Topic: Scout Songs

SOMMMMEEEEBOOODDDYYYYY in my family who is adorable and 10 years old just volunteered me to be a song leader at a Cub Scout camp out.

I need a song list...any ideas are appreciated!

Re: Scout Songs

"Davy, Davy Crocket--- The King Of The Wild Frontier!"

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-10-05 02:39:06)

"Monkey and Engineer"!

"I've been Everywhere, Man!"

"Boy Named Sue"

"Yellow Submarine"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-10-05 03:06:13)

Okay, the one when I was a Scout. Sorry I can't link you to it, but maybe you can come up with some minor and sinister chords. Ready?

"You better watch out when the hearse comes by
"Cause you may be the next to die....

They wrap you up in a bloody sheet
And stick you down about 6 feet deep.

Then all goes well for about a week
And then your nose begins to leak

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
Start to play Pinockle on your snout

They eat your eyes, they eat your nose
And eat the cheese between your toes

Your guts roll out like whipping cream
And turn your face a slimy green....

PLEAAASE Pass the gravy!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------

This may not be correct as far as lyrics go, but if you take your Scouts on a trip and the mood is just right, they may not sleep too well.

Bwah smile

Bill

PS: And don't forget to take them "Snipe Hunting".......

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Oh! CUB Scouts!..... Guess you better leave that last one off then,  Baldguy!

Sorry!

Snipe Hunting could still be good though....

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Well you might check out this topic right here on good 'ol Chordie!  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19499
There are a couple of links there that might be handy in just this kind of circumstance.... especially the Kristin Hall one.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Well you might check out this topic right here on good 'ol Chordie!  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19499
There are a couple of links there that might be handy in just this kind of circumstance.... especially the Kristin Hall one.

Shoulda searched first.  Thx.

8 (edited by dino48 2016-10-05 18:49:39)

joe some john Denver,and puff the magic dragon some credence Clearwater(down on the corner and centerfield). check out the Misc movie and tv songs here at Chordie. maybe you can get the parents too let them bring their guitars too the event ,you could show them some chords etc. and you might even find a good guitar too buy .

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

joe some john Denver,and puff the magic dragon some credence Clearwater(down on the corner and centerfield). check out the Misc movie and tv songs here at Chordie. maybe you can get the parents too let them bring their guitars too the event ,you could show them some chords etc. and you might even find a good guitar too buy .

These are some GREAT suggestions, dino!............ "Got 8 cylinders and used 'em all. Got Overdrive, just won't stall!"  ----- I like 'em too, my friend! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

How about a little woody guthrie - this land is your land  ?
Johnny Horton - battle of New Orleans

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

''' from California to the New York Island!!!!"

Y'all could rock that mountain with that one!

Man! I can't wait to hear how this turns out, and bless you for caring about our Scouts! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
dino48 wrote:

These are some GREAT suggestions, dino!............ "Got 8 cylinders and used 'em all. Got Overdrive, just won't stall!"  ----- I like 'em too, my friend! smile

Thanks Bill.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

MY pleasure, my friend! ..... Ready?.......'With a four-barrel carb and dual exhaust with 4 'leven gears you can really get lost, got safety tubes, but I ain't scared, brakes are good. Tires fair......"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

has this happened yet?

the tv themes are always great but the ones I would suggest they probably dont know! LOL but Dukes  theme (just the good old boys)  Gilligan's island, if you can do surf music, the new Hawaii 5 O still uses the original score.  batman,  Brady bunch ect.  I can send ya some stuff from my book of camp songs.  OH cats in the cradle is good along with (as mentioned) Eagle and the Hawk by John Denver (loosly known as the only rocking song by him or the John Denver grunge song lol)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

has this happened yet?

the tv themes are always great but the ones I would suggest they probably dont know! LOL but Dukes  theme (just the good old boys)  Gilligan's island, if you can do surf music, the new Hawaii 5 O still uses the original score.  batman,  Brady bunch ect.  I can send ya some stuff from my book of camp songs.  OH cats in the cradle is good along with (as mentioned) Eagle and the Hawk by John Denver (loosly known as the only rocking song by him or the John Denver grunge song lol)

Nope, I have 1.5 weeks to learn them. Camp out is next weekend.

bgd you might want too add Dirty old egg sucking dog to my list above (johnny cash song).

Sixteen Tons...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I have since found out that I'm not leading songs at camp tomorrow. I have actually been volunteered to perform a few at the campfire.
Pros:
- I know lots of music.
- I don't need to worry about 75 copies of lyric sheets.
Cons:
- Are "Let's Get It On" and ""No Diggity" age appropriate?

So anywho, I really appreciate all the help and advice. While reading through this post and Doug's link I remembered a song that I sang back in camp. I think it's called "The Green Grass Grew All Around." I've dusted that off and learned it and printed a few copies of lyrics. It's a fun call and response tune. I am also gonna try and get them to sing Camptown Races with me. Wish me luck!

BGD

PS I ordered a tent and it did not show up. Late last night I splurged on a tent from REI that I've never used before and have no idea how to put up, and it's been raining all day. So REALLY wish me luck. lol

Too bad about the tent ,the scouts may get points if they put it up for you. I think I would ask the scoutmaster how approate the songs will be the ones you are performing.  Good of you too be helping the scouts out!!.Good luck!

It only took 2 hours to put up.

21 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-10-15 11:03:28)

Interestingly enough, a few of the songs here, when I've looked the WHOLE song up (because I can only remember a few verses), I'm not so sure they'd be appropriate!  Ha ha!  BUT, a few songs that come to mind from when I was a girl scout (not necessarily endorsed by the council) are:

The hearse song (SHOOT - I see BILL already suggested this one... )
Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts (a little less gross than the above)
Boom Chicka Boom (we did this in GS, just using different voices, not words)
On Top of old Smokey:  here's a few different lyrical versions and this site has some other scout songs on it too http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/so … ey-496.asp
Baby Bumble Bee
The ants go marching

And... why not, Lambchops:  The song that doesn't end:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXHXUgXG1tM

Ok - I know you already have the tent up (2 hours!  GAH!  I hope it's like a 12 person tent or something crazy like that), and probably don't have time to learn any of these ones.  However, I have a feeling this won't be the last time you are leading songs!  So, there's a few more when you've got time to look.

*edit notes about the hearse song

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

22 (edited by dino48 2016-10-15 16:44:37)

Baldguitardude wrote:

It only took 2 hours to put up.

I would have been sleeping in my car. I hope they gave you a lot of smoories. I am glad you helped them out. Las Vages May be getting the Oakland Raiders football team.

Ok so the weekend went great.  I did the "green grass grew all around" as a sing along and parents and kids seemed to enjoy it.  Then we had a flag retirement ceremony so I figured out a quick solo acoustic version of America the Beautiful.

Tent was way easier to tear down and now that I have it figured out I bet 20-25 minutes to set up by myself. 

Thanks for all the help and input y'all!  I need a 4 hour long shower.

Set them up once and they are way easy the next time. Ya showers help a lot after camping.