Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF PICK-UPS

There are many different electric guitars on the market, so I decided to make it easier and to write my questions more limited.
To be honest there are less complicated topics, but I find it interesting for PERSONAL reasons, and for ALL THE PEOPLE HERE WHO CHANGE the original pick-ups by other pick ups.
Quit often you read that epiphone pick-ups are replaced by gibson pu's. Is it worth to do this?
- Seymour Duncan, Fralin, EMG's. Are they really worth to change an original by these pu's?
The MAGNETS? What is their contribution?
A good luthier  will have a device that measures the output.
WHAT ABOUT THE ALNICO pick ups? WILL THE GUITAR SOUND DIFFERENT IF YOU replace THE NECK PU BY THE BRIDGE PU?
- What is an active pick up versus a passive pick up?
- What is the real difference between a MIM Fender and a MIA Fender pick ups? Are they really different?
- What about the Gibson pick ups? They started with single coils P-90, followed by PAF, or '57 classic humbuckers, and the HB+'57. Burstbuckers.
I really have no clue about all the different Gibson pick-ups, and Fender.
This is maybe written in a complicated style, it is because I want to know the "impact" of a pick-up on an electric guitar.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF PICK-UPS

Maybe this is a good place to start:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_(music)

HTH

G

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”

Jimi Hendrix

I'm often amazed at people who'll spend lots of money for a guitar and immediately start replacing stuff... If one does a little basic research and then buys a guitar then he or she should give the instrument a chance.   I've been playing around with a MIM Fender Stratocaster and started with the factory single pickups...for some reason they just didn't sound good. Other MIM strats with the same pickups sounded fine! I've since done several rewire and pickup modifications and have got the sounds that I like. It seems that some of the Epiphone Pickups in an Epiphone Les Paul sound great at lower volumes but have issues when really cranked up...I think that's where the upgrade to Gibson pickup or aftermarkets can make a big difference...

This is one of those issues that can be hotly debated and discussed for an awful long time...  I hope this makes sense...jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

4 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-05-11 03:56:18)

Well Jaygordon, I was thinking exact like you.
As far as I know, only ONE guitar is worth = and NOT A MUST to change pick ups.
Why does the man have 2 Gibson LP, equipped with EMG.
The "Zakk Wylde" EPIPHONE IS ALSO equipped with EMG pick ups. If I should buy this one, the offs are 75% that I replace them by those from the Gibson with bull's eye.
WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT THIS MAN? I know him because I found him in the standard, custom Gibsons, and again in the Epiphone section. I looked for him on "wikipedia" but I don't understand  why he seems to be so popular.2 GIBSON CUSTOMS FOR ZAKK. EMG humbucking pickups an 81 and 85 and if this isn't already enough, here another one Gibson Custom Limited Run Zakk Wylde Bullseye Aged Les Paul Electric Guitar = 8000$ on line, but MSRP 12.000$
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar Bulls-EyeOverall: 9,2/10 = very good comment. Price = 799$ and MRSP = 1300$ (the first on line, the second price in a regular store.
Equipped with 2 USA EMG-HZ/H4 pickups. WILL THERE BE A "SIGNIFICANT" DIFFERENCE IF YOU REPLACE THE EPI PICKUPS BY GIBSON EMG 81+85.
It was really difficult to write this, are there chordians who replaced (probably on every Epiphone) the regular humbuckers by EMG 81+85 pickups.
WHY IS THAT MAN SO FAMOUS TO GET 3 DIFFERENT GUITARS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc

I own one of the Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Pauls (EMG-HZ/H4) ... I like the metal sound coming from a Les Paul but while I like the sound of the EMG-HZ/H4's, they still sound a little "muddy or dirty" to me so later on I'm going to swap them out with the EMG 81/85's

In regards to your question about Zakk Wylde, he's the lead guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne and fronts his own band Black Label Society ... he's one of the preminent metal guitarists today ... while he doesnt play "shred metal" type stuff, his style of play is very dirty, raunchy, and powerful ... the EMG's suit his style to a "tee"

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

GSJWINTON, thanks for the link. I have plenty of time, but sitting here is even very painful. Everytime I promess to less complicated topics, I find other great topics, and following the link, is the place where I started.
JAYGORDON, you write exactly what I was thinking, probably "cyber telepathy" big_smile
I answered already a few days ago, and often people who start to replace pick ups, tuners, it will cost you at least 200$ extra
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-II Electric Guitar Overall Rating: 9.31 + pricetag = $749.00. I picked this guitar because she looks great  and here a link:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod … sku=515624
Take an Epiphone LP Custom, and you pay online 699$ or MSRP: $1,214.00(in a real guitar store
You can't tell that this is a cheap guitar. Changing pickups on your epihone is not that cheap either. EXAMPLE = Gibson humbuckers, you want to use on your guitar: Gibson 500T Super Ceramic Bridge Humbucker Electric Guitar Pickups = online 110$ and MSRP = 135$ X 2. Most of us can't change their guitar, resulting in work for a luthier, who as to earn money as well, so combine all these factors and your Epi will have a price tag between 1000-1100$ I am following my instincts and go to GIBSON. A Gibson LP Studio = 799$
I believe that the "gap" between EPIPHONE and GIBSON is getting smaller.
MSRP

I have a Peavey Wolfgang Special that was designed by Peavey with Eddie Van Halen...the goal was to produce a guitar that was made to Van Halens specs and would need no modifications or upgrades to play like Eddie. He is an extremely versatile player and this guitar right out of the box with a proper set up is amazing! Mine will get some sweet Les Paul tones and then get downright nasty if wanted...Yet I've known people to buy one of these and then change out the pick-ups and stuff. Or they would spend over two thousand for a Gibson Les Paul and then switch to Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio Pickups...
I have a Wolfgang Special and also a Gibson Les Paul Classic...both are stock and I wouldn't dare change anything in either. But I do have a couple of hotrod/project guitars that I constantly mess with...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Guilty as charged - I've changed pickups on most of my guitars. The 2 main reasons are, 1. I am looking for a particular type of tone and a guitar that looks nice/has a good unplugged sound/plays in tune/etc but may not have the electric tone I want and 2. because wood varies. You can build 4 strat bodies from the same chunk of alder or ash and they will still sound different. By switching pickups, you can adjust the tone to better compliment that particular stick of wood.

As for magnets, in my experience: ceramic = bright, strong, hot but can be harsh ; Alnico 2 = sweet treble, detailed bass, vocal middle, but can get flubby in the bass; Alnico 5 = tight bass, clear treble - the middle path that all others are judged by, but can be bland, esp. if overwound. Alnico 3 is used occasionally, and is similar to alnico 2, with a bit of 5 thrown in. I prefer alnico 2.

I bought in January 2002 a set of guitars from a friend (he passed away 3 months ago), who was not only a fantastic guitar player, but who was already destroying his body since long.
- HIS LIFE TURNED AROUND ALCOHOL, and he was a kind of tramp, but a brilliant player, who played with big names. I paid 5000$ for a FENDER STRATOCASTER 1964 original, and the second was not the goldtop he told to sell me, but a 1968 GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM. I went to the guitar store and since I have a 1978 LP custom, I wanted to bring back the '68 to the beginning when they had P-90 pick ups (now P-94 to fit in the cavity). The sound? INCREDIBLE. PROBABLY BECAUSE I HAD 1 NECK P-94 and the HUMBUCKER on the bridge (Bridge 94 wasn't in stock)
I have the originals (PAF) in a box here. This guitar, I use it very rare, because too heavy.
SO BACK TO EMG
EMG-HZ/H4 set of pick-ups.
EMG 81 - 85 set of pick ups.
For me it is a mystery to hear the difference between EMG, DiMarzio. About the P-94 and Humbucker, I have 2 guitars with that combination: DUESENBERG 49er and Starplayer TV I have again that "unbelievable sound" with Neck = S and Bridge = H
ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF PICK UPS, I really wanted to know (are there studies about this?) if a blindfold man is able to hear the difference between a MIM and MIA Strat. Or an Epiphone LP Standard versus a Gibson LP Standard. I WROTE HEAR!!

Seems that there are so many variables in what shapes the sound. There could be several guitars of the same make, construction, pickups, even paint and it seems that each will have it's own personality and often one might have that "sound" that the others don't have. I often see really beat up and worn "vintage" guitars at the show for ridiculas prices and I always ask the seller "why should I buy one of these when so many good new ones are available at a 1/10th of the price?" ... They almost alway state because of the "sound" even though some aren't even in playing condition...

lolol...they "LOOK" like they sound good. That must be what the price is about...lol.

=P
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle