Topic: Wind Instruments

Hi Chordians, I wasn't sure where to post this so I just put it in the chat corner. This will take a little explaining so please bare with me on a lengthy thread. I need some help with my fifth grade daughter who is learning to play the clarinet and we've run into an issue with the instrument. Surely there are some trained wind instrumentalists among all the chordians on the planet smile

My little girl plays the clarinet and she was asking me for some help on a song she is learning for her school band. So I grab my axe and play the notes that she is learning so she can hear how the song is suppose to sound. After this we start to play the song together and I notice that one of use is out of tune with the other. I thought it was the guitar that was out of tune but come to find out the clarinet was a half step sharper than the guitar. We also tested it against my sons flute and got the same result. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to wind instruments but surely a G note is a G note regardless of the instrument. Is it possible that something is wrong with the clarinet or does a clarinet play a half step higher than everyone else???? I just had a thought,,,last week we had to buy new reeds for the instrument, could this have an affect on the tuning??? Can you tune a wind instrument???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Re: Wind Instruments

Woodwinds are usually tuned by moving the mouthpiece in or out.  It usually fits onto a cork surface which should frequently be greased with cork grease so the mouthpiece can move in or out easily . . .

There isn't anything wrong with the clarinet.  They are tuned to Bb, which means that standard C for her is going to be Bb for you.  Lots of wind instruments are like this.   They call them "transposing" instruments.  I played a whole lot of G bugles over the years, and it took a little bit of getting used to the idea when you were trying to accompany them.

Just remember that you're a whole tone down from where she is, and you should be able to play along together in no time.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the info but I'm still confused. 

She has a song book with the music and in the back of the book it has chord structures(hand positions) for the clarinet. Lets say she is suppose to play a "G" note according to the clef. When she plays the "G" it actually comes out as a "G#". According to the back of the book she is playing a "G" but it's not a "G"......(Golly G I've typed G more times than I ever have..:lol:)....Jerome.oneil are you saying that this is suppose to be this way? This idea is totally bizarre to me....Thank goodness my bass only has four strings, you don't have to blow into it, and G means G...:lol:

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

It is in fact supposed to be that way. smile   Your bass, guitar, piano, etc are "Concert Pitch" instruments, which generally means C on the stave is tonal C.   But when composers were writing music for these instruments, they found that the pitch they produced meant that the vast majority of the notes would be either way above, or way below the stave, so they merely transposed the notes up or down the staff to accommodate that.

So tonally, a C is a C is a C.  But when your daughter's teacher taught her that "this is the fingering and embochure for a C," what comes out of the clarinet is a Bb.

But look at the bright side.  You're dealing with two instruments.   Imagine what the guys that wrote symphonies and operas had to deal with.  big_smile

Thanks again for all the info, jerome.oneil and Royce you've truly enlightened me with all your knowledge. I knew that I'd find the answer here on chordie. This is a strange concept for me to grasp and It hurts my head to think about it...:lol:. I can't imagine the time the symphony gals/guys put into their performances to get the sound they desire. It's no wonder that all us musicians are a little bit on the nutty side...:lol:
http://www.alsimmons.com/press/pressphotos/S_horn.jpg

You're right about Bb clarinets, Jerome. What doesn't make sense is that, as far as I can make out, when fatstring's daughter plays a notated G, it should come out a whole tone lower. That would be an F, not a G#, which is a half tone higher. It's weird!

Stonebridge wrote:

You're right about Bb clarinets, Jerome. What doesn't make sense is that, as far as I can make out, when fatstring's daughter plays a notated G, it should come out a whole tone lower. That would be an F, not a G#, which is a half tone higher. It's weird!

Yep.  *That* I would attribute to instrument tuning and new reed players.  smile

Well. I just had a chat with Mrs Stonebridge, who plays clarinet. She informs me that there are also Eb clarinets and even C clarinets. We don't know which one one are dealing with here. The most common is the Bb. The "fine" tuning of the clarinet is achieved by using the barrel, which is between the mouthpiece and the main body. You just slide it up or down to tune in with the other instruments. I imagine that you must lengthen the instrument to make it play flatter and shorten it to play sharper. So, it could be a C clarinet (that plays the same notes - does not transpose - as other instruments), but is playing sharp. In which case you need to adjust the barrel and lengthen it to tune it down to your guitar. Assuming the guitar is tuned correctly.

There's clarinets in A and F, too!   E clarinets are piccolo, so I doubt that's whats up with it.   Almost every "student" clarinet I've seen is a Bb, though.  It's what they start the kids out on.   Nothing quite like the sound of 35 5th graders banging out Christmas songs on clarinets.

Anyway, the important thing is that she's keyed differently than the OP, so a little bit of transposition (in whatever direction) will have them dueting in no time.