1 (edited by zenbutcher 2008-12-15 18:37:23)

Topic: I've been asked to perform at church...

and I'm a little nervous.  I asked for a day to think about it before answering, but here is my "knee jerk" reaction:  I feel obligated as a christian to help spread the message of Christ; and if that means playing guitar, then I should look at that as a blessing.

I am just wondering if any of you have advice on performing like this.  The premise will be:  a "live" manger setting in a barn with people dressed up.  I've been asked to play one song - "Away In A Manger".  Then, I suppose, we'll have a Sunday School lesson.  I don't know any of the particulars, such as if there will be power or anything.  But, I figure I can bring my acoustic, buy an "in-hole" pickup, and bring my amp.  That way, I am covered either way.  (I used to perform shows in a rock band using an acoustic/electric Takamine - now I have a straight acoustic Takamine).

I am thinking that if I do it, I would like to do some type of finger picking, chord and melody, all-in-one thing.  Similar to, say, a Willie Nelson style.  Thankfully, I won't be singing.

(edit)
.....Oh, and if anyone has a link to a strong chord/tab version for this song, it would be greatly appreciated.  I have already found a few examples on tab robot to incorporate.  They all seem to center around the key of C or G, which seems good since I could use some open strings to help support the chord structure.

Re: I've been asked to perform at church...

hi zenbutcher if you've played in a band your already on a winner see if any of your old band will come and join in to give a bitof moral support....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

zenbutcher I have performed in church solo with just a guitar or mandoline and its no different then any other gig people are people, just relax and sing from the heart I have a version of "away in the manger" on my web site there are at least four verses for it, and remember if your singing for the lord he forgives mistakes and bad chords smile

zenbutcher wrote:

and I'm a little nervous.  I asked for a day to think about it before answering, but here is my "knee jerk" reaction:  I feel obligated as a christian to help spread the message of Christ; and if that means playing guitar, then I should look at that as a blessing.

I am just wondering if any of you have advice on performing like this.  The premise will be:  a "live" manger setting in a barn with people dressed up.  I've been asked to play one song - "Away In A Manger".  Then, I suppose, we'll have a Sunday School lesson.  I don't know any of the particulars, such as if there will be power or anything.  But, I figure I can bring my acoustic, buy an "in-hole" pickup, and bring my amp.  That way, I am covered either way.  (I used to perform shows in a rock band using an acoustic/electric Takamine - now I have a straight acoustic Takamine).

I am thinking that if I do it, I would like to do some type of finger picking, chord and melody, all-in-one thing.  Similar to, say, a Willie Nelson style.  Thankfully, I won't be singing.

(edit)
.....Oh, and if anyone has a link to a strong chord/tab version for this song, it would be greatly appreciated.  I have already found a few examples on tab robot to incorporate.  They all seem to center around the key of C or G, which seems good since I could use some open strings to help support the chord structure.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2008-12-15 21:12:07)

Hi Zen. Just one thing popped into my head regarding the key. I have been to so many such services where the key chosen was too high, and very few people were able or willing to join in!

Away in a Manger probably needs to be in G rather than C, if you want to give the most people a chance of getting the most notes in their vocal range.

Good luck.

Edited to add. I'm referring to the tune usually sung in the UK (by WJ Kirkpatrick)
There may be other tunes out there.

If you're a Christian and are confused over whether a particular action is appropriate for you, then I would recommend separating yourself to a quiet place, pray to receive an answer or direction, and then sit quietly and listen for one. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Just force yourself to do it.  You will really feel good about yourself when its over.  And the next time will be easier.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I just had a right good laugh at Zurf's reply. Thing is I dont know if he is serious or not lol But no matter it is a funny witty reply.

I woud say it doesnt matter if it is a church or a living room in front of friends, if you get nervous you will get nervous, most of us do.
Good thing about in the church I suppose is they wil be very forgiving if you muck it up.
But if you can play ok in your own company then jut think in your head thats what you are doing. Once you get by the first song and there are no funny looks or booing then yer on a winner and it will boost your confidence.

Good luck.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I am playing for a school talent show this week, a church program this weekend, and again at church on Christmas Eve.  Both venues involve a decent number of people, but the difference is who they are.  I'm friends with just about everyone at my church, and even if I did mess up, they wouldn't care, because they've seen me play good before and after all, we're only human.  I'm a lot more nervous for the school talent show, because there's a lot of idiots out there who aren't as understanding as fellow Christians if you mess up.  So lately, in addition to practicing my song, I've been trying to get in the mind-set of "I don't care what nobody thinks of me".  My true friends will still be my friends even if I go up there and can't play a single note, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks.  I don't need their approval, because I have heard myself play good and inside I know I'm a decent guitar player.  And I probably will do a good job anyway, no matter how nervous I get.  So even at church, where people tend to be friendlier and more understanding, getting in this mind-set will help you immensely.  Whether Zurf's reply was intended as sarcasm or not, you'd be well off to pray and just ask that no matter how good or bad you do, that you could still minister to people through it.  Also, the key is to use your nervousness to your advantage, and not to let it take hold of you.  Don't look like you're nervous, and you won't sound like it.  I can all but gurantee that you will do a great job.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I played tuba with John Reno today for 2nd and 3rd graders at a local school. This is our 9th year to do this.
I googled words and music for "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" and tried to talk John into singing it for the kids.
He told me to take his guitar and sing it even if I had to read it. The kids would like it.
I did. They did. They sang along.
That was fun. I appreciate good advice.
We have upcoming concerts at the Montessori School and Women's and Children's Hospital this season.
I'm fired up enough to play and sing it for those guys too.
Why not?
We only live once.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I play in church every sunday, but me and one other guitarist and a guy on bass did a special last sunday night and I was nervous too.... people at church are generally a very supportive audience though, and the one good thing is they're alot less likely to call you out on any mistakes than somebody say at a bar, or who payed for a ticket. One thing I can say from experience, you're wise to bring the acoustic, because you never know what kind of set up you're gonna get into. The one thing you DO NOT want is to have to plug into a sound booth that somebody else is controlling, i always bring my own.

All You Need is Love smile

upyerkilt wrote:

I just had a right good laugh at Zurf's reply. Thing is I dont know if he is serious or not lol But no matter it is a funny witty reply.

Totally serious.  Not running down anyone who prays.  More prayer time, and especially more listening time during prayer is an area of improvement for myself, and I suspect for a whole lot of we Christians.  We're so busy trying to figure out what's the right thing to do on our own that we forget we can ask the good Lord directly.  My Dad taught me, and I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise, that all prayers are answered and furthermore that there are only three answers: yes, no, and not yet.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

zenbutcher,
  I've been playing music in front of various groups of people for over 2/3rds of my physical life in this universe. It's 100% normal to be nervous, if you're not nervous then you don't care. You obviously care about the quality of your perfromance. Commit yourself to the version of the song you wish to play and play said song as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable with it. And realize that all of us musicians are 10 times better playing at home alone than we are playing in front of others(haha). After a few good strums on your guitar the power and majestical force of music will guide you, no matter where you are, and you'll be just fine..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Try it, you'll like it. There ain't nothing you and God can't do together.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Zurf wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:

Totally serious.  Not running down anyone who prays.  More prayer time, and especially more listening time during prayer is an area of improvement for myself, and I suspect for a whole lot of we Christians.  We're so busy trying to figure out what's the right thing to do on our own that we forget we can ask the good Lord directly.  My Dad taught me, and I haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise, that all prayers are answered and furthermore that there are only three answers: yes, no, and not yet.

- Zurf

errr eh ok,

Totally different wave lengths, it was still funny for a person like me that only beleives in the lord satan lol
joking, he is not real either lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:
Zurf wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:

- Zurf

errr eh ok,

Totally different wave lengths, it was still funny for a person like me that only beleives in the lord satan lol
joking, he is not real either lol

Ken

I did preface the comment "If you are a Christian..."  Given the person is a Christian to begin with, then prayer seems like an appropriate activity.  For someone of a different faith it may or may not make sense, and for someone of no faith at all it makes no sense (but isn't a bad idea, if you know what I'm saying, hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

- Zurf

Just focus on doing it for God and have faith in him. Then God will see that you do a great job. That being said there isn't anything to worry about or be nervous for.

Zurf, if as you say, all prayers are answered, why has my wife of 35 years not spontaneously combusted by now or should I still have faith.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Charlotte,

The answer was "No." 

- Zurf

Russell_Harding wrote:

zenbutcher I have performed in church solo with just a guitar or mandoline and its no different then any other gig people are people, just relax and sing from the heart I have a version of "away in the manger" on my web site there are at least four verses for it, and remember if your singing for the lord he forgives mistakes and bad chords smile

zenbutcher wrote:

(edit)

i second Mr. Harding

The world is only going to get worse!