Search options (Page 19 of 200)
Nice one Pedr, I'd forgotten about that. I took part in the national Eisteddfod when it was held in Llanelli in the late 50's. Because I was tall I was chosen as a soldier so I take it from that that the army was sent in to quell the rioters and as our mini pageant went arrested many. After our performance at the maes, field or showground, we then performed at a local theatre, then at the Albert hall in London. Maybe that's where I got my love of performing from? The skit was called "gat y Sandy" (pronounced, gaat) which is a road leading into town and the gate was positioned on the bridge which is still there.
In primary school I remember the teacher telling us an "apparently " true tale on a farmer arriving at the gate with his donkey cart and being asked to pay, the farmer refused and got turned away. He returned later pulling the cart himself with the donkey inside the cart! The charge couldn't be applied so he got through. I'm trying to remember how the story goes and translate from the Welsh. Hope it makes sense?
I know what you mean. A lot of UK supermarket foods are labelled "farmer friendly" or " responsibly sourced" on the flip side: have you ever seen a poor farmer? They all seem to have these luxurious new tractors and BMW's even though they plead poverty! When I was gigging in rural areas the farmers would always amble in around 11 o'clock and drink double whisky and always stink of cow manure.
We have 3 main political parties now: conservative, labour and liberal democrats. A hundred years ago we had just two, Tories and wigs, Tories were the rich land owners, lords and the entitled, wigs were also land owners but were mainly farmers who employed local "surf's" to work the land and get paid a pittance! This system came to an end with WW1 and the emergence of the workers or Labour party. I'm not going to get into politics here but just to say I have no love for the filthy rich nor profiteering business men.
Amen, sorry for the sermon....well it is Sunday
Pedr, your angst leaps off the screen there. I love the fact that the southern hemispheres greatest truthsayer has regained his voice and no doubt throwing eggs in the face of those grocery profiteers!
here's a song I wrote back in October called "Pour me Another Drink" re-recorded just guitar and vocal
https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/pour- … al_sharing
Hey Jim, so sweet, your guitar playing is improving and your singing too.
She said "this is a secret, no one else need ever know"
I replied "of course not, to this to thee I vow"
So now to you I tell it, but you must promise this
Once you know this secret, it must never pass your lips
Yet I wonder can I trust you?
On your honour swear a tryst
May the green grass and the blue sky
Keep our fumbling safe within.
We strolled along a tree lined road
No wider than a cart
Her beauty put the day to shame
To her I gave my heart
Soon longing overcame us
And I swear upon the stars
Undressing there before me
We shared the chocolate bar.
I understand that Jeff, I was asking if some of our other wordsmiths could offer some insights into this subject? I must say on another reading your imagery is fascinating and brings to light sights we take for granted and reminds me of a stroll I took with a young lady 50 or so years ago down, or up a beautiful privet hedged lane on a warm sunny summer's day, ah the innocence of youth! It would be nice to return to my teens but not that young lady.
Brilliant Jeff continuing the conspiracy theme. I found myself reading every word carefully yet eager to find the resolution at the end. It didn't disappoint. Well done, very lyrical and entertaining. I wonder if we'll get some more...I hope so.
You could be on to something here Graham, it could mean serious consequences and I've often wondered why people would post nonsense replies, unless as you say there is some coded message hidden so the authorities don't suspect? The moderators need to be more diligent and ban and remove these idiot posts ASAP.
Merry Christmas to all chordians and their families and when the new year arrives let's hope it's better than the old one.
Jim could you send me an email please?
We'll ignore that pre-spam above. Graham that may have been rubbish to you but the punters like what the punters like unfortunately.
Sounds like you had a great buzz going on. (That young lady preferred to look at herself than the band?) I wish I could have come to that party, maybe next year? LOL
So chilled, are you sure Jeff wasn't sleeping?
Hi Graham. I'd love to see your vids but I won't join Facebook for many reasons, if you could post them on YouTube I'd be grateful.
Christine passed yesterday morning and I feel gutted for the loss of a great talent. She will be missed by her family, friends, her fans and the music industry as a whole.
Another name on that growing list of names on the great band in the sky.
All theses guitars are good but it's no good saying "buy this one cos I got one and it's great/suits me." Go to a good reputable store and try as many as you like, find the one that suits you best and if you can get it cheaper on-line, tell them you'll think it over and come back while you buy it on-line.
Jim yeah hanging in there...just! No they're not my family it's a stock photo from Google as I didn't have time to search for a family one. Thanks for the kind words and great to see you back posting.
Love to the family.
: RAIN
I didn't like my first few tries with just voice and guitar so I did it this way'
FSOTM
https://soundcloud.com/iphillfine/rain? … al_sharing
Good to see you guys are well and fighting fit, but where's Jim?
You sing this song with a ton of attitude. Very enjoyable and great to hear you sing and play again, you got the uke/voice mix perfect. You may not believe this but I've only recently heard this song for the first time? Well done.
Sorry to hear that Pedr, can anything be done?
Solidarity my kiwi brothers. I haven't eaten NZ lamb for over 50 years. Nor Welsh lamb come to that, I just don't like lamb! Give me a good beef steak every time with chips and petit pois!
that is so funny and so true. supermarkets are rationing eggs! milk prices are 50% more expensive than a year ago. and now chickens and turkeys are dying from bird flu.
there was an american on youtube yesterday complaining of having to pay $7 a GALLON for petrol (gas) while we pay £6 a litre and there's 5 litres to a gallon!
so thanks Graham for a little light hearted sarcasm on an otherwise depressing day.
Anyone else noticed that our US cousins are very quiet? Is pootin blocking Chordie there or what?
Just got the chance to hear it. Big thumbs up my friend. Now here's a remedy that might help...
Pint of water
Tea spoon of salt
Teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
Teaspoon of sugar, don't worry you don't swallow it!
Gargle several times a day and suck a jakemans in-between.
I know you've said it's your lungs not your throat but give it a try. And rest your voice as much as you can.
Christ mass has very little to do with religion any more, it's all to do with the rich man's profits.
it's hard giving up something you love doing or even taking a back seat. i've been doing it for 50 years and i always said once i stop enjoying it i would stop. to be honest i haven't stopped enjoying it, but my knees just wont stand the 2-3 hours of standing then carrying the gear out; house to car, car to stage, stage to car, car to house. then there's the performing and the driving maybe not getting home till 3 o'clock.
i guess you have a pump to help clear you lungs? the punters just don't realise the stuff performers have to go through.
Posts found: 451 to 475 of 4,984