Topic: Acoustic/Classical

Hi there,

Can someone please explain the differences between acoustic & classical guitars.

Cheers,
Graham

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”

Jimi Hendrix

Re: Acoustic/Classical

Hello gsjwinton and welcome to Chordie. Scroll down the link to "types of guitars" and you'll see a clear description of acoustic and classical guitars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

gsjwinton wrote:

Hi there,

Can someone please explain the differences between acoustic & classical guitars.

Cheers,
Graham

I am bitter, soon to be better!

Greetings Jaymaica, and Welcome to Chordie!

Don't be bitter.... bound to get better!  You found us after all!

Visit Chordie often, do not be a stranger, and freely ask and participate in the forums.  There are a lot of good folks here sharing a common bond of music and scholarship.

Welcome aboard!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

how can I know to play guitar  easily?

Doug_Smith wrote:

Greetings Jaymaica, and Welcome to Chordie!

Don't be bitter.... bound to get better!  You found us after all!

Visit Chordie often, do not be a stranger, and freely ask and participate in the forums.  There are a lot of good folks here sharing a common bond of music and scholarship.

Welcome aboard!

Take Care;
Doug

Hi Winton,

A classical guitar will have  nylon strings;  an acoustic will have steel strings. Both can be electric. If  yr starting afresh',have a think abouit the price and the music you'd like to pay and play!? Dont spend loads of dosh!; ask a friend if you can use theirs' for a couple of weeks lol ?Do you want to sound like Manson, or Paul Simon.Both perhaps!? ?

If yr buying for the first time; dont spend loads of money! !  Am sure loads will add to this. Good Luck!

Hope this helps smile

Dame

Howdy again Jaymaica,

How to play guitar the easy way?   Wow I am not sure there is an easy way, but it seems that the guitar is an easy instrument to play.... but to play well takes practice and a reasonable bit of dedication and effort.  Not knowing your experience level, I would have to recommend that you try and see some of Justin Sandercoe's videos on YouTube.  There are a lot of good video tutorials available free on the internet, and Justin's are among the easiest to follow.  Find a piece of music you are familiar with, learn that one and find another.... You'll be "shredding" before you know it!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

dmc wrote:

Hi Winton,

A classical guitar will have  nylon strings;  an acoustic will have steel strings. Both can be electric. If  yr starting afresh',have a think abouit the price and the music you'd like to pay and play!? Dont spend loads of dosh!; ask a friend if you can use theirs' for a couple of weeks lol ?Do you want to sound like Manson, or Paul Simon.Both perhaps!? ?

If yr buying for the first time; dont spend loads of money! !  Am sure loads will add to this. Good Luck!

Hope this helps smile

Dame

Hey DMC,

I was given a cheap classical guitar by the inlaws.  Its great for learning on though the sound is a bit crappy. Will probably get myself a Yamaha f310 soon. Thanks for the advice!!!

Graham

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”

Jimi Hendrix

It is important in the development of any guitar player to build independent finger strength in the fret hand. This is especially true for the acoustic guitar since it is often times harder to play than the electric due to the thickness of the strings. To help speed things up here is an acoustic guitar lesson that will build finger strength and help synchronize your hands.

**Link deleted**

A classical guitar is designed specificaly for picking with the fingers and not strumming so this may help describe its 'crappy' sound if you are trying to strum it.

On your easy to play question I would recommend an accoustic over a classical guitar. Classical will take years to get any good where as strumming an accoustic you will quickly be able to play your pieces once you have learned the chords. Classic guitar is not chord based so much as fingered positions which are changing constantly. It is a beatiful sound once mastered and you will have skills which will transfer over to picking on an accousticv guitar with conrtemporary music. I learned classical for a couple of years when I was a wee nipper and I had a private tutor, I would never contemplate learning it without one. Classical has so many technical issues associated with it and like most things if you learn the wrong way you will never be able to master the more difficult concepts further down the line.

With an accoustic, almost everything you do will advance you down the road to stardom and fame ( sigh! if only I didnt talk so much crap )

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.