Topic: ALBION THE RECORDING

I am happy to say I finished two acoustic Rhythm tracks and will be adding the percussion and bass tomorrow followed by two lead guitar tracks and two lead vocal tracks I have decided to layer backing vocals in counterpoint harmony sort of a Melodie independent and supporting the main lead vocals this technique was used effectively by groups like the Beatles and Steely Dan,The two lead guitar tracks will be played in thirds (harmony) similar to the group Boston so far everything is going smooth and I will keep you posted on the progress and when its uploaded,doing a printable chopro may not help only because of the anticipated timing and synchronization of the rhythm tracks but I will also do a video and play acoustic guitar and sing.The original raw version on myspace and youtube was played in the key of A I have capoed up two frets so the song while played with open tuning is now in the key of B it sounds a little more lively with a capo and enables my vocals to open up more to follow smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: ALBION THE RECORDING

Anxiously waiting!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring I decided to purchase a bass guitar and I will pick it up from the music store tomorrow along with another amp so I can play my ME-50 stereo this will add a cool dimension to the lead solos so instead of going direct into my digital recorder I'm placing a microphone in the middle of the two amps and setting each one different this will give a spacious effect as I can split the effects on the unit in addition is has a feature called a harmonizer its kind of cheating a bit but what the heck,I dont feel guilty because I am capable of doing it without it its just that it saves time, and at my age that's a commodity lol the extra time will let me work on the lyrics no sense in rushing this project and sacrificing quality for the sake of expediency smile

Sounds like you have it all worked out my Friend.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

yes I have given this some thought,im reminded of the quote: " if you fail to plan you plan to fail" smile

deadstring wrote:

Sounds like you have it all worked out my Friend.

Sounds intriguing Russ...
Always good to have a plan or in my case do what a say and not what I do smile
Ark

Ark when you compose a new song is it the same way as I do by jamming some melodies and selecting several ideas to develop? I take the most promising and video tape them it helps me to remember not only the chord sequence but the strumming pattern smile

arkady wrote:

Sounds intriguing Russ...
Always good to have a plan or in my case do what a say and not what I do smile
Ark

Russ
You got me thinking.
Originally I used to start with a chord progression that sounded good and then apply a melody over the top either to be sung or played on an instrument (mostly guitar).
How the two interacted with each other was trial and error with lots of adjustments and a fair bit of binning. Sometimes something reasonable came out at the end.
Getting into Ambient changed my approach somewhat.
I usually start with a pad (A back ground sound) giving a feel to the piece and build up from there.
Using Magix software has helped alot as it deals with blocks of sounds on different tracks and has a great midi with lots of virtual instruments.
Also it's really handy to be able to save a piece as a work in progress when inspiration takes a dive  smile
How's Albion coming along....
Ark

Ark I see there is a little different approach to ambient songs but as long as the results are what you are pleased with it works for you,Albion has been delayed a day till I can pickup my new bass it had to be ordered along with my new amp but I have been putting the time to use the important thing to me is I know what I'm going to do with it and I have no doubt it will turn out ok and I'm itching to add the other parts but the bass is very important it will enable me to be creative with the percussion and serve as a solid foundation to build the vocals and lead guitar parts around then comes the fun "Mixing" like a chef in a hotel combining all the ingredients into a feast for kings lol (or something like that I hope) somehow the old "its just a song" dont cut it as you get older you get more demanding and dont settle for "that's good enough"it has to be the best you can do and then it starts all over,"aah life is great" smile

Got me a bass today its a silvertone the nice folks at the music store set it up so the action is easy to play and it sounds great so I now I can move ahead with my project,finely smile

OK I laid the bass and percussion tracks and next comes the lead guitar solos followed by the vocals,everything is going well so far hopefully I can finish this in two more days and upload smile

Looking forward to it Russell!

How often does the "cleaning lady" have to come in and dust all that music gear anyway?  Keep adding to your collection.... and you might have to move into a bigger place!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yea Doug it is getting a little crowded but I needed the bass and the price was only $50 one of the pickups didnt work and they knocked the price in half and they will find one for me and replace it free (labor) everything I buy there is at cost so I do save a lot smile

I was all set to lay the lead solos and I sprained my fretting hand (bummer) looks like it will be a few days before I can add these important additions but I heal fast and hopefully by the weekend I can get back to it smile

Hi Russ
Sorry to hear you sprained your hand.
Hope alls ok by the weekend..
Ark

Thanks Ark I should be good to go hopefully sat.either way i will record smile

tonight I laid the lead solos the results were better then I had hoped for,I recorded 2 acoustic rhythm tracks first then laid a bass track after that came a drum track manually played on the pads and followed with a mixture of Congo and hand claps on tracks 4 and 5 and mixed it and bounced it to tracks 7 and 8 the lead solos were applied on tracks 1 and 2 and I did not record over the previous tracks they were shifted to my v tracks and are still there,next the lead vocal and counter harmonies then all of this is mixed and panned and fed into audacity and final eq's and rendering to mp 3 for upload,the lead solos were SMOKIN harmonies in thirds and add a really nice layered effect more to follow smile

yer did wot? lol...all double dutch to me.. but well done Russ!

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

That's ok if you dont understand the procedure but as long as you enjoy it when its finished that's good enough for me,in muti track recordings it takes time to mix each track and the best way is to turn all the other tracks off and concentrate on one at a time then like a chef you blend all the ingredients(mix) and open your recording software and it winds up on two channels in stereo from there its formatted as a mp3 which can be uploaded to a web site or made into a CD smile

micky the mooch wrote:

yer did wot? lol...all double dutch to me.. but well done Russ!

20 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-04-03 06:27:16)

Cool! sounds like a lot of hard work, must be hard keeping all the tracks/layers to the same rhythm speed?

ps: i think i'll stick to  getting the chords in the right order.

micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Micky all the tracks are synchronized at the beginning so they all come in at the same time on the count of 4 just like in a band. that way I know exactly when the song starts and it makes adding more tracks a snap,:)

I like how your going through the process with us, Russell. Its cool to see (or read) how someone who actually knows how to record, does it. Very educational

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks selso for your nice comments I really am looking forward to completing this today Saturday the 4th I'm waiting for a quiet moment when all the traffic noise outside dies down (early evening) and then I can add the vocals and hopefully upload later tonight I will post in the songwriters forum when that happens smile

selso wrote:

I like how your going through the process with us, Russell. Its cool to see (or read) how someone who actually knows how to record, does it. Very educational