Topic: NoVa jamm is on! Saturday, June 13

My wife is OK with a jamm on Saturday, June 13 at my house. 

This will be a mellow affair.  If the weather's good, we'll have a campfire and play around it in the back yard.  There is power nearby if someone absolutely must have an amp.  Otherwise, let's go acoustic.  If weather is poor, we'll move it into my finished basement.  It may be a bit cramped, and there are toys everywhere as that's where my kids play, but it's warm, dry, and comfortable. 

I'm thinking a late afternoon into the evening, drop in sort of thing.  I'll host it at my house, and provide some waters, some beer (if no one objects - I'd rather have folks come by than have beer if that's what stands in the way of someone coming), and some soda.  We'll have to eat something along the line, so I'll provide some snacky things and maybe have some appetizers prepared.   I'm not planning on this being a dinner thing, but if folks want to turn it into a pot-luck I could probably be convinced. 

E-mail me using the link provided by Chordie and let me know if you plan to come.  I've already got Jets60, Detman101, and one of my neighbors saying that they're in.  I've sent an e-mail to Oldnewbie to let him know, and will let a couple of my fishing/paddling/picking friends know about it too.  It'd be nice if we could get six or so guys to "swap" songs in turn, and do some teaching, some learning, and some critiqueing (if requested) in a safe and friendly environment where everyone's just having fun. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: NoVa jamm is on! Saturday, June 13

make it next year and I might come lol. this is too short notice for me

I plan to take a trip over there next year for a few weeks.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The unofficial president of Loudoun County would welcome the unofficial king of Scotland with great fanfare, pomp and circumstance.  Either that or I'd shake one of your hands, stuff a beer in the other, and show you where the campfire is. 

In that you enjoy camping, if you come into the Washington, DC area and need some gear, let me know.  I'd be happy to pick you up from the airport and lend you whatever gear you need.  I enjoy showing off the natural wonders of my area.  I don't hit the monuments on tours, but I do show off my rivers and woods.  Plus wineries.  Virginia is slowly becoming more renowned as a wine producer.  They claim to be equal to many European wines.  While I'm not sure about that, I am sure that it's decent wine in beautiful environs.  There's usually a winery or two between this river and that wood to take care of the thirst that comes upon one while travelling. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Now that's what I call hospitality. And you have wine, too!
Wish I could make the jamm!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks Zurf - Really looking forward to it.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

jets60 wrote:

Thanks Zurf - Really looking forward to it.

Directions sent.   I'm looking forward to it.  I'll have to pull out the songs of yours that I've printed out and refamiliarize myself with them.  I'm particularly eager to hear that song about bike riding.  It captured much of what I love about that activity. 

- Zurf

Man, this looks like a winner. This could become a regular event. Could this be the start of an annual Chordiethon? I think Mrs Zurf may have something to say on that!!!!!!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

cheers Zurf.
I would not want to see monuments etc, trees and a campfire is fine with me.

And same back to you. If yer ever in Scotland I am not that far away from glasgow,Prestwick or Edinburgh airports, all within 50 miles so I can pick ye up.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Awesome, can't wait.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

10 (edited by Riverdales 2009-05-15 18:52:13)

Why is this thread call NoVa jamm? NoVa in spanish means no NOT GOING!!! I would think you would want people to go. Unfortunately I am 1,625 miles away, but if it becomes an annual event it would be cool to take a vacation! Have a hella'good time and remember us who will be online that day! How about SiVa it means IS GOING!! SIVA jamm 09'!!!!!

Could it be North Virginia??? Hmmmmmmm!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Riverdales wrote:

NoVa in spanish means no NOT GOING!!!

Could it be North Virginia??? Hmmmmmmm!

NoVa is local shorthand for Northern Virginia.  On an international site, it's probably not appropriate to use local shorthand.  But then it occured to me that by using local shorthand, it would catch the eye of folks who are local to this region and those are the very people whose attention I wanted to attract.  As welcome as they'd be, I didn't suspect Upyerkilt, Doc, or Alvee to attend from the UK. 

Oh, and also because I don't speak Spanish.  The world is full of languages I don't speak. 

Ken - Thanks for the offer.  Scotland is one of my dream destinations and I may take you up on that when the kids are older.  I've always wanted to go there and trek on foot to castles to explore, whether they were standing or in ruins, and hear the local stories that go with them.   Also, I like pubs, and I hear that the best in the world are in Scotland (though the Irish and the Germans give them a run for the money). 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf,

That's a mighty large dose of hospitality you are dishing out there..... best wishes for a good turn out and compliments to the missus for being so understanding.  A real gem you got there Zurf... bet you already know that though!

Let see.... if I started hitch-hiking tomorrow.....  Nah I'd still be too late, Darn!

Have a good time you all and Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Detman101 wrote:

Awesome, can't wait.

Dm

Directions sent via e-mail.

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Awesome, can't wait.

Dm

- Zurf

Um...I never received the directions.
I got 2 other "Cause" emails from you but that's it...

I got the clearance from the wife for that day.
Everything is good to go.

big_smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Awesome, can't wait.

Dm

- Zurf

Um...I never received the directions.
I got 2 other "Cause" emails from you but that's it...

I got the clearance from the wife for that day.
Everything is good to go.

big_smile
Dm

More directions sent.  I used the "e-mail" feature on the forum.

Awesome. Got them this time.
Thanks man!

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle