Topic: ...you know..

Is probably the most used phrase in the USA.
Is this correct, and is there a reason?
I heard it on a concert a while ago, where the singer, when he was telling little stories in between songs. Like: I've been, you know, to Arizona, you know,.....
I believe every language has his "kind of stop words"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ...you know..

Lieven,.
not just the USA, this is commonly used a lot in the UK as well.
It is a way of the speaker ( mostly unconciously) making sure you understand what they are saying.

I hear a lot of people saying this when talking and when i do I reply "no, I didnt" or "no, I dont know"

another one is when people are talking, especially europeans speaking english they say "ehhh" or "ummmm". Maybe they are trying to imitate an engine but really i tihn kit is they are trying to think of the word to say

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It is correct.  There is no reason.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You are correct Doc. It's one of those things we say that has no meaning. I've always felt that way about prefacing something with "in my opinion" (even though I do this frequently!); if you're saying it it's obviously your opinion or factual in either case no need for the phrase. Another is "basically".

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I think its your brain pausing to find the correct thing to say lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

There's one thing, like, you find, you know what I'm saying, that is, uhhh, a kind of truism, kind of, that is, like, that none of the great oraters, you know, do this....... kinda, like, sort of, you know what I'm saying.

AT THE END OF THE DAY......................... this one gets me geoaguiar.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

The term for this is called "guggling". The one that irks me to no end is;

"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

I refused to rehire an employee due to his overuse of this moronic phrase. Join the crusade and help put an end to catch phrases.!!!!

Give everything but up.

Howzatt??? lol

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I know a lot of people who use these phrases constantly.  It irritates me because I hear them during their normal converstaions.  It just becomes a bad habit.  I guess it is what is is, right SouthPaw?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have a friend who owns the recording studio I record at,Ive known him for over 30 yrs and he always starts to explain something with "well basically" I think it makes him feel smarter lol

KajiMa wrote:

There's one thing, like, you find, you know what I'm saying, that is, uhhh, a kind of truism, kind of, that is, like, that none of the great oraters, you know, do this....... kinda, like, sort of, you know what I'm saying.

AT THE END OF THE DAY......................... this one gets me geoaguiar.

Me too but I find myself using it all the time....just can't help myself.

Elvis Costello

SouthPaw41L wrote:

The term for this is called "guggling". The one that irks me to no end is;

"IT IS WHAT IT IS"

I refused to rehire an employee due to his overuse of this moronic phrase. Join the crusade and help put an end to catch phrases.!!!!

I use that 1 too. This thread is teaching me that although I know it's wrong I do it anyhow. I also try not to use "ain't" and curse words but have not been able to shake either.

Elvis Costello

Things that people say that sorta irk you...
This guy always calls me "young man" now this is ok accept that he's about 15 years younger than me..
I'm not sure whether he's taking the urinal short sighted or just flattering me.
I know basically at the end of the day it is what it is.....  absolutely

I kind of favor the "wherever you go there you are" phrase it can be used just about for any application smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

I kind of favor the "wherever you go there you are" phrase it can be used just about for any application smile

Oh lordy...my wife can't stand that one hehehehe....

tongue
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

"You know" is another terrible speach habit like the overuse of the word "like". Like, you know, man, it's very difficult to break such a habit once the pattern has been set.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It just seems like people have replaced "um" with "you know" or "well" (is a deep subject for shallow minds) or "so" (buttons on your underwear). The phrase I catch myself using a lot is "watcha gonna do"...in my defense though, I usually say that to someone who has complained about the same thing for about 10 minutes and I'm tired of hearing about it so it's basically my way of trying to politely tell them to quit their cryin"!

I've gotten so used of hearing everyone say these words or phrases that I kind of tune them out...watcha gonna do wink

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

My father-in-law stuttered and took speech therapy several times as the stuttering returned from time to time.  One of the things they taught him was NOT to use those phrases but to repeat what he had just said as it would help to trigger his mind to release the words that were trapped on his tongue.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"Actually" That's my word. I use it alot though I hadn't noticed till my wife pointed out that she thought when we first meet it was interesting when I said actually cuz it sounded like I knew something more than she did. After 8 years together she says it's annoying to hear me say "actually" cuz it sounds like I know more than everybody!! I don't even notice when I say it!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

A short phrase I think is getting a little worn out is the "hello" in reference to someone not understanding and it seems like everybody and there uncle is useing "duh"or "doh" smile

Most people who use these phrases a lot probably don't realize they are doing it, until someone points it out to them.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Bensonp, are you saying they have verbal diarrhoea?

I believe that it is really complex to explain this.
If you should count the "euhs" we say every day, it is unbelievable.
I have 1 interpretation and also I believe that RUSSELL is very close to the solution.
1) WE DON'T DO THIS ON PURPOSE
2) SO THIS MEANS SUBCONSCIOUS.
3) AND, YES it can be very irritating IF YOU PAY ATTENTION.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Doc,

I think you have hit the answer on the head.  Some of the very phrases you all have put forward are running rampant through the English language.  Granted some are cultural, and some are regional, but most are subliminal, and we who do it most do not even realize how bloody annoying it can be to others. 

The bright side is that I seem to omit most of mine when the medium of communication is written.  Might have something to do with having time to compose thoughts more precisely, and putting forth effort to be understood, or even better... not to be misunderstood.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yes... In guernsey we add 'eh' to the end... we say

You know, eh?

Or

Well, eh, you know, him down Pliemont eh?

Love it I do eh!