Topic: Pick ups for acoustic guitar

Hi
I am interested in  gettinga pick up for my acoustic...and I was under the impression that it was a straightforward task to fit one of these ...is this the case or is it a job that needs to be done at a guitar shop..?
I was under the impression that you just had to "clip it on" around the sound hole plug yer jack in and off you go ....
Thanks for any advice,

Tommo

If its too loud yer too old.

Re: Pick ups for acoustic guitar

There are several types of acoustic pickups...some will mount in the guitar soundhole without modication...some will stick to the surface...and some are placed inside and involve modifying the endpin to add in a jack. Also some will involve cutting out a place to install a battery compartment with equalizer switches, etc....    Simplest is to find a sound hole magnetic pickup that fits in the sound hole and has the cord attached...might have to change strings to a nickel steel to sound proper... here's a few links that should be able to give more info...hope this helps!

www.fishman.com           
www.lrbaggs.com
www.mcintyrepickups.com

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks for the info jay....I will give the sites a shot..

Tommo

If its too loud yer too old.

Check out B-Bands while your at it.

Good luck,
Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

Hello, I just installed a B-band A2  in one of my guitars and am very happy with it, it is kinda of a tricky one to install and they are a little more spendy than some. I paid about $200. They have an undersaddle pickup and an ast pickup, you can balance both pickups and volume control also.
     I also have a LR Baggs I-Beam in one of my guitars and it is alot less money and more basic. It has a volume control and it's about a $90. pickup.
    Neither require cutting any holes in your guitar for batteries, the batteries velcro on the inside, the only drilling is where you remove your strap pin and your input for your 1/4'' cable hooks up.

I am going to replace my I-Beam with a B-band A2 after I have used the new one awhile I like the mix you get and lots of volume and no  acoustic quack of some pickups.Very authentic acoustic sound.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Hi colin ,
    I keep a Dean Markley " Pro Mag " in my gig case for times when someone shows up with a straight accoustic and needs more volume .... Just slips in the sound hole and sounds great .... Cost about 45.00 when I bought it ... You don't have to change strings to use one of these magnetic pickups ... ( unless you're using nylons I suppose ) Everyone who has used it loves it ....
                 Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "