Topic: Melody Harp!

Hi ,

Anyone here on chordie know anything about OR play a melody Harp  ? .

Thanking You,

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Melody Harp!

Do you mean an  "Auto Harp"  such as the Suzuki model ?

Old Doll wrote:

Hi ,

Anyone here on chordie know anything about OR play a melody Harp  ? .

Thanking You,

Old Doll.

Hi Old Doll,
  Here's something I dug up;

http://www.songsea.com/melodyharp.html

Ciao Bella,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hello Old Doll and Southpaw41L,

Sadly I have one of those.... it is in it's original box and was a gift to my wife when she was a little girl.  A very simple instrument as the music for it is on cards shaped to be inserted from below and self indexing.  Notes are scored as dots directly below the string to be plucked, so no musical knowledge (as reading music) is necessary to play the tune.  A greatly simplified hammer dulcimer and a nice "first instrument" for a youngster.

Southpaw's link is spot on.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank You all,

Yes! thats it. My problem is One of my younger woman friends hails from Navada.

She has been home recently, and brought one back with her. she has given it to me to tune ??? well i can only hear 2 strings
out of tune. But im scared ill break the strings. She thought i could use my guitar tuner ? I dont know. if i can ?
her children are young and go to the "Steiner School "near us here. For those who dont know the Steiner System. Heres a link.
http://www.steiner-australia.org/other/overview.html
Its a fantastic way to teach kids. { wish id had it for my own } She wants to learn herself, so she can play this with her 4 year old.
I must admit i have already played it. Its fantastic.  Im gonna buy one for myself... Its like a wee zitar, its a  lovely sound.

Old Doll..

Hello Again Helena,

Open the box and here is the "tuning card" for the instrument and you should be able to use your guitar tuner for it providing you have a key or somesuch to twist the pegs.

The instrument is tuned to a major scale usually in G ascending: G A B C D E F# G A....

It doesn't take much turning to result in large changes in pitch so go at it gently.

Hope that helps.

Happy Christmas;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Old Doll,
Here's the tuning/replacing strings section of the melody harp;
Replacing a broken string can be done at home.  Please read the instructions carefully and completely and think it through before attempting each step. You will  need the following tools: 
Eye protection, needle-nosed pliers and wire cutters. 
1.  Wear eye protection (this is important!) as you carefully pull the broken wire off the tuning pins with the pliers. 

2.  Loosen the tuning pins three turns counter-clockwise (but not more!)  For all but the bottom wire, you will need to loosen two separate tuning pins. 

3. Uncoil the replacement wire and slide either end one half inch through one of the tuning pin's hole. Note that the wire winding around the pin should be below the hole. 

4.  Use needle-nosed pliers to bend the half inch of wire protruding from the hole upward. 

5.  Keep the wire taut and turn the tuning pin clockwise three turns make sure the wire which winds around the pin ends up below the tuning pin hole.  Keeping the wire taut and below the tuning pin hole is very important. 

6.  Loop the wire around both pegs on the left side of the Melody Harp. 

7.  Slide the wire through the next pin's holes.  With your left hand, pull down on the wire four string's worth of slack (pull it down a distance of four times that which is between in tact strings.) 
  The remainder of the wire will protrude from the hole. Remember that the wire must go around the pin in a clockwise fashion, and then through the hole. 

8.  Turn the last tuning pin three turns clockwise (the slack will be taken up).  Keep the wire taut as you turn the pin.  Remember to keep the wire which winds around the pin below the tuning pin's hole. 

9.  As soon as the wire will stay on the pin cut the excess wire from both pins (wear eye protection).  Cut as close to the edge of the tuning pin as possible. Be careful as the wire is quite sharp. 
10.  Tune your Melody Harp. 
The tuning is a "G Major" scale with F natural instead of F sharp.  From low to high strings, this scale consists of the notes  G, A, B,C, D,  E, F, and G.

Good Luck, hope this is helpful....

Ciao Bella,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

8 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-12-25 21:24:01)

Old Doll,
Here is a guy we all love around here. He plays with his right hand fingernails a lot. He has a kit he keeps in his guitar case to replace a broken nail in two minutes good as new.
Here is a video of him playing his autoharp.
He is Gove Scrivenor and sounds great playing guitar in alternate tunings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gn83I3w … re=related

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thank you all so much for your help on this one !

You will be pleased to know "I DID GET IT IN TUNE ! whoohoo!  Tedious i must say! youd need the patience of a saint lol, But it does sound fab !. So thank  you , thank you.  oh! and i didnt break a string lol.

Tubatooter ! I love wallet and Glasses.. Its me to a tee..   

While im scooting quickly through here, I'd like to Wish  all a very bountiful and Happy new Year.

Gods Blessings for 2009.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dcLMH8pwusw

Old Doll.