Re: How to get over fear...

i play contemperary christian music and most of it is in standard tuning..... so the drop D thing might be working against ya.

patrickjacques wrote:

I have a question did you say you were the only guitarist

Yes Sir, I am the only guitar.
The "lone ranger" of sorts.

I brought my amp and guitar to church yesterday and was actually doing quite good!
Sadly, the drummer and keyboardist kept telling me that I had my guitar too loud. I don't know how to interpret that because no one else in church seemed able to hear me, byut yet they kept saying that I was too loud and they were turning up their instruments on the mixer so loud that I couldn't hear my own playing. After a while I gave up and must plugged my headphones into my amp and played to myself.

I don't even want to bother playing with them anymore honestly. My wife said that my playing may have thrown them off because they were hearing me playing instead of themselves....I dunno. Sounds fishy to me...

=[

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

bootleger wrote:
Detman101 wrote:
bootleger wrote:

Detman101,
First of all let me tell that your worship comes from the heart and that what matters. As mentioned in previous replys you all have to be tuned the same. If you have a keyboard player have him hit an E note and all of you tune to that pitch (440 standard). Take the extra time to ask a brother (or sister) to print out the lyrics and then write the corresponding chord on your sheet put then in a three ring note book and play from a music stand until you have memorized them. If their true brothers and sisters they will take the time to help you.

I played in a worship band for five years and was also a worship leader (I am also ordained). Because of that worship band I was blessed to play with the following persons (not bragging, Exalting the blessing I received). Drummers: LaVon Bell of Earth,wind & Fire, Charlie from Three dog night and Mike Lazik of Albert Collin's touring band before Albert Collin's died. Guitar player Guitar Jack and Organist Don from B.B.Kings house of blues band. My former pastor use to play keyboards with the band Deliverence. Mind you it is not because of my playing skills but they all became christians and would come and sit in with us during Revivals. My point is not to see yourself in it but to whom you serve with it. Keep it up because you honor "HIM" he will honor you and your house hold.

Off the pulpit now.

Bootlegger.

Thank you sir.
I will continue to pray on it and just try harder. The church band does not provide sheet music or anything so it's a little hard.

Dm

Detman101:

I have alot of lyrics with chord on them, worship and praise music depending on where you are (i'm in California, U.S.A.) I will mail you copies as soon as I dig them out. Just send me an email with an address (in America) and I'll get them to you.

Bootlegger.

OH MY GOSH!!! THank YOU!!!!!

I'll PM you my email address and info!!!

Thanks,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

rainman wrote:

A peice of advice:become fimiliar with the names of the notes n your guitar. When Im trying to play along with a song I dont have tabs or sheets for, I just pluck single notes on the guiar until I find one that sounds right, then I figure out the name of that note. Like ll be playing along and Ill hit the third note of the A string and be like "oh, that shounds good, and thats a C." (you dont have to kow the note by its particular sound, just become fimiliar wth whereall the ntes are on he fingerboard. somtimes it takes e a while to figure out a note.) then play a c CHORD along with that part of the song. usually it sounds right when played along with the song, sometimes you need to make it a minor chord though. bring a chord sheet with you so ou canfind out chords yu dont know. Tell me if this doesnt make sense and Ill try to explain it better; I did a somewhat crappy job this time. :-(  nyway, Iveonly been plaing or 11 months and I can already play alongwith most songs using this method, try it out.

That is how I figured out how to play along with the song "Jesus Jesus Jesus" this past sunday at church. I found one note that was in the song and worked my way around that one note and I figured it all out in about 15 seconds. I just needed an anchor in the song to get me going. Once I had that, the rest was easy!!

I have a little Chord-Finder machine that my cousin gave me that lists all the chords that exist for guitar on it's little LCD display screen. It's the "Planet Waves" Digital Chord Finder.
http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/42/425306.t.jpg

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

backinpink65 wrote:

i play contemperary christian music and most of it is in standard tuning..... so the drop D thing might be working against ya.

Ah okay. I will have to setup my second guitar for when I play in standard tuning.
I'll keep my main guitar in Double-Drop-D.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

perhaps you had your amp pointing at them? Does that sound too obvious? :E

But you may have the old problem of everyone wants to be heard over everyone else! (used to have that as a bass player...lol)

32 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-06-18 18:05:12)

yo detman since you are the only guitat player you might ask the keyboard player to get together just you and him and work at figuring the chords to the songs. have him play his chord and slide a bar chord up and down the neck until you hit the right chord.You can the transform it to an open chord. One thing I would suggest also is that at the next preformance you bring a tape recorder and record the songs. With the recorded music you can practice and figure out chords replaying as much and as often as needed. People often tell me that I am lucky to be such a good guitar player. I attribute that to only one thing. The amount of hours and hours I have practiced . I honestly beleive that anyone with that many hours of practice would be as good or better than me on the guitar. Keep Pushinhg and it will come

Also it is quite common when playing electric. Everyone wants to be louder than the other, thus drowning out the other guy. Place you amp so that you are standing directly in front of it and not pointing directly at the other musicians. This sould help so that at least you can hear yourself

what a long strange trip it's been

rjstua wrote:

perhaps you had your amp pointing at them? Does that sound too obvious? :E

But you may have the old problem of everyone wants to be heard over everyone else! (used to have that as a bass player...lol)

You know what....now that I think about it. My amp was facing kinda towards them. But I had it turned that way so that the audience could hear my amp too.

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

patrickjacques wrote:

yo detman since you are the only guitat player you might ask the keyboard player to get together just you and him and work at figuring the chords to the songs. have him play his chord and slide a bar chord up and down the neck until you hit the right chord.You can the transform it to an open chord. One thing I would suggest also is that at the next preformance you bring a tape recorder and record the songs. With the recorded music you can practice and figure out chords replaying as much and as often as needed. People often tell me that I am lucky to be such a good guitar player. I attribute that to only one thing. The amount of hours and hours I have practiced . I honestly beleive that anyone with that many hours of practice would be as good or better than me on the guitar. Keep Pushinhg and it will come

Also it is quite common when playing electric. Everyone wants to be louder than the other, thus drowning out the other guy. Place you amp so that you are standing directly in front of it and not pointing directly at the other musicians. This sould help so that at least you can hear yourself

Thank you for the advice. In my church, I am the audio technician as well as a budding guitarist.
I have recorded the band and musicians singing on multiple occasions and have quite a few of their songs that I play to at home to practice. I will admit that I do a lot better when there is no audience or anyone else around to hear me mess up.

I will point my amp at me this sunday so that at least I get to hear myself play. If everyone else can hear too then more power to them.  But as long as I can hear myself playing that's all that counts because I will get better. Plus, as loud as the music is, I should be able to still hear it along with my amp.

=]

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:
patrickjacques wrote:

Thank you for the advice. In my church, I am the audio technician as well as a budding guitarist.
I have recorded the band and musicians singing on multiple occasions and have quite a few of their songs that I play to at home to practice. I will admit that I do a lot better when there is no audience or anyone else around to hear me mess up.

I will point my amp at me this sunday so that at least I get to hear myself play. If everyone else can hear too then more power to them.  But as long as I can hear myself playing that's all that counts because I will get better. Plus, as loud as the music is, I should be able to still hear it along with my amp.

=]

Dm

I truly hope that it's just misunderstandings and learning pains and not egos at work with your Church group...sometimes getting a good sound is a real challenge. Typically I'll set my amp over to the side and point it back at me and away from the keyboard...that way I can hear it and use it for a monitor...once I get my sound set then I'll place a mic in front of the amp and the sound tech can mix it with the overall sound. Sometimes this is difficult in a smaller church with limited space and sound resources but ideally the amps should each be micd and the drums should be "boxed in" in with a plexiglass sheild and also micd...then let the sound person mix everything. I find that I can stand in front of my amp and hear what I'm doing over the overall mix, or I can step to the side and hear the stage monitor to hear everything. Hopefully you are able to have some practice sessions to check things out...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi Bootleger,
What a beautiful reply to det101!
What kind of people can they be to let him struggle like that?  Or Maybe i am being unchristian to them? May be he hasnt let anyone know how he is feeling?,which is even worse! No wonder he sounds so lonesome!

Our church choir years ago, had 2 of  the most colourful characters.. One was Christine Aguilera, Way before the real one! And the other was a guy who was a one man James Last ? Our PP used nearly pull his hair out at times.
And lots of people used to come to church to see the allagations of these 2.
They were still praiseing the lord in their own way,and wonderful with it! Where does it say we have to be perfect?

He has had some great help from the forum, I am so glad for Him.!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

jaygordon75 wrote:

I truly hope that it's just misunderstandings and learning pains and not egos at work with your Church group...sometimes getting a good sound is a real challenge. Typically I'll set my amp over to the side and point it back at me and away from the keyboard...that way I can hear it and use it for a monitor...once I get my sound set then I'll place a mic in front of the amp and the sound tech can mix it with the overall sound. Sometimes this is difficult in a smaller church with limited space and sound resources but ideally the amps should each be micd and the drums should be "boxed in" in with a plexiglass sheild and also micd...then let the sound person mix everything. I find that I can stand in front of my amp and hear what I'm doing over the overall mix, or I can step to the side and hear the stage monitor to hear everything. Hopefully you are able to have some practice sessions to check things out...

Believe me, I am hoping that it is misunderstandings too. I will find out eventually. I never get offered to practice with the band. I don't think that they really "See" me as anything more than the "audio technician". I get tempted all the time to turn down their mics and let myself be heard, but I know that is just not nice so I don't do it.
I am going to stick to my guns and have my amp pointed directly at me this time, even if no one else hears me I can enjoy all the lovely feedback! big_smile Hehehehehehe....

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Old Doll wrote:

Hi Bootleger,
What a beautiful reply to det101!
What kind of people can they be to let him struggle like that?  Or Maybe i am being unchristian to them? May be he hasnt let anyone know how he is feeling?,which is even worse! No wonder he sounds so lonesome!

Our church choir years ago, had 2 of  the most colourful characters.. One was Christine Aguilera, Way before the real one! And the other was a guy who was a one man James Last ? Our PP used nearly pull his hair out at times.
And lots of people used to come to church to see the allagations of these 2.
They were still praiseing the lord in their own way,and wonderful with it! Where does it say we have to be perfect?

He has had some great help from the forum, I am so glad for Him.!

Old Doll.

My problem is that the band in my church is more of a "Closed Circle" than something friendly and open as it should be. Even when our church visists other churches, all of the musicians seem to know each other and they just "Click" together and anyone outside of them gets ignored. I have spoken to other guitarists at jurisdictional church functions and heard the same information from them. It's sad that the only other musicians I get info from and help from are from other churches.

=[

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Greetings everyone,

This past sunday was the first succesful attempt at playing with the church band. I pointed my amp towards me and played on. I found that with the amp pointed towards me, it was easier to roll the volume knob and find the right notes to play, they turn the knob all the way up and play along with the band.

And people could hear me too!!! Well, the front row of the audience could hear me.... =p
But it's a start!!!

big_smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

livebaitman wrote:

Detman101,

There are only 11 major notes or chords and you're not likely to make 10 mistakes before you land on the right one.

David

Just want to make a correction to my earlier post.  There are 12 notes or major chords, not 11.  Why didn't someone correct me?  You would not have hurt my feelings.

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Detman101 wrote:

Hello,

I've been playing off and on since I was a teen and seriously devoted myself to learning the guitar last october 2006. I want to be able to play along with my church band but I don't know where to start. I can read tabs and play out the songs I see on chordie. But when I take my guitar to church I can never find any sounds that go along with what the band is playing. Everything I play is so out of tune with the songs and I sound like a frickin 2-year old playing around with a guitar instead of someone who spends an hour a day practicing.

It's depressing.

I love this so much but I suck so badly at it. How the hell am I ever supposed to just know where to go on the fretboard to get a particular sound? And how am I supposed to know what key anyone is playing in? They ask me that all the time and I don't know what the heck they are talking about...
The only time I ever sound like I know anything about playing the guitar is when I'm at home with tabs in front of me.
My guitar is tuned in drop-D and I can't even get my playing to match what they're playing and Drop-D is 10 times easier than playing in standard tuning!

Do I have to know what each sound is when I hear it? (Like...hear a song and instinctively know that a note played is "C")
I really just don't have a clue what to do and it's bothering me to the point of sadness.

Does anyone have any advice?

I know about all of the usual suggestions such as:
1. Get lessons.
2. Play with people, friends and/or family.
3. Go watch some musicians play.
My response to those is: I'm married to a regimented christian woman and I don't have much money,
so all 3 of those options are out the door.

The guitar is all I have left in my life...I don't want to lose this too.

Thank you,
Dm

Detman101 wrote:

Greetings everyone,

This past sunday was the first succesful attempt at playing with the church band. I pointed my amp towards me and played on. I found that with the amp pointed towards me, it was easier to roll the volume knob and find the right notes to play, they turn the knob all the way up and play along with the band.

And people could hear me too!!! Well, the front row of the audience could hear me.... =p
But it's a start!!!

big_smile
Dm

Fella, I'm really pleased for you! Keep right at it and keep on rocking my man big_smile

rjstua wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Greetings everyone,

But it's a start!!!

big_smile
Dm

Fella, I'm really pleased for you! Keep right at it and keep on rocking my man big_smile

Thank you, I feel so connected to my guitar right now. It feels good not to feel lost.

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I find this topic utterly amazing. I cannot believe that the musicians in your church have treated you like this. Some people tend to forget that they had to learn too.
I have kept my guitar pretty much a secret from my church group because when they find out they will be HOUNDING ME TO JOIN IN! But I don't feel confident enough yet.

This group of people in your church need to realise that they may not always be there. For whatever reason they may move on, or whatever. Where does this then leave your church? With nobody left to carry on the music. They need to see the bigger picture and realise that the work of the church is what's important and not their own little private club.

Most churches that I know are desperate for people to join their groups (for all activities) so that they can carry on into the future. This even goes as far as welcoming people without any church background in the hope at showing people what it's all about and sparking an interest  in their spiritual life.

What surprises me most is that they do not even invite you to rehersals. They are quite happy to watch you struggle away DURING SERVICES and then tell you to pipe down! Something not right there.

I have nothing but admiration for the way you have stuck it out.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

I find this topic utterly amazing. I cannot believe that the musicians in your church have treated you like this. Some people tend to forget that they had to learn too.
I have kept my guitar pretty much a secret from my church group because when they find out they will be HOUNDING ME TO JOIN IN! But I don't feel confident enough yet.

This group of people in your church need to realise that they may not always be there. For whatever reason they may move on, or whatever. Where does this then leave your church? With nobody left to carry on the music. They need to see the bigger picture and realise that the work of the church is what's important and not their own little private club.

Most churches that I know are desperate for people to join their groups (for all activities) so that they can carry on into the future. This even goes as far as welcoming people without any church background in the hope at showing people what it's all about and sparking an interest  in their spiritual life.

What surprises me most is that they do not even invite you to rehersals. They are quite happy to watch you struggle away DURING SERVICES and then tell you to pipe down! Something not right there.

I have nothing but admiration for the way you have stuck it out.

Thank you. I, also, have the desire to be 100% on point when playing with my church but I realize that I never get to be around any other musicians or live music except when I'm at church. That was the only thing that brought me out of my shell enough to even try playing with them. It was a real kick in the pants when I realized that I wasn't allowed into the "Inner Circle".  Heck, I saw this one praise group online that had a drummer, keyboardist, 4 electric guitars, 2 bass guitars and one acoustic guitar! And they were all praising the Lord wonderfully! There's no set formula for how you praise the Lord. But I realize now that this isn't about them, it's about God! It's about praising Him my own way and helping to lift HIM up in any way that I can, irregardless of what anyone else does to try to hold me back.

I just keep looking at it like this....

If I made it through high-school and the pennyannie mindsets there....I can DEFINITELY make it through this!
This is proving to be much easier to overcome than high-school. AND....I have GOD on my side now!! I didn't know Him back in high-school, but I wish I did.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Just a thought Dm, but are there any other budding guitarists in the church who may benefit as much as yourself to a short get together to bounce things off each other. Send the feelers out for anyone else who may be even more reluctant than you were originally to get involved. Once you get together a couple of times you'll be amazed at how much good you can do for  each other.
I also hope you get the material from Bootlegger so you can get it down with some chords for some popular songs. I know the group in my church always have at least a word sheet with corresponding chord changes so that nobody gets lost half way through a song.

Good luck and God bless,

Al V

alvee33 wrote:

Just a thought Dm, but are there any other budding guitarists in the church who may benefit as much as yourself to a short get together to bounce things off each other. Send the feelers out for anyone else who may be even more reluctant than you were originally to get involved. Once you get together a couple of times you'll be amazed at how much good you can do for  each other.
I also hope you get the material from Bootlegger so you can get it down with some chords for some popular songs. I know the group in my church always have at least a word sheet with corresponding chord changes so that nobody gets lost half way through a song.

Good luck and God bless,

Al V

Al,

Well...there is one other guy that "supposedly" plays guitar in my church. He always talks about how he used to play 13 years ago and how he is saving up for a guitar. I have offered him my guitar to play something on in between sunday school and regular service and he always declines. It's like he doesn't even want to hold the guitar just to show me the stuff he always talks to me about. I used to talk to him a lot about guitar but I've stopped as of a month ago because it seems like he is all talk and no action.

There are a lot of people that talk a good game but can't show what they claim. I've preemptively placed him in that bunch until he either buys another guitar or decides to show me something on mine. I don't mean to be rude but I only get 15 minutes between services to practice and I don't really want to spend it listening to someone wax smart on complicated guitar theory to make themselves feel better. So....I just kinda politely stay as far behind my audio mixing board  as possible when that time of the day comes around.

Other than him, there is one guy who plays bass but he can't bring his stuff to church anymore cause he got married and had a kid and is more obedient than me.

=\
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I picked my guitar up about 18 months ago after a break of about 10 or 11 years. It was hard getting those fingers back into shape. I have now only just reached a point where i am happy play for family and friends but 18 months ago even that would have sent me screaming from the building.
I don't know how many guitars you have but if you have more than one why not offer one to the guy as a loaner to see how he gets on. After a couple of months and he is still the same them fair enough. Just a thought.

alvee33 wrote:

I picked my guitar up about 18 months ago after a break of about 10 or 11 years. It was hard getting those fingers back into shape. I have now only just reached a point where i am happy play for family and friends but 18 months ago even that would have sent me screaming from the building.
I don't know how many guitars you have but if you have more than one why not offer one to the guy as a loaner to see how he gets on. After a couple of months and he is still the same them fair enough. Just a thought.

Thats not a bad idea Al, I'll offer him my 2nd guitar this week when I see him. I am expecting flak from the wife already, she bought me that guitar and has all kinds of sentimental connections to it. I do too but not as much as her.

Well, this sunday, the pastor officially announced me to the congregation as the new guitarist so perhaps things will begin to change with the rest of the band.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

Thats not a bad idea Al, I'll offer him my 2nd guitar this week when I see him. I am expecting flak from the wife already, she bought me that guitar and has all kinds of sentimental connections to it. I do too but not as much as her.

Well, this sunday, the pastor officially announced me to the congregation as the new guitarist so perhaps things will begin to change with the rest of the band.

=]
Dm

As mentioned in my first reply You have honored "Him" and stood true to what really mattered lifting "His" name up in praise now your reaping what you've sown. "He" is honoring you and your household. Good job! Keep it up.

Bootlegger.
(never really off the pulpit).