Topic: Global Kerlabborashun Band

Now that the ''Global Kerlabborashun Band'' seems up and runnin' when do you think the first CD will hit the streets - the world awaits.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Re: Global Kerlabborashun Band

That is a good question Buvvy,

Actually there is probably enough material out there among all the members to master out at least one CD already.  At least as a compilation mix.  But I think most members are doing this more as a labor of love... the love of music.

No doubt some folks would like to do their own thing and stay independent, but might be persuaded to contribute a track or two as a promotional thing towards marketing their own CDs.  It would likely have to come together as a "non-profit" project, with the proceeds going to something, in order to steer clear of all kinds of legal hassles over that "root of all evil".

Then there is the cost factor of production, distribution, promotion etc.....  I wouldn't hold my breath, but it is an interesting thought.  IF such a project was to "come to fruition", I would think it could be accomplished.  Look how far we've come so far and this forum opened in August of this year!

But if  (and there is that if word again!) I were to throw out a best guess as to a time frame... optimistically mid-year 09.

Any comments from the members would be appropriate.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

OK Doug I have a few, first let me say I would be happy to participate in a global thingamajige I must have a quadrillion tracks(songs) to contribute for this project,second the quote "the root of all evil" is so often misquoted the correct quote is "the love of money is the root of all evil" money itself is not evil, I know I have so little of it I have to be nice lol the only stepping stone is coordinating all the tracks to put on a CD I have the necessary Programs (Nero and AVS cover design) and kunaki will make a master and use your artwork for free the only requirements is for each CD sold they ask for $1.75 plus shipping but if you ship in bulk its free and you can sell it for whatever you want,my favorite charities are The Salvation Army and the Rescue Mission because 98%of the money donated go's directly to help the needy but there are several worthwhile causes and charities we could assemble a list and choose which ones would use the donations to give direct aid to those who need it,this is a wonderful suggestion and one I am happy to embrace but the logistics of organization would have to be in place and that includes legal issues as well as a financial institution and someone to oversee and insure the proceeds find there way to these causes we select,but I'm in favor of this idea and any help I can give with my talents and equipment I will gladly donate smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell,

Something like this may give an incentive to chordians to join in on recording forum. I know there has been lengthy discussion in the songwriters section lately about words with no music, perhaps this would be the perfect opp. for those folks to put the work to song.

Anyway I think this is a great idea and you can count on me for whatever you need me to do.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Hi to all respondents - thanks for the comments. My suggestion is that no existing Chordian work is used - then no toes can be stepped on - legally or otherwise. The lyricists can be asked to submit work on preselected subjects eg. anti drugs, anti war ballads, once submitted the  musos - that's you guys - can select which ones you like and then kick them around until you have something useable, that way ALL works on the CD will be voluntary/donated. This will all be on computers so it is then irrefutebly a donated work. The bulk of all the work will fall on the shoulders of you guys, but you are all very experienced so I think that this project is a definite possibility.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Hi Peeps,

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for this one, I had a similar idea in mind my self but  I wasnt sure how to broach the subject, so well done buvvy.
I think my strongest suit is lyrics, therefore I would be happy to donate some words, or any other resource I can offer, Russel knows how to use my rather dubious talents

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Sounds like a good idea if you need an instrumental contribution I'm always willing to  give it a bash...
Ark

Well it appears that several folks have been bashing this idea around in the back of their minds.  In my opinion, I wouldn't think that one should limit the donated material to only "new" works, as long as it is "original" work.  That is to say no covers or recordings that might potentially violate someone's intellectual property rights.

At least for the first edition... There is a body of work out there all ready to draw upon, and just as the "idea 2" concept took off with a bang.  In order to keep the momentum up should the interest level be high, it would behoove us to get a pile of tracks together and see if we can sort out about 20 for the first go.  No particular theme, just a compilation of the varied works of the Chordie Community.  A "sampler" if you will.

I'm sure there will be more thoughts forthcoming on this subject, so stay tuned for the latest developments...

Take Care and Keep Yer Powder Dry;
Doug

I agree with Doug on this. why limit ourselves to only new ideas, as he has stated there are a lot of original songs from Chordie members that should be concidered as well as composing new material, and in this ever changing world the current events are repleat with ideas for songs be they protest or otherwise. smile

Thanks Ark,

I would certainly think that all manner of works would be welcome additions, instrumentals included, with a cross section of genres as varied as the global community it represents.  There seems to be a general acceptance that all are welcome here, and the only commonality required for membership is appreciation and scholarship of music. 

That sense of "openness" is one of the things that sets Chordie apart from all of the other guitar sites out there, and I'm sure a factor in the continued success and popularity of the venue.

Just as there was in the beginning of this recording section, "great minds" are skulling out the implications and nuances of this CD production concept.  As questions and thoughts are revealed, resolutions shall be rendered.....  so it is written. LOL

Input.... need input....  keep those cards and letters coming in folks, believe me with your help we can make it happen!

Thanks;
Doug

11 (edited by getfiddle 2008-12-14 04:54:21)

I'm interested in contributing a song! One question. I don't have a band, so if I send a song, it will just be guitar and vocals. "In my mind", I'm not a very good singer. When you receive it, you can determine for yourself whether you want to use it or not.
                                                                                                                               getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Hey Getfiddle,

Well that is the beauty of this whole collaboration concept.  You say you don't have a band.... but you do!  You just may not have met us all yet.  One of the reasons we are here and this forum exists is to find new ways to use the technology available to help each other do what we cannot do ourselves.
  What we can do is take your guitar and vocal tracks and toss them out there into the hands of the magicians of the crew (and some are magicians) and with your guidance, help you find the result you would be happy with.  Changes can be slight or substantial depending on the desires of the composer (that means you) and you control the output.  You would be surprised what a bass line and second string can add, and a backup vocal to compliment what you have may be just the ticket.

Give it some thought, and we really do appreciate the offer.

Thanks and Take Care;
  Doug

It' looks like were in the same boat, I dont think anybody has a clear cut idea, I think whats important is that we kick around some ideas and go from there smile
smile 

getfiddle wrote:

I'm interested in contributing a song! One question. I don't have a band, so if I send a song, it will just be guitar and vocals. "In my mind", I'm not a very good singer. When you receive it, you can determine for yourself whether you want to use it or not.
                                                                                                                               getfiddle

I would be happy to contribute, just let me know when and who to send the song to.
                                                                                                                     getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle one of the "stickys" in the recording forum reads something like "members willing to help" and there is a list of producers select one and email this person and they will help coordinate the musicians and handle the recording, you will get a rough draft for your approval and if any changes or additions that you want to be included let this person know,its your song and you have the final say on it smile

getfiddle wrote:

I would be happy to contribute, just let me know when and who to send the song to.
                                                                                                                     getfiddle

Thanks Russell. I will do that.
                                     getfiddle

NOMINATIONS: OK we have to start somewhere so this is as good a place as any,I would like to nominate "Death and Paupers" by Lena O'Donovan (old doll) with a suggestion to mix the voice up over the music, its a little hard to understand all the words that's my only criticism, but I believe it would make a great contribution to this global project. smile

I nominate Grey Skies, and or The Wait both by Jeff Gilpin. In my opinion, two well written
songs!
      getfiddle

OK keep um comming smile

How about Phill Williams "Silence of Soliders"  I think this would make a fine addition and also a few of Arkadys, Ark you can select  which of your songs you would like to add ok,another good one is 'Flag of my heart Comfort of misery" by unhhuh smile

Hi Russ
Maybe it would be an idea if Chordians who are up for this CD would like to donate/nominate a few of there own pieces say 2 or 3 and you can decide which ones to include in the CD.
and then take it from there..
Phills got some great songs same as yourself and Roger... (He maybe a bit busy at the Moment smile
and many others here James etc..
Anyway here's mine..
and in no particular order
Lunar Spirits
Afhganistan Deployment
Copernicus
Ark

Ark all of these are great and I agree James and Roger also have some worthy songs that could be contributed, its hard for me to select one of my own, hopefully one will be suggested and relieve me of this choice but I do like Meshack the instrumental song thats on myspace now, I redesigned my profile page and reloaded 6 songs but the profile design is only temporary I am planning to change it in a day or so smile

Any of my songs are available for this project.

Perhaps "Wrapped in Happiness" which involves more Chordians than any other song (until someone takes the challenge and exceeds it) might be considered. I particularly like Helena's 'Cracker and the Ring' which involves four of us too.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Good choices Roger,I think there will be enough room for quite a few songs from members Im lookin for around 25 or more,possibly as a 2 CD set so I will post a special list and make it a sticky to add to starting with the suggestions recieved so far, the topic will be named simply "SONGS FOR CHORDIE CD" and it can be modified as we go smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Any of my songs are available for this project.

Perhaps "Wrapped in Happiness" which involves more Chordians than any other song (until someone takes the challenge and exceeds it) might be considered. I particularly like Helena's 'Cracker and the Ring' which involves four of us too.

Roher

riddler I like the song you and fatstrings did that I put a lead guitar part on I named it "Etherial Lullaby" if you have another name you would like to submit for it thats ok but I would like to include this on the CD's smile