Topic: Silence Of Soldiers

My bladder woke me this morning and when I got back into bed this was nagging me so I had to get-up put it down then record it in a matter of 3 hours. It deals with the feelings soldiers get as they come home from war, it's not just about the present conflict, but about the 1st and 2nd world wars and the Falkland conflict, and all the other wars before and since, and if you've a mind; back to time immemorial as men have always delighted in killing each other. That does not detract from the fact that these people that put their lives on the line for us are anything less than HERO'S, and I thank them for their sacrifice. It's in Waltz time

Silence of SoldiersUndefined

The silence of [F]soldiers

Coming home from the [Bb]war

They survived for their [Dm]loved ones

Made it safe for us [Gm]all

When the battle was [F]raging

Far away from their [Bb]home

All that kept their heart [Dm]beating

through the death and the [Gm]gore-[Bb]

Was the smiles on the [F]faces

Was the tears of [Am]relief

And the hugs and the [Bb]kisses

And the warmth of [Gm]release

That wars are all [Dm]over

That all men became [Bb]one

No more need for [Dm]destruction

Or the sword or the [Gm]gun-[C7]

chorus

And the silence of [F]soldiers

As they look through the [Dm]crowd

As they search for the [Gm]faces

for the ones that [F]survived

And they remember the [Gm]fallen-[Bb]

The ones that [Am]remained

[Dm]In the fields of des[Gm]truction-[Bb]

In the war hero's [F]grave

The silence of [F]soldiers

Coming home from the [Bb]war

As their children cry "[Dm]daddy, you can't leave us no [Gm]more"-[C7]

"Don't you leave us no more"-[F]

REPEAT CHORUS AND LAST VERSE

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Silence Of Soldiers

Phil this is a wonderful song I played over the changes and tried to sing where the chords changes were leading me and it just felt very moving,this is a well done from me to you, great song. russ smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Phil,

I remembered "  Pathe News" they used to show between films in the cinema years ago,
when reading this piece. Its brill Phill, everyline conjurs up an image.
Well done .

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Phill, It must be nice to be able to pen,compose and record a very good song in 3 hrs...in the middle of the night.Lots of feel and emotion in this one on an all too painful yet honorable subject.

Well Done Again smile

Kenny

PS...Check yer mail lol

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

excellent lyrics, great song.
well done

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Great work. 

If I had one criticism, it would be with the commentary...

"...men have always delighted in killing each other. "

It should be noted that most soldiers take no pleasure in their work.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks to all of your encouraging remarks

russ, thanks pal, it's great to have you as a friend and ally

helena, as i was writing this i could see all those pathe images you speak of, where the soldiers just sit in the plane or ship, and they are all so quiet, and you wonder what they're thinking about, their friends who died, their families waiting at home, i just had to put it down, thanks again

kenny, i checked now you check...lol. in actual fact, i'm working night shift this week, so i wrote it at about midday, noticed you email said 4. am? so who's the night owl?

hi ken, thanks, glad you like it

jerome,  when i wrote "men have always delighted in killing each other" what i meant was our leaders have always delighted in sending out the cannon fodder [us lower classes] to kill and be killed for their greater glory, but as you can see it wouldnt have fitted very well!
how many Victoria Crosses have been given out? and how many of the names can you remember?
we all remember churchill, bush, thatcher, hitler, or if you want to go further back, napoleon, csesar, hanibal, alexander, they all enjoyed the killing but where were they? safe at the back directing traffic. there are leaders and there are the lead, lets just hope our leaders arent as bloodthirsty and greedy as their predecessors
phill

I get the intent, and you're right.  Those that delight in war are generally those that don't have to fight in it.

Again, great song.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Phil,

Your comments prompted me to look up the details of the only Victoria Cross recipient whose name I remember, Billy McFadzean. The big wigs gave his father a third class rail ticket to London to receive his son's medal. You can read his story, and the story of the 9 other VC's awarded on the 1st day of the Battle of the Somme at ( http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/9vcs.htm ).

How many thousands died?

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Not trying to be picky or anything like like that but people like churchill, napoleon,hannibal ,alexander and even hitler fought at the front at times in their lives before they were leaders.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Hi Phill
My Father served though out the 2nd world war from the Middle East and though Europe and into Germany seeing horrors that thankfully I've never had to witness.
He never spoke much about his experiences (His silence) until later in his life.
To me all who serve in the forces have my greatest repect.
Great lyrics Phill like to hear the recording when you get round to it.
Ark

Wonderful work Phill and I can add little to the praise that has been said by everyone else, it has well crafted, thought provoking lyrics and chord sequence.

I do hope that a recording will appear soon on your MySpace.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi all,

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and fro those interested you can now find this track on myspace, just push the link on your left.

If I dont get another chance....merry Christmas and a happy new year to all Chordians

Phill

14 (edited by arkady 2008-12-19 20:53:12)

Hi All
As Phill has had trouble loading songs into his Myspace page he has recorded and put "Silence of Soldiers" on his Soundclick page and can be heard through this link
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so … ID=7112292
It's a great song and recording and deserves a listen smile
Hope you don't mind Phill....
Ark

hi ark,
i don't mind at all in fact thanks, i've tried to cut and past the link but i can't find it! am i just stupid or what? don't answer that

phill

no Phill your not ive had my share of synaptic blackouts lol

Phill Williams wrote:

hi ark,
i don't mind at all in fact thanks, i've tried to cut and past the link but i can't find it! am i just stupid or what? don't answer that

phill

"Growing old is not for sissies"

17 (edited by music_guy 2008-12-24 21:03:27)

hey phill,

This is a wonderful song that is sung from the heart. I believe that it is a great song that most of us can relate to...I sure can. Thank you for posting, its amazing!

How come we forget what we want to remember, and remember what we want to forget??