Topic: How do they do it?

Ok so, I have had a horrible cough for a week now and I can't sing at all cos nothing comes out when I open my mouth. I want to know how professional singers deal with this problem? I mean do they deal with it or do they just decide to give it a rest?

My big brother sings very screetchy punk/metal/punk and he gargles tcp... It stinks, I don't fancy that.

I figured just loads of vitamin C and rest the voice until it is better!???! It's reminding me of that episode of friends when Pheobe had a cold! I wouldn't mind if my voice got sexy, just at mo I don't have one!

Tine
-x-

Re: How do they do it?

Hey Tine,  Sorry to hear you're sick.  Nothing worse.  When I get a bad cold or flu I have a couple of home remedies that really help.

For sore throats gargle with 1/2 a cup of warm water and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.  Stir well and gargle a couple of times.  Don't swallow!  smile  Do that a couple of times a day.  It really helps.

Then I make a homemade ginger tea.  Grate some fresh ginger, a couple of tablespoons.  Pour about 3 cups of hot water over it and let it steep for 20 minutes.  Strain and add fresh lemon juice and honey to taste.  Drink all day.  It reheats really well in the microwave too.  All three of those ingredients are antioxidants and are chock full of vitamins, minerals and other good stuff for your body when you're sick. 

Get well soon. 

RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hi tine

I dont know what age you are but I swear by "hot toddies" a home made recipe made with whisky.......now before you think I drink it to forget how bad I feel with a cold or flu, it does not get you drunk.
One measure of whisky ( 25ml)
boiling water(50ml)
one teaspoon of honey ( or sugar if no honey but honey is better for relieving a sore throat)
one cinnamon stick ( take out before drinking)

they are sometimes hard to drink as the vapours are quite overpowering to the nasal passages but they work for me. I can only handle one a night when feeling ill so I usually take it about half hour before bed.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thankyou for that... I think I will try the Ginger to start with as I have some in the cupboard!

The hot toddies will wait until tomorrow when I visit my Dad who always has a bit of whiskey stashed away somewhere!

Yeah I'm 28 so it is legal for me to drink!! I don't think a bottle of wine works though does it?!

5 (edited by RavenLady 2009-04-10 15:09:41)

Tine wrote:

Thankyou for that... I think I will try the Ginger to start with as I have some in the cupboard!

The hot toddies will wait until tomorrow when I visit my Dad who always has a bit of whiskey stashed away somewhere!

Yeah I'm 28 so it is legal for me to drink!! I don't think a bottle of wine works though does it?!

Wine. heh heh heh.....maybe if you make some mulled wine with spices????  big_smile

And nothing better than a Hot Toddy too Ken.  My dad swears by them.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I also go with a hot toddy.  Except not hot, and without the toddy bit.  I just pour some bourbon into a glass and sip on it slowly.  I'll make a shot last for several hours.  If the first shot doesn't work, I'll have a cup of hot tea with honey, and then sip on another shot.  The second shot is usually consumed much faster, but still at a moderate pace.  I try to make it linger in my throat as it seeps down.  I don't know what about it helps my throat feel better, but it works for me.  My momma used to mix bourbon with lemon juice and honey for us when we were little bitty folk.  As I've aged, I've stayed with the bourbon and left off the lemon juice and honey. 

Sometimes I'll use a fruit liquer like Mr. Boston Rock & Rye.  It's a much milder whiskey, not so strong with alcohol, and seems to work wonders.  I usually put it on ice. 

Good luck.  A little goes a long way on these booze related reliefs.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I certainly agree with Ken about the hot toddy although I also add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon to mine and omit the cinnamon stick.

As an aside, for an upset stomach, my favourite and best remedy is a measure of Port added to a measure of Brandy. It works every time but please do not drive after taking one.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Great all the home recipes but as to the voice....

REST IT!!!

Rest your voice! Don't even strain to talk to people, if things are that bad carry paper and pen to communicate.

Anything you overdo with your vocal chords while with caugh, cold, sore throat etc, can tear the vocal chords as they adapt to being used while out of order.

Alternatively: Find someone who's got the worst flu anyone's ever had, sit with them until you have it too and you should find yourself immune to the minor colds and sniffles for a couple of years!

Alternatively: Pour a can of peeled tomatoes into a saucepan, throw in a chopped onion and as much crushed garlic as you can handle, heat with any seasoning you want, serve over pasta WITH NO CHEESE: all dairy products make you produce phlegm!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Isn't this drink also known as a "Grog"? or is that something else?

upyerkilt wrote:

Hi tine

I dont know what age you are but I swear by "hot toddies" a home made recipe made with whisky.......now before you think I drink it to forget how bad I feel with a cold or flu, it does not get you drunk.
One measure of whisky ( 25ml)
boiling water(50ml)
one teaspoon of honey ( or sugar if no honey but honey is better for relieving a sore throat)
one cinnamon stick ( take out before drinking)

they are sometimes hard to drink as the vapours are quite overpowering to the nasal passages but they work for me. I can only handle one a night when feeling ill so I usually take it about half hour before bed.

Ken

I tihnk Grog is an australian term for alcohol.

I have never known a hot toddy as grog, but maybe some countries do know it as this.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Most prople around here use something similiar to Kens recipe. We mix it by the mug... 1 shot of bourbon, a spoon of honey, the juice of half a lemon and then cap it off with hot water (around 4 ounces) and stir. It really does work wonders.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Yeah... You may be right cos we do say 'I'm feeling groggy'

Maybe that just means we are all sloshed on cold and caugh remedies?

Thankyou for that but after 2 weeks of caughing I have decided to go to the Quack tomorrow to sort out my caugh and stuffy noggin! xx

Ah...yon olden liquor...

sad

Thats one remedy for a LOT of things that I can't go back to.
But it's definitely increased my faith and spiritual strength.

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle