and like Topdown said, I also have snapped several G strings....lol but I love the slippery smooth feel of the strings! Using a heavier string would help, but I like the lights and my guitar is setup for them. I just can't get to carried away banging on them hard....lol

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

Someone in hear recently said they bought some, but I can't remember what they said about them.  I am interested to see how they are.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

vxn911 wrote:

I always use Elixer lights Nanoweb, but like most people I found the cost very high. I now buy them online. There is a great site at    www.stringsandbeyond.com    they currently have great deals on right now on Elixer and those new Martin lifespan strings. I tried cleartone and did not like them. Also at strings and beyond, the shipping is free, if your order comes to $35.00 or more. Same deal in Canada for shipping and no tax! They are based in North Carolina, US. Check them out! I love that site, mostly they just deal in strings and small accessories and picks etc. smile  Their service is great and I have never had problems with orders from them, and they often throw in something small for free as a gift!
Oh, and like Topdown said, I also have snapped several G strings....lol but I love the slippery smooth feel of the strings! Using a heavier string would help, but I like the lights and my guitar is setup for them. I just can't get to carried away banging on them hard....lol

Sounds like a great site... bookmarked for later use!  Thank you very much Vxn!

I usually play Martin Marquis strings. I have tried all of the coated strings (Elixers, D'addaro EXP, and Earnie Ball) but I do not like any of them. I went in to buy some strings and asked the guy at the shop what he played and of course he said Elixers. I told him I did not like them and showed him the strings I usually buy. He suggested D'Addario's for a similar sound but longer life. In fact he said they have to change the strings on their Martin guitars (at their expense) just to keep them playable for customers but Taylor sends a rep around regularly to keep their guitars strung with fresh strings at no charge to the shop. I have not put them on yet but maybe the D'Addario's will be the strings that get me off the Martin kick.

Ok. Again, this thread drives me crazy.  Martin SP 92/8 phosphor bronze strings cost $4.94 per set. How much are you paying for Elixers ? How much longer do they last??  Do y'all really think a plastic coated string sounds better than a pure alloy string at 1/4th the cost?  Really, I want to know. Please sound off on this.  If you think I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong because I am convinced that all this fancy coating stuff is just a way to make you spend more money for no good reason.
Thanks in advance for participating.

Now available in 5G !

The nanos are so far so good. I will try an ultra light next time, dealing with joint issues.

LOL tan I would of changed my strings 2 or 3 times since I put the new strings on. But, it comes down to changing strings a real PIMB!!!

I hate Martin Classical's.  Tune, tune, tune, tune.....  They are the worst ones I've ever had.

I have tried and will keep trying new type strings but I find that plain round wound strings on both my acoustic and electric guitars are cheapest and sound better longer.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tandm3 wrote:

Ok. Again, this thread drives me crazy.  Martin SP 92/8 phosphor bronze strings cost $4.94 per set. How much are you paying for Elixers ? How much longer do they last??  Do y'all really think a plastic coated string sounds better than a pure alloy string at 1/4th the cost?  Really, I want to know. Please sound off on this.  If you think I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong because I am convinced that all this fancy coating stuff is just a way to make you spend more money for no good reason.
Thanks in advance for participating.

Yes on both counts.  Yes I think they sound better, and yes I think they last at least three times longer.  I have had Elixir nanowebs on my guitar for up to two months.  I don't get more than a week out of regular Martin strings, and that's usually about two days past them sounded dead.  I am now using D'Addorio EXP coated strings and they're ready to change after having been on for over two months - including regular playing outdoors with my fingers all bug-sprayed and suntan-lotioned. 

So, absolutely, you get what you pay for with those $5 strings.  If you like the sound and you are satisfied with them, by all means continue to use them.  However, for me, both brands of coated strings I have used are better values.  I think that's probably why I've seen Martin strings in bargain bins more often than any other brand.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Martin SP's are my string of choice and I have said it many times before. I think Elixirs and some of the other coated strings sound good on laminate guitars, But they seem to dull the sound or muffle it on Solid wood guitars. I am talking unplugged natural sound,

Martin SP"S are hard to beat and I think I get as much out of them as Elixirs. I do use Elixirs on my Yairi and it is my choice for it.
I also use Martins on the J-45 after trying several other brands it sounds clear and resonates better with the Martins.

Later, Wayne P