Topic: Meeting new Musicians

ive been asked to go and meet a band where i live to try ou for place as a lead/rhythum guitarist but am a bit nervous has anyone ever had his and what did they get u to do

2 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-01-04 17:16:05)

Re: Meeting new Musicians

The band played one of their songs and I was asked to join in. (I knew what the song was beforehand). It seemed more important that they liked me rather than my playing, so long as it was reasonable.

jimmyriddle just stay loose and be yourself, they wouldn't have asked you to meet them if they were not interested in the first place, the only thing is I would have listened to them first to see if I was interested smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Go and meet them.  It's just a get to know you session.  See whether you like them, whether they like you, and whether if you like each other all around whether or not your playing styles mesh. 

Find out that it doesn't work is as good of a result as finding out that it does.  If it doesn't work, you'd have not enjoyed playing with them and so it's good to know that right up front.  If it does work out, then maybe you can play with them and enjoy it.  Either way, it's a positive outcome by either doing something fun or avoiding something unfun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If they're so good you can't stack up what fun would it be?  They're on audition too, so relax.  I figure you have an idea what song(s) they play and can ask them to play one you like (excel).  Like Zurf says it's mostly meet and greet.  I remember we auditioned three different guys and all had good enough talent.  It's more about how your taste meshes.

jimmyriddle74 wrote:

ive been asked to go and meet a band where i live to try ou for place as a lead/rhythum guitarist but am a bit nervous has anyone ever had his and what did they get u to do

I'd suggest that you ask for a few songs, in advance, before auditioning, or better yet a recording of the band playing the songs they wish to play. Many times a band have 'thier own way' of playing songs.  Don't play the tunes exactly like the exiting guitar player played the tunes( unless they played the songs spot on perfect). This may be the reason they're seeking a new guitarist.  It's always a plus to be prepared in advance. You asking them for a copy of the music will also show the guys/gals that you're professional and care about the quality and the presentation of your work. Or , if they're a gigging band, find out where they play and discretely go and give them a listen. Get a feel where they're coming, where they might wanna go, and how you can help them sound better. Good luck, keep us posted...

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

well im off to meet them tomorrow evening bit nervous but what the hell. il give it my best shot they seem ok, wish me luck!

Good luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude