Topic: Slide

Anyone have any tips on playing slide .... in

standard tuning .... New to slide would like some hints tips ..anything

Thanks

Re: Slide

When I first started slide I just went crazy till I felt comfortable with it.  Dont know what youre looking for for tips...(when I said I went crazy, I really meant all I played was slide for 2 weeks)  Try working on muting the strings with your free fingers on your fretting hand to quiet the squeals, or If you like em try to amplify them...  Or use some 7th chords and add some slide for variety.  Sorry if I didnt help but thats all I can do.

anything helps ... just looking to add some dimension to the band as we have three guitar players in the group ..

I play bass for most of the night but when I'm on guitar i'm looking to learn harmony leads with the other player

and some slide for a few songs..thanks for the input

First and foremost you have to find a finger and a slide that you are comfortable with.  I went thru several before I settled on the Dunlop Preachin Pipe.  I use it on my little finger.  The slide you choose must fit right and give you the tone you are looking for.  Experiment with glass, stainless, ceramic, brass, etc.

Playing slide in stardard tuning presents its own challenges.  Most of the songs you associate a slide guitar with are probably in a non-standard tuning.  I play in standard tuning too, it is possible.  Look for three note chords you can play barred across one fret to spice up your leads.

practice

Dean

I'm finding that ...with the second , third

and fourth strings i'm able to find basic

chords that sound resonably close to what they should sound like ...i've tried the open a,e,g,d but my

thinking is altough that may be an easier way

to learn from what i've seen..but if i can get the

basics in standard tuing the open e,a .etc..will maybe

come easier and i don't have to re-tune on stage or tak multiple guitars ...

thanks

check out 'the man and his mandolin' by donovan. it's a little riff which required sliding the g chord up a few frets, then back down whilst playing. it sounds very nice when mastered.

if you'd like to hear the song, it can be found on the 'gift from a flower to a garden' album, by donovan leich.

hope this is useful

Thanks ..I'll have to check that out ... Just trying to squeeze i as much practice as I can ... hopefully one day I'll trip over the secret .. thanks

I have been trying to master slide for years now, it is the most fustrating apect of the guitar that I have ever delt with. I am a bit hard headed and insist onlearning in standard tuning. I guess that may be part of the reason it is so frustrating. Anyway I keep practicing and i guess i am slowly getting better (emphesizing slowly) what I find is that it is like body surfing sometimes i can catch the wave and at other times just cant seem to get it no matter what. but when I do get it...I love it

what a long strange trip it's been