Topic: Same Chord Shape, Different Name

If you look at the chord chart in the resources tab you will see under the "A" chords "Adim" (diminished) with first fret strings 2 and 4 fretted and 2nd fret strings 1 and 3 fretted.

I have also seen this same chord with the same position being marketed under the "C" and "F" banner.

Obviously it is a weird one where the root is chosen from the 4 notes depending on key but all other notes are the same.

How many chords are there like this?

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: Same Chord Shape, Different Name

I do not know the total number but I find it interesting that diminished chords repeat after you go up 4 frets.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

as far as i understand it, diminished chords can be named as any of the four notes played, therefore;

A Dim = A+D#+C+F#.

or
C Dim. or D#Dim or F# Dim.

you can also play the same chord on the 5th fret [for A Dim] or on the 7th fret or 10th fret, which will be the same notes in a different order ; A+D#+C+F#. or C+F#+D#+A, OR D#+A+F#+C, they also count as any of the notes become the chord name.

here's something you might like to try, you can stick it in a song for effect, i have many times;

play A Dim on the 2nd fret, then same shape on the 5th fret then the 7th fret then 10th fret, it gives a kind of run-up feel, play with it a while see what you can come up with...

your not just limited to A by the way, you can use the same shape for any diminished chord, just find the root note which can be on any of the 4 high strings, and away you go. a little practice till you find the most effective for the section your playing.

hope this helps

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-05-13 07:21:47)

KajiMa wrote:

If you look at the chord chart in the resources tab you will see under the "A" chords "Adim" (diminished) with first fret strings 2 and 4 fretted and 2nd fret strings 1 and 3 fretted.

I have also seen this same chord with the same position being marketed under the "C" and "F" banner.

Obviously it is a weird one where the root is chosen from the 4 notes depending on key but all other notes are the same.

How many chords are there like this?

With that chord it really depends on the context you use it in - and as people have said, which note is considered to be the root of the chord.
If the chord is under "A", then it is a 7/9 chord, that is in this case, a A chord with flattened 7 (standard A7) and added flattened 9th.
Played without the root A it consists of 4 notes all separated by a minor 3rd (3 half tones) and has a nice sound.
If you add the open A string as the root, you get a real crunchy, somewhat jazzy discord. It's the flattened 9th that is the crunchy note!
The chord in this form would tend to resolve to to D minor (or major), or possible F. Go with what you ear tells you.
The reason this chord repeats up the fret board every 3 frets is because it's notes are all separated by 3 half tones (= 3 frets).