Topic: Amps

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at amps for an electric guitar, but not knowing much about them I thought I'd ask everyone's advice. I can only spend about $150.00 to $200.00 for one so please keep that in mind. Like everyone else I want the most bang for my buck. What I'm looking for is an amp that has a good clean sound and one that has at least some distortion, maybe one that would be used to play classic rock, or something bluesy, and maybe someone could explain the tube amp to me. So see I need some help or advice about amps and would appreciate any advice.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Amps

Line 6 Spider III combos are awesome, they have great sound and a ton of effects.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

3 (edited by DrewDruncan 2008-12-24 14:34:07)

And on the other end of the spectrum is this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Va … 1145771.gc
A 5W all tube amp with one knob. If you want to play around the house, and get a good 'classic rock' kind of tone, this is hard to beat.
This is similar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Gui … 1394466.gc

Otherwise, the little Fender Frontman has a decent clean tone, if a little bland. Put a pedal in front of it for crunch. The Roland cubes sound okay, so does the small Rocktron and the 'modeling' Vox practice amps sound a little more realistic than the line6 amps. I have a lot of amps, including 2 line 6 models, and I find that I am more inspired to play when using a little tube amp than a modeler. Still, go try them out. Your ears and fingers will know the right one to buy.

Hey Cam,
  I own this amp and love it! Lots of cool sounds to play around with that are easily accessable. Sounds good at low and high volume (of course all music sounds better loud!) I had a big ole 2x12 Marshall 50watt amp and sold it after I got this little Vox. Give it a spin.
http://www.music123.com/Vox-Valvetronix … 6.Music123

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I've always like the little Roland Micro Cube Amp...first one got damaged and I immediately bought another! Has several built effects and distortions...  I've even used it at church and places...just set it up and then miked it into the sound system!

http://www.roland.com/products/en/MICRO … tures.html

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Those little one knob Epiphone valves are fantastic sounding little boxes.

Whatever you get, get a tube.   The VOX Valvetronic XL amps have lots of buttons and knobs, and sound fantastic, too.  Full tube preamp, with solid state effects on board.

http://www.voxamps.com/valvetronix/

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Guys for all the advice, I'll give each one a good look. I don't have an electric guitar just yet, just doing my research as far as the amp goes, I've decided which guitar I'm gonna get however, it's an Agile Dauntless SBD, gets great reviews, anyway thanks again for all the advice.

Cam

Try an Orange.  I got one this week and it sounds great.  The Orange Crush 30R is $200 and is 30 watts.  Plus they're orange colored!

tongue:P:P:P:P

hi,
if i were u i would buy the Marshall MG 30 DFX i have this amp ass well and i bought it about a half year ago in holland for 210 euro (thats about 190dollar) and it is worth every penny of it. Its got the typical marshall sound in it with the fat distortion en 4 effects. if u buy a footswitch with it u can change from clean tot distortion while playing it also got a headphone and a cd input on it. its 30watts but thats more than what i need in my room so i recomend u to buy this amp as well
thomas

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

I much prefer to play guitar through a P.A. system.
I have a small 200 watt Peavey driver with four channels pushing two Audio Centron speakers with 10 inch woofers and a horn in each. The system has reverb for vocals and an effects pedal for guitar sounds great through it. It's all you need for a single act in a small bar.
Later I bought a Peavey 6000 - 300 watts with 6 channels and speakers with 15's. Good for larger rooms. This system can handle a whole band in a larger venue except for bass.
Five years ago I bought a 24 channel Mackie mixing board and six JBL EON 300 watt self-powered speakers. This setup will light up half of a small town and EON speakers can handle moisture better than speakers with wooden cabinets.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I agree with 06 ... the Line6 Spider III (10?) makes an affordable model for $99 ... it's a good beginners amp and comes with some effects you can learn from ... although I will say for clean acoustic sounds it's not the best you're going to get ...

Thomas is correct as far as the Marshall ... I have it specifically for my acoustic stuff ... I rarely use it for my Les Paul; for that I use my Line6 Spider III 75 and it's perfect ... although a good noise gate or suppresor is a must

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hey Lespaulguy,

I'm new to the electric, and amps, so if you could please tell me what the suppressor, or noise gate is, and what it does, thanks I appreciate it very much.

Cam

cameron

I wont give you the technical definition but I'll make it musician friendly ... A noise gate or noise suppressor eliminates unwanted noise, static, hissing or interference from reaching the amp ... some amps have a noise gate already inside (for example, the Line6 Spider III series comes with a noise gate that you activate yourself) ... a great Noise Suppressor is the NS-2 from Boss

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/NS-2/

I mostly use Boss stompboxes and I highly recommend the NS-2 ... you can buy them relatively cheap at under $100

Line6 SpiderIII 75

Ok Thanks LesPaulGuy,

That answer works for me, I have one more if you don't mind, I keep reading about a "tailpiece", on the guitar, at least I hope thats what I remember, could you explain what that is excatly?

Thanks Again

Cam

15 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-12-31 16:14:11)

It's simple but not really tongue  ... for example the Les Paul Studio I have comes with a stop tail piece or bridge ... the tune-o-matic bridge is just before it ... with that in place, you can tweak your sound to suit your needs (I don't mess with it since I'm not proficient at tweaking the sounds yet) ... some models of guitars have a string-through body design where they dont stop at a bridge but rather go over the bridge and through the body of the guitar and come out on the backside of the guitar ... a lot of guitars (especially metal ones) use this design for better tones (the string actually goes through the body instead of stopping at the bridge or tailpiece)

Here is a better explanation rather than me trying to explain it ... plus it might make more sense smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopbar

Hope this helps!

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I bought a Freedom GA-15 practice amp, however, dont know if its the set up but it sounds crap, a cheaper smaller amp seems to sound better, no matter what I do it sounds too bassie

"king of the World"

I have several amps but find myself always going back to my Roland cube 30w a great amp with some effects built in which i bought for 85.00 gbp second hand(e bay)

Vintage 12 string, Brunswick Acoustic, (Gordon Giltrap owned) Art and Lutherie, Lag J100,Vintage SG, Paul McCartney bass copy.