1 (edited by marcustee 2009-04-17 09:21:43)

Topic: a daunting task.........

hi everyone! i just bought my first guitar yesterday,an Ibanez GRX70.having been listening to metal/rock for almost 30 years (my parents brought me up on a diet of ac/dc,scorpions,sabbath,led zep etc) i thought it was waaay overdue that i picked up the tool of the trade and learnt to play.in all my life i never thought it would be as hard as it is.it feels like i'm at the the foot of ben nevis looking up at the summit.is it like this for everyone at the start lol? i mean,something as 'simple' as back in black has my fingers in knots......any tips for a frustrated 41 year old kirk hammet wannabe? smile

Re: a daunting task.........

Hi marcustee
Welcome to Chordie.
a daunting task......... and so it may seem. We have all have faced the climb but if you really love the guitar and are willing to spend a good deal of your time with it. Then you will make progress.
My advice is to begin with the basics at first and don't expect to much at the start..
There are alot of good tutorials around on the web for beginners and I would advise you to try a few and see what suits you.
Good luck to you..
ark

thanks arkady.just this minute printed myself off some major chord tabs to get going with.so excited and at the same time frustrated.my fingers just seem too big at the moment haha.will keep you updated on my progress! wink

Greetings Marcustee!
     We have all been through it before. Never has the old saying "one step at a time" been more appropriate than when learning to play guitar. There will be a few plateaus and valley's along the way. It is all part of it. Getting the blisters on the finger's, feeling like you are musically "challenged", when you get a dull thud on a chord, you have practiced a hundred times. When you play that barre chord, and it sounds, like a flat tire on a '59 Buick, keep reminding yourself, I will be able to play this. Your fellow musicians here on Chordie will tell you, there are few things more gratifying, than when it all coms together, and you can say YES!, I got it. For the time being, you will have to put in the time, do the repetitions, pay the price, and pay your dues. But I promise it will be well worth it, and your fellow chordians will be with you all the way, helping in any way we can. We have all heard a sound we must follow, and are there for each other.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Practice.  Every day.  No exceptions.

Then when you're sick of practice.  Practice some more.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks for the messages of support guys.my wife keeps laughing at me as my guitar is on a stand in the living room,and when i'm watching a movie or tv programme she keeps catching me looking at it ,fingers twitching haha.seriously-i can't keep my hands off it.my fingertips are sore as hell right now but the pain seems to go away when i'm playing.getting a few chords nailed now which seemed an incredible task 2 days ago! i'm loving it.:)

Hello Everyone. My name is Scott.

"Hi Scott".

I am new here also, both to playing guitar and visiting this forum. It looks like a friendly place to go, so I guess I'll just jump right in.

I too just bought my first guitar, a week ago last Saturday. I know nothing about the instrument, but have always wanted to try and play. I am actually a drummer, or rather I was back in my High school days. So I have been around music allot and listen to it constantly, but have never tried to play it on a melodic instrument.

I just turned 49 (man, that's hard to type) and felt I needed something to do at night to stimulate my brain, instead of just sitting there watching TV.

I am not sure what I really expect to get out of playing, but I thought if nothing else it would be nice to at least know a few chords and maybe a little riff or two. If I could teach myself to play simple 12 bar blues songs, I'd feel like I accomplished a great bit.

So after a week, I've learned about 7 chords or so. C, D, E, G, A, Em and Am. Not much, but I feel I am making a bit of progress. I didn't know any of the chords or the string names a week ago, so it is progress nonetheless. I cannot switch between them with any proficiency, but it's getting better. (The F chord is really wearing my patience)!

My biggest problem right now, as I'm sure you've all gone through, is that I can only go for about 1/2 hour until my fingers hurt so bad I have to stop. But I can tell they're starting to get tougher just by typing on the keyboard. I'm sure it will all pass with a bit of time.

My musical tastes are mainly in classic rock (Rush, Kansas, Zeppelin, Stones, CCR, Traffic, Dire Straits, Clapton) and also in jazz and blues. For my guitar, I got an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. I just liked the way it looked and it felt like a quality instrument for the price. I'm not prepared to fork over $5k for a Gibson just yet. I also bought a Tascam MP-GT1 guitar trainer so I could practice without waking the dead. I did by an amp, but I am waiting for it to arrive. It should be here tomorrow (Fender Hot Rod Deluxe).

Anyway, that's about where I stand right now. Look forward to hanging out here and seeking some advice from all of you experienced players.

marcustee wrote:

thanks for the messages of support guys.my wife keeps laughing at me as my guitar is on a stand in the living room,and when i'm watching a movie or tv programme she keeps catching me looking at it ,fingers twitching haha.seriously-i can't keep my hands off it.my fingertips are sore as hell right now but the pain seems to go away when i'm playing.getting a few chords nailed now which seemed an incredible task 2 days ago! i'm loving it.:)

That is exactly the best way to do it.  Keep it out and accessible.  You'll play it more that way.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey swerdman and marcustee!  Welcome and congrats on taking the big step of learning to play guitar.  I too picked it up in my 40's almost 3 years ago.  It's been the best thing I've ever done for myself.  big_smile:  It's an amazing feeling when you can play a note, chord, riff, song, whatever that you couldn't do at first.  Don't get discouraged if you seem at an impasse at some point and don't feel like you're progressing.  It happens to us all.  Just work past it and all of a sudden you'll notice an improvement in your playing again.  smile  There's lots of great instructional books with CD's and DVD's, for all levels and styles.  I take lessons weekly (fortunate enough to be able to) and would highly recommend it if you can too.  Finding a teacher that's right for you can be frustrating sometimes, so if you don't like your teacher, move on and find another one!  Try and find other people to play with and learn from too if you can.  And just have fun! 

swerdman I just got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (tweed, so cool) a couple of weeks ago.  I love it!  Good luck to both of you!

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

www.justinguitar.com is a great site for beginners ... everyone here will echo the same

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Don't let it sit on the stand! Pratice everyday. About five years ago I made a new years resolution to play one hour everyday. To start it off right, I bought myself a brand new Fender american standard strat. For the most part I accomplished my resolution. I remember being upset on vacation in beautiful Cancun Mexico because I was missing my hourly pratice. Nowdays I don't have quite that much time. Two children under three. After they have gone to bed I sneak off to my little room under the basement stairs and sometimes don't come back up till midnight. I always play as I watch the ball game. Inbetween innings and during the commercials. You gotta find the time

Yep, nothin like practice.  I find myself getting better all the time since I started playing everyday.  I have a long way to go, but I'm workin on it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LesPaulGuy wrote:

www.justinguitar.com is a great site for beginners ... everyone here will echo the same

wow.thanks for that link LesPaulGuy! what a great site.

Thank you all for the advice guys (and gals I take it). Justinguitar is a great website!

15 (edited by RavenLady 2009-04-24 13:36:50)

swredman wrote:

Thank you all for the advice guys (and gals I take it).

I was hoping that avatar could pass for a girl too.  :LOL

Here's another one I found when I first started that was very helpful and free. 

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/g … ex_db.html

Has every chord imaginable.  The diagram of it, how it sounds, you can save it or even print them off. 

Cheers
RavenLady (Heather)

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Lots of good info here from everyone...my .o2 worth is this. Have fun with it and don't make it more complicated than it is! Some people get into all these chord charts and such and try to learn and memorize jillions of things that they don't really need. If you are a serious professional session musician or into jazz and such then you can dedicate a life time of study...otherwise just have fun.

The entire body of Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash work can pretty much be done with four chords...learning to build variations and expressions on those chords will eventually come out...

For me it's important to practice some scales...the pentatonic scale is a good one to learn and is a building block for some much rock and blues...as Craig23 mentioned, practice everyday regardless! Start the scale slowly and the speed will come soon. Also you'll find yourself sneaking in some extra notes here and there and suddenly some of those cool riffs you've heard from Clapton, Hendrix, BB, and others will jump out... Sorta fun to crank up the amp...get some really nasty distortion...shove that guitar right in the face of the amp with the volume cranked up and play that same scale at warp speed...it can be scary at times!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.