Topic: top line versus inexpensive labor ?

Hi,

My man at Guitar Center in Pasadena Ca. was telling me that
"sound," and, "performance," wise, the Gretch electromatics, were no different from the top of the line beauties.

"Unless you're a real purest, pro, or a somebody with the big cash." He was really cool. I'm want a new guitar. I was going to get a $1,000.00-$12,00.00ish acoustic Martin. and pay for a year.

Now is the Martin inexpensive line outsourced to Mexico or bumfu*&6 also?

What about that $799.00 single cutaway black gretcsh electromatic.
The amp and the ax would be the same price as the Martin inexpensive acoustics. I play for my dogs and someday my grandkids.

Since I have been able to buy new surfboards (surfed 1967)
I have bought custom boards from the best shaper for top dollar.
I did this with guitars back in the 70's. Hey man I'm married with 2 guy's in college. I work at the Huntington Library's Rare Book Library. They don't pay $%#@. Yeah, I'm looking for a break.

I have not payed attention to the guitar world for decades. My wife bought me the guitar I have been playing the last 5 years.
In-expensive fender, but I play 4 hours a day.) It's all about the Love. I appreciate any wisdom you can offer me regarding my
search for a sweet instrument that my wife won't say is destroying
the family budget. I love her when she's angry. God bless. I like country, Neil Young-ish what they used to call Folk rock blah blah.
Otis Retting R/B. Sinatra. I keep learning. Thanks for reading thiis long letter....T.C. Canterbury

Re: top line versus inexpensive labor ?

hi t.c and welcome to chordie.
No need to appologise for a long post. wasnt that bad and i enjoyed reading it.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey t.c.lametoad...how are ya?

WoWiMuCoCo here, first post,(World wide music collaboration consortium).
What draws me to this topic is the "made in mexico" Martin.
I can't speak for the Gretch although I have come across some dandies in my travels...However...I DO own a Mex-assembled Martin 12. It absolutly blows me away every time i play it. It's set up real low and I baby the thing....I played a similar American 6 string model and it felt like a brick. I supposed it wasn't set up.
I wouldn't think twice about getting one...it's rich and bassy...your dog will prob love you for that!!
That's my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with your decision...all the best.
Oh...P.S.
I've been playing for 40 years...I have a decent idea of how they should feel.
Robert

HEHEHE....hehehe
You're a newby too!!
Welcome...

Well Howdy "newbies"  and along with Ken I would like to Welcome you to Chordie!

It is absolutely a personal choice as to if a particular instrument is or is not well suited to your kind of music, and brand loyalty is great to a point.... but....

Gibson guitars made overseas are labeled Epiphone and sound really close to their American Made counterparts for a whole bunch less $$$.  Some Martins are built outside the boarders and sound good, but IMO the quality has slipped a bit over the years when compared to other brands out there that you don't have to mortgage the farm for.  Don't let a label and price-point make decisions for you, play everything, and when you find the one that really does it for you... that's the one you take home to meet "momma". 

Welcome again &
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

As I have said in other threads, I own a Gretsch 5120 and I do not hesitate to recommend it to other players.  It's the first decent quality guitar that I've owned, and for the price I consider it to be an excellent value.  That said, there is really no comparison between the 5120 and the "Pro" series Gretsches.  They have different wiring, different pickups, different tuners, and are built with different woods (the Pro series are a laminate of 5 very thin layers, while the electromatics are 3 thicker layers, at least on top).  Everything about them is different, and while the 5120 sounds good stock, it doesn't have "that great Gretsch sound."  As I have proven to myself, it can come VERY close with the right modifications...  If you MUST have the Gretsch sound, look for a 6118 (Anniversary) model; it'll get you there for much less coin than the rest of the Pro series.

The 5120 is also not an acoustic.  You can play it that way (and I often do, I mostly play for myself), but it doesn't have the volume or projection of even a modest acoustic.  In that vein, you might look at the Gretsch Synchromatic, which is an archtop acoustic at around the same price point as the 5120.

As Doug Smith said above, play them all if you can.  Make your decision based on sound and feel first, with the pocketbook having a simple veto.  When you find the one that's right, you'll know it.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hey now, hey now, that's what I call community service.

I really am fired up. Thanks for the insight into what your playing.
It has brought back my memories of the 70's when I was into that whole "California" acoustic/folky/blues scene. The product names are still the same. The prices have inflated just like surfboards.
In 1971 my "legendary"main man shaper's  top line custom stick cost $170.00. Now a 10' longboard is $1000.00.
You people are my new best friends.

I hate trying out new guitars becase the strings are always old and stiff. I can still get the general idea from the insrument if I spend enough time playing different models, .

I'll stop by the shop today. No Little League Games to announce.
Thanks again...  T.C. Canterbury

t.c.lametoad wrote:

Hey now, hey now, that's what I call community service.

I really am fired up. Thanks for the insight into what your playing.
It has brought back my memories of the 70's when I was into that whole "California" acoustic/folky/blues scene. The product names are still the same. The prices have inflated just like surfboards.
In 1971 my "legendary"main man shaper's  top line custom stick cost $170.00. Now a 10' longboard is $1000.00.
You people are my new best friends.

I hate trying out new guitars becase the strings are always old and stiff. I can still get the general idea from the insrument if I spend enough time playing different models, .

I'll stop by the shop today. No Little League Games to announce.
Thanks again...  T.C. Canterbury

Hi T.C. and welcome to Chordie. As a little league coach / dad, I'd like to thank you for your efforts in announcing. Volunteers like you allow us to pass this great game on to our kids.

Now, my 2 cents regarding your post - It is not at all unreasonable to request a new set of strings be installed on a guitar you are trying out. If you are looking to spend substantial dollars, make the store (and salesperson) earn your business - request / demand decent strings.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

t.c.lametoad wrote:

Hi,

My man at Guitar Center in Pasadena Ca. was telling me that
"sound," and, "performance," wise, the Gretch electromatics, were no different from the top of the line beauties.

"Unless you're a real purest, pro, or a somebody with the big cash." He was really cool. I'm want a new guitar. I was going to get a $1,000.00-$12,00.00ish acoustic Martin. and pay for a year.

Now is the Martin inexpensive line outsourced to Mexico or bumfu*&6 also?

What about that $799.00 single cutaway black gretcsh electromatic.
The amp and the ax would be the same price as the Martin inexpensive acoustics. I play for my dogs and someday my grandkids.

Since I have been able to buy new surfboards (surfed 1967)
I have bought custom boards from the best shaper for top dollar.
I did this with guitars back in the 70's. Hey man I'm married with 2 guy's in college. I work at the Huntington Library's Rare Book Library. They don't pay $%#@. Yeah, I'm looking for a break.

I have not payed attention to the guitar world for decades. My wife bought me the guitar I have been playing the last 5 years.
In-expensive fender, but I play 4 hours a day.) It's all about the Love. I appreciate any wisdom you can offer me regarding my
search for a sweet instrument that my wife won't say is destroying
the family budget. I love her when she's angry. God bless. I like country, Neil Young-ish what they used to call Folk rock blah blah.
Otis Retting R/B. Sinatra. I keep learning. Thanks for reading thiis long letter....T.C. Canterbury

TC,

Your in my neighborhood, I've been in that GC to many times to count (I use to work in Altadena and stop in on my way home). There are alot of mid buget guitars that can be found you just have to play them all. Try the fret house in Covina or Dakkars which is also in Pasadena.

Good Luck.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.