That sounds great - Phill did a great job on track - cool song !!
Way to Go Brian

Cheers, Jim     

52

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

https://on.soundcloud.com/pTpSxw1vA8MPXxIsCF

A song I have been working on for a long time 

53

(1 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Blame this one on Peatle  smile

https://soundcloud.com/james-kenyon-997 … al_sharing

What an incredible story this is.

Hope you enjoy it - THANK YOU so much Pete -   you are the true Loremaster of Chordie !!

Cheers

Jim 

54

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Graham
Thanks for your kind words.  I would have no clue as to how to do that  smile   

Pete
Thanks
That article by Wright was incredible - I just accidentally came across it.


Cheers,

Jim     

55

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

I read an article by Wright Thompson featured by a  ESPN story on Muhammad Ali. (the link : https://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story … ected=true )Jimmy Robinson was the first fighter Muhammad Ali fought......   Wright Thompson conducted  a search to get his autograph....... leading the searcher into the lives of the homeless in Overton (near Miami)  As I read it - my focus shifted (as I believe Wright's did as well) from the story of Jimmy Robinson to the lives of the people that surrounded him . It was fascinating and so sad. I took a lot  of the descriptions that Wright used and turned them into this song.   Gives a glimpse into some desperate lives !   Here is the link : https://on.soundcloud.com/MluOa6lVVWzxLJJtiD
Verse 1

Down in Overtown where the shadows sleep
Like broken-wing pigeons searching the ground
Worn-out people drift through the heat
For a little shade when the sun beats down

Checking every cigarette butt they find
The addicts and the sick all huddled near
For one more smoke, one more way to kill time
The world keeps moving like they ain't even here

Chorus
They're waiting on the breeze
Just waiting on the breeze
Tomorrow's just another day
Of trying not to leave
A cardboard bed, a shopping cart
A pocket full of dreams deceased
In a world where no one knows your name
seems they're just waiting, on the breeze

Verse 2
No trace of  Sweet Jimmy Robinson's trail
every road followed seemed to disappear
he stood with Clay before the Ali fame 
Into stories nobody cared  to hear

Pool halls that once knew every name
Now boarded up like forgotten dreams
Jimmy's shadow's all that's left behind
Where the past comes apart at the seams

Chorus
They're waiting on the breeze
Just waiting on the breeze
Tomorrow's just another day
Of trying not to leave
A cardboard bed, a shopping cart
A pocket full of dreams, now deceased
In a world where no one knows your name
just broken lives, waiting on the breeze

Bridge

Some die alone with nothing in their hands
No one left to call out their name
Some simply close their eyes one day
‘cause it’s easier to die, than live with the pain
mmmmmmmmmmm…… it’s sad
The past is buried underneath the streets
even Sweet Jimmy’s gone, like he never breathed
Verse 3
A pile of trash in a darkened room
A welcome mat beside the wall
A single shoe sitting on top like a tomb
For people the world forgot to call

What was it we were searching for?
Was it just the fighter everybody knew?
Or proving that a life was really there
Before it vanished from our view?

Outro

People with stories nobody reads
Faces fading piece by piece
They're waiting on the breeze
Just waiting on the breeze

And all they really leave behind
are names carved in fading memories
mmmmmmmmmmm………
their dust gathered all through the streets
ooooooooooohhhhh…..Sweet Jimmy,
where did you disappear too ?
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…….
Are you still waiting on the breeze
…………waiting on the breeze
In a world where it seems no one exists,
…………….. people  are waiting on the breeze
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………….
Sweet Jimmy’s gone on the breeze 
Sweet Jimmy’s gone on the breeze

I just finished writing this one this morning. 
Probably describes half the single men in America smile

https://on.soundcloud.com/PKikryUOnngaWutyDw 
Have a great week !

Cheers Jim 

Joe,
your delivery of the song brings such emotion that Ai never will be able to recreate !  Well Done sir !!

Jim     

58

(2 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Peter

once again your words are spot on.
I wish I had thought of your last line in this post..... " the world can fall down around people and start a downward spiral that some can't escape.     "   I would have put it in the lyrics.
If I re -do the song someday - I may add them ! smile
Cheers
Jim     

59

(9 replies, posted in Poems)

Pete -   you are the sole inventer 

"Symphatics" is not a standard English word.

Others that are close....................

Sympathetic — showing understanding, compassion, or support.
"She was sympathetic to his situation."
Sympathies — feelings of pity or understanding.
"You have my sympathies."
Sympathetics — a less common plural form referring to sympathetic people or things related to sympathy.     

60

(9 replies, posted in Poems)

wow
pete   
thanks for sharing that.it is awesome.
like to see a program like that here in US

it fits in with the last song I just posted today -  pretty well


and lastly-   I think you should post a top 10 list of the best Kiwi slang words and phrases - but don't match them up - see if the rest of us can do it correctly
probably be a few laughs in it

Cheers Jim     

61

(2 replies, posted in Songwriting)

I read an article by Wright Thompson featured by a ESPN story on Muhammad Ali. (the link : www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story…on&redirected=true ) Jimmy Robinson was the first fighter Ali fought...... there was a search to get his autograph....... leading the searcher into the lives of the homeless in Overton (near Miami) As I read it - my focus shifted (as I believe Wright's did as well) from the story of Jimmy Robinson to the lives of the people that surrounded him . It was fascinating and so sad. I took some of the descriptions that Wright used and turned them into this song. I used the genre of Rap/hip hop to get the message across.   It really makes you think about how fortunate we are


here is the song on soundcloud    https://on.soundcloud.com/CURj0bG53nlrSjKZFw 

Bill,
I remember it well

Here it is !!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsSuueEGQSM

Jim     

63

(2 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Re vamped this song.......   

This reminds of Peatle and many of the poems he has written on wrongs that need to be changed to make the world a better place.
Hope you like it.

https://on.soundcloud.com/8hHURdvLHjeS8rViwf 


p.s.  Pete - I made it Jazzy So Maree will listen to it !  smile

64

(10 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

Bill

Nah,  as far as my experiences with you, arrogance never occurred !  I have only ever experienced
kindness, great information, genuine care, interesting stories, and a willingness to give myself and others here on Chordie support and assistance whenever needed.
There are no apologies necessary.  I was really sorry to hear about the heart attack, but I’m thankful you’re still here with us. The world still needs your musical wisdom, your spirit, and that stubborn fire musicians seem to carry no matter what life throws at them.

Right now the only tune that matters is one that gets you healthy again. Take your time, heal up, and don’t rush . We at Chordie will still be waiting for you when you’re ready to return more frequently. .
We are  pulling for you, wishing you strength, peace, and a full recovery. And when you’re back on your feet, I expect to see some great, insightful posts here again.
As Bob Dylan would say,  " Keep on keepin' on"  my friend. I wish you a speedy recovery and  good health !

Take care my friend,

Jim     

65

(1 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Well, I heard yesterday on the Radio that memorial day was traditonally the day that kicks off summer. It  made me remember a song I wrote 12  years ago. 
here it is
https://on.soundcloud.com/WtF9Da0mC9AYte6zNc

Happy and Healthy summer to all!  (and I guess the coming of winter in the lands down under!)

Good to have that 6th one !!!   smile

Nice playing on a cool song

Jim     

Wrote this song a while ago -- revamped it
I think there's 35 songs in it - how many can you find ?

https://on.soundcloud.com/VnZM7xHbukDQuDTXVU 

68

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Bored today as it was raining all day. Dragged out an old song that I had posted before on chordie.  Changed it up quite a bit - used Ai to record it.  This is how it came out.
https://soundcloud.com/james-kenyon-997 … from-texas 
sounds pretty good to me - 

69

(0 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Song I wrote about soldiers ( I wrote about American soldiers - but it's really about all soldiers)

https://on.soundcloud.com/eja7DVDSct7FbbYCkq 

70

(1 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Song I wrote 4 years ago.....  changed a few lyrics    -worked into a rock song

https://on.soundcloud.com/AyfLlloj3zG2FPCnzK 

Graham - I think your band could play a version of this !
Hope you like it.

Jim 

Graham,
you guys rocked that song ! Sounded great.  Listened to it with headphones - shut my eyes - it was like I was right in the front row of your performance !  Really, really, good ! Thanks for Sharing!
Jim     

Richard

That was awesome !

Jim     

73

(1 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Thought it came out pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNeR8c0T-0 

I was listening to the radio n my car and heard Peter Frampton tell his story about how his mom had a chance to get a total scholarship to an acting school and her Mom said no- you will be a Secretary and support your family !!
When he was playing London gigs in his early days - his dad tried to squash it, but his mom stood her ground and said no - he gets to follow his dreams. I saw him perform at East Stroudsburg State College in (I think) 1974 or 75. in an auditorium, Few weeks later he was playing Cow Palace in San Francisco. This year is the 50th anniversary of Frampton Comes alive ! His use of the voice box ( he was not the first to use it) was awesome! Anyways , after listening to his interview - I wrote this tribute song. These are the lyrics: “Rock n’ Roll Sets Me Free”

https://soundcloud.com/james-kenyon-997 … -50-rock-n   

Verse 1
Twelve years old with a beat in my chest
Cheap guitar, but I loved it the best
London streets, neon shining down
I heard salvation in that rebel sound
Dad said, “Son, that road’s too wild
Find a trade, work and save awhile”
But mama smiled, put her hand on me
Said, “Boy, your wings gotta fly for me...”
Pre-Chorus
She said, “I had dreams they stole away
Don’t you let yours fade...”
Chorus
Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee
It always lets me be meeeeeee
I’m waiting for the world to seeeeeeee
That Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee
Verse 2
Mama once had silver-screen eyes
Could’ve lit up the stage, every night
But her mama said, “That ain’t gonna be your way
Get a desk… get paid… do the family right
So she wore those dreams beneath her skin
Quiet fire burnin’ deep within
When she saw that same flame in me
She swore no chain would ever be...
Pre-Chorus
She said, “I lost mine long ago
But baby… let yours show...”
Chorus
Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee
It always lets me be meeeeeee
I’m waiting for the world to seeeeeeee
That Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee
Bridge
Some are born to build the walls
Some are born to hear the call
Some play safe, some take the fall
Some were born to give it all
You just gotta find the nerve to just believe...
Final Chorus (big)
Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee
It always lets me be meeeeeee
No one’s gonna silence meeeeeee
’Cause Rock n’ roll sets me freeeeeeee

Outgo
Mama, you showed me the way
I hope you feel like I do
Mama , mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mama, This is just for you 

https://soundcloud.com/james-kenyon-997 … to-impress 

Old song I redid.   Came out pretty much how I heard it inside my head.

Probably how most of felt when we were chasing after our wives !!
It's country as usual  smile

Jim