Topic: Single coil pickups on a PRS?

I have a PRS SE with stock zebra humbucking pickups ... I wanted to swap them out with single coil pickups but I have no idea where to start ... I love the Gibson P90 pickups but I wasn't sure if you'd be able to install them due to the humbucker/single coil swap and the size of the opening the humbuckers would leave after they're out .... can you actually do this and is it hard to accomplish?

Also, if I can't use P90's, is there another brand of single coil pickup that I could use in it's place that would sound good?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Single coil pickups on a PRS?

You can change them although you may have to purchase or make some type of ring to cover up the empty space. You may be able to purchase a blank pickguard and customize it. Personally I wouldn't mess with it, you stand a chance of ruining a fine guitar not to mention losing any resale value. If the wallet allowed I would purchase a strat or some other guitar equipped with single coils and leave the PRS as is.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I wonder if you might could simply add a switch to split your humbucking pickups...they you could play it as a single coil or a humbucker depending on the sound you're after...   I agree with bswyers, you could cover the space and then custom fit a single coil in it...or better yet use this as an excuse to invest in another guitar already equipped with single coils...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Don't do it!!!! That's too fine of a guitar. By yourself a Mexi Strat or Chinese copy if you're wanting a single coil!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

lol it's becoming a common thing ... I think you guys are right though ... I'll probably just invest in a Fender Strat

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75