Topic: Would You Recomend This?

Hey,

I'd figure I would try here because you lot seem to know a lot.

So; I am looking at this guitar pack;

Would you say that would be good. I have been playing for a little of 7 months now... so I hope to get an electric soon.

Thanks,

Pen.

***link edited unsolicited ad*** Russell Harding moderator
please do not provide links to products without approval of the webmaster Per 4/49/09 3:10 cst

Re: Would You Recomend This?

Starter packages are meant for folks who want to get their feet wet, without jumping all the way in.  If you're not sure how interested you'll be in playing guitar in a year, something along those lines might be the way to go.  Most instruments around that price point are fine as far as it goes.

On the other hand, if you're pretty sure that playing guitar is something that is going to interest you for the long run, then the advice is: buy the absolute best instrument that you can afford.  Visit shops, and sample as many different instruments as strike your fancy; the feel of the axe is just as important as the sound.  When you find that right instrument, the one that sounds right to your ears, and that you just can't keep your hands off of, that's the one to buy.

The saying "buy cheap, by twice" fits here.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Re: Would You Recomend This?

Hi PenRua, and Welcome to Chordie!

i would have to "second" dguyton's suggestion about stepping up to something of better quality than what is usually offered in the "guitar pack" lines of instruments.  Mostly they are fitted with factory "seconds" and coupled with less expensive amps.  If you were just getting your "feet wet" and not sure that you would want to continue with the guitar (although you have been at it some 7 months now), then a starter might be a good intro piece with the knowledge that you would be dumping the thing on e-bay in a few months anyway.

There are an awful lot of quality mid-priced electrics out there, so shopping is surely the course to follow.  Remember that the bigger part of the electric guitar sound is generated at the amplifier, so that is where I would be really putting in the research.  But remember that there are a bunch of options in that department also.  The guitar has got to "feel right" to you as you are going to be friends for a long time, so don't make any "snap decisions" , play everything you can get your hands on and try to get to a shop that takes the time to properly set up the guitars before they are hung on the wall!  Feed your favorites through several amps while you are there and that might get you an idea of the real versatility of the axe before you lay down your hard earned money.

Take Care, Good hunting, and once again Welcome Aboard!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare