1 (edited by flester 2009-03-09 16:34:22)

Topic: How to play a G chord - or re-learning chords after lots of years

How many of you play a G chord with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers as opposed to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th? (see my diagrams below, horizontal lines are frets and verticals are strings and 3 means 3rd finger etc.)

I started off using the 1,2,3 but saw people using 2,3,4 and adopted it as it makes for quick chord changes between G and C.

But now with a 12string I find I am muting the A string(s) with 2,3,4 so am thinking of re-learning the 1, 2, 3 but its not easy as I've been doing it the other way for so long.

1,2,3 method

2,3,4 method

Re: How to play a G chord - or re-learning chords after lots of years

I use the 1 2 3 as it gives me the option of playing the D on the second string third fret along with the G and I dont have any problem with the transistion to C from G also you can walk down from G to open E (E, F# Em) but whatever is easiest for you works for me smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I use 1,2,3 the most, by far. But I do use 2,3,4 sometimes too. It depends on what's going on with the rest of my fingers. Like are there walk-downs (or ups), are there hammer-ons? It took me a long time to realise that there is more than one way to play a chord. As a raw beginner I just accepted that whatever shapes I had learned for each chord were final. It was like a total revelation when I realised this was not the case.

In the case of your 12-string predicament - I'd go with the one that gets best results to start with and then maybe practice more on the other to see if it improves. Man, that must be so frustrating for you!

All the best.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I'm a 123 guy myself.  I have tried the 234 method, but without practice, it is a bit difficult.  I can change from G to C fast enough. I've also seen people play a D with 234 which makes it quicker to go  to a D7 from a D, but there again I can do it fast enough with the 123 method.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I play mostly 2 3 4 and one advantage is adding a c note to your g chord with your index also going from G to G7 is easier.If you are playing an alernating bass you can lift your finger of the b note while you are playing the g note of the chord and vise versa and get some good results lifting your fingers on and off.

Later, Wayne P

Hi flester
At first I learnt 1,2,3. then bing! I realised it's not set in stone and anything goes. This is especially true when finger picking and full chord shapes don't have to be held when playing.
Myself I find G with 2.3,4 handy for a G7 change.
Not played a 12string so can't help you there.
Ark

I don't use 1,2,3 much. It makes my pinkie useless. But instead I use 1,2,4 for when it's combined with the D-chord. And the sometimes use 3 for the D on the second string.

I use 2,3,4 to change to G7 easily or when a C-chord is involved. I then sometimes I add 1 on the C on the second string.

Another chord to think about is the open E. Formed with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers developes muscle memory and then makes the E formed barre chords much easier.

nela

2,3,4 and considering anything else makes my head hurt.  I'm already trying to relearn A.  Trying to relearn G is more than my meager resources of sanity can withstand. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah, Zurf, I remember some years back when I relearned A with one finger instead of three.  Now, it's really easy.  You just have to keep doing it one way.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

One fingering the A is out for me.  My finger just doesn't bend that way and never will.  I once made an adjustment to that knuckle with a 24oz framing hammer while driving some nails into concrete, and the adjustment hasn't worked out as well as I'd have liked.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I started out always using 3  Simply because the first song I learned had a D following the G and this allowed me to use my ring
finger as a pivot for the D. After that I would always use either that fingering or the 123 form. Then when I learned to play "Night Moves"  I started using the 234 fingering because of the quick GCF change.  Now I use them all without really thinking about it. It just depends on what I'm going to next and were I'm coming from. I have to say though, for the past year or so I don't use open fingerings much...I prefer to play most of my tunes in Barre. I just find moving a few different forms around the fretboard much easier than changing between open fingerings.-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I use the 2-3-4 and have always used this. But I play mostly Bluegrass and Classic Country. So my keys are probably alot different than say Rock. I can plat both but don't care for 1-2-3. I am quicker with the 2-3-4 change but I prefer this. So use what feels best. But, on your twelve string if you are deading your A you may have to compromise with comfort a little. After all it is only a chord. We have all learned them before. You got it. Tear it up and nail it.

I use 2-3-4, it helps me make a quicker transition to the C chord or a D7 or A minor chord.

But, I will use 1-2-3, depending upon the the tune I'm playing and the transitions I have to make.

Individual preference.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I play Willin' using these chord voicings built off a variation of the 123 method.  I can really get a booming Em7  when I sing the line "...everytime I go to Mexico" for a really nice dynamic when I'm playing by myself.

1,2,3 method

C add9

Em7

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

tonydr - I don't think your Cadd9 is correct - you need to move your 1 finger to the D string and your 2 finger to the A string

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Depends on what I'm playing, but I'm generally a 234 type.  I like having my index finger free for other things.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Last night in my group class, we were playing a jig that went from, G to C to D7, 2-3-4 worked best for me.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

2-3-4 is much faster and easier, not having to turn your hand over when you change to C.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

20 (edited by alansheeran 2009-03-13 11:23:32)

I'm with Prinsb.

I use 1, 2 and 4. I like to hit the D as well.

It started a few years ago when I started playing mandolin and wanted to get the pinky into practice. At one stage I was trying to barre with the pinky ( 1:G and 2: D ), but gave that up.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

nortond1 wrote:

I use the 2-3-4 and have always used this. But I play mostly Bluegrass and Classic Country. So my keys are probably alot different than say Rock. I can plat both but don't care for 1-2-3. I am quicker with the 2-3-4 change but I prefer this. So use what feels best. But, on your twelve string if you are deading your A you may have to compromise with comfort a little. After all it is only a chord. We have all learned them before. You got it. Tear it up and nail it.

Can't seem to physically manage to get the finger at the correct angle to miss the lighter A string properly. However the other a is not muted so maybe no-one except me will notice it

Lots of good advice. I agree with it all, only thing I can add "and it's only my opinion" is for bluegrass try a 1-2-3-4. ----- 3 is on the second string D note,4 is on the 1st string G note. When you go to a C chord only move the 1-2 from the 6th an 5th strings to the 5th an 4th strings while leaving your 3rd an 4th fingers stationary, your third finger is already in position to go to a D chord. You can change chords this way very fast.

Ron :-)

Ron

Interesting, I'm always looking for ways to do the chord transitions easier.  I'll give it a shot!

Thanks

Maybe you'll like this one too ozy, when holding that four finger G, for a G7 just drop your 2nd finger down to the D string on the third fret to get your F note. when I use it, I hit the open D, hammer-on the F followed by a cross-picking roll

Ron

Why stick with one way? They all work and each is useful for different choons.

The more you get used to different ways of doing the same thing the easier it is to learn new harder things and the greater the arsenal of techniques (literally) at your fingertips!

Rudh hag Owr, KajiMa

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<