Topic: is it ok to learn on a cheap crappy guitar?

i used to play when i was like 15/16.  i'm 28 now and am about to attempt to get serious and learn because i write a lot and do nothing constructive with it.  i love music of all kinds and my dad's an awesome musician so it's in my blood.  i just ordered a very cheap acoustic from ebay to learn on and i'm just wondering if i made a good decision.  obviously i wont be out much money if i didn't, but will it affect my learning at all if the thing is as big of a piece as i suspect it is??

Re: is it ok to learn on a cheap crappy guitar?

krystabulous it dont matter if its a cheapo to learn the fundamentals later as you improve if you stick with it you can always upgrade, if you lose interest then your not out a lot so work with this for a few months and look for something better smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

hi Krystabulous and welcome to chorie

I learned on a really cheap done in knackered guitar, the bridge was a bit broke as well as a tuning key, the action was too high and it had wee hole from where the darts went into the body. ( my mate that I got it off decided the place for it to be was under the dart board)

So yeah a cheap one is OK to learn on.
It will give you the feel for it, but not the true feeling you can get with a better guitar. I would love a different guitar myself just now. I guess every guitar player wants to better his instrument as years go by.

Once you have decided the guitar is an instrument you love and you are managing OK with learning and you can afford it then move up a step and get a better one.
But dont do what I done and rush into getting a new one. new ones that are a bit dearer may not to be that great.
I went from the tatty one to spending £65 and realised after playing other folks guitars this new one still was not good enough for me but I couldnt go out and buy another straight away. I wished I saved for a couple more months. So I had that for about a year before I got another better one. I got it for £120 ( reduced from 160) and I think it is good enough for me but I do want another. I have my eye on an ibenez semi acoustic.

OK ,i am going off on one here lol

yes cheap ones are ok to practice and learn on until you know you are not wasting your money buying something better that you might not play.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!  that's kind of what i thought..i just want to get the most out of my learning experiences.  years back as a teenager i took lessons but didn't stick with it.  this time around i'm doing it on my own and i'm much more determined.  this looks like an awesome site, a buddy of mine referred me and it looks like i'll be spending a lot of my summer here!

I started out cheap and have upgraded slowly over the years.  That's my present for getting better.  If I don't get better, I stick with what I have.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Even a "cheap" guitar can be good if properly set-up.  I would have whatever guitar you wind up with checked and the action/neck adjusted first off.

It is so much easier to make progress on an instrument that doesn't fight you all of the time.  In the beginning it is all about motivation, the fewer barriers in that direction, the more likely you will persevere.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

you guys have great advice.  and bensonp..that was my thought too.  if i deserve a better one in a year then i'll get one.  and this way i'll have one to pass down to my kids who are already little music freaks : )

The adage goes, "Buy cheap, buy twice."  If you are comfortable in the knowledge that you will replace the guitar with a better quality instrument in the future (possibly the NEAR future), then sure, buy the cheapo to learn on.  But do realize that if you are indeed serious about your music that buying the cheap instrument up front is what is called a false economy.

As always, my recommendation is to shop around and buy the best instrument that you can afford.  That doesn't mean to put everything off for years while you save up for that $5000 dream guitar, but there is a world of difference between a $150 starter-pack guitar and a $600 instrument.  How much longer does it take to put together that extra $400, especially when you KNOW you're going to be spending that money later on anyway?

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Almost everyone learns on a "cheap" guitar. As Doug Smith says above, a good set up can make any guitar playable. Although if you stick with it, you'll probably upgrade and aquire a case of GAS (Guitar AcquisitionSyndrome) and own many. I still have my first one 20 years later and still play it a few times a week despite having 5 others of better quailty.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Cheap guitar is fine, but a really good guitar can be inspiring. As soon as you decide that playing guitar for the rest of your life is what you must do...As soon as you find your self worried around slaming car doors... As soon as you can't wait to get home to try out a new song ... start saving.

"but will it affect my learning at all if the thing is as big of a piece as i suspect it is??"

Short answer: yes, it will; but allow me to qualify that.

As some have said, "nearly everyone" learns on a cheap guitar, and in many cases there is good reason for this.  I did it myself, but now that I know better I wish that I had done it a bit differently.

"Cheap" acoustic guitars are notorious for their high, stiff action which may be coupled with other quality shortcomings, all combining to make the instrument difficult to play.  Once you add in the weakness in beginner's fingers, it's no wonder why so many give it up in short order.  So, the cheap instrument will affect your ability to learn, but only in the sense that you are saddling yourself with the same obstacles that "almost everyone" faces.  You won't sound good at first, you'll struggle with sore fingers, and your subsequent willingness (and physical ability) to play will be limited.

In your situation, as someone who seems to know that you want this in your life, you should immediately begin shopping around for that next step up.  You've already bought the cheapo, so go ahead and use it as much as you can; but don't let that stop you from thinking about what kind of sound and feel that you WANT out of a guitar, and while you're struggling and saving up, check out some shops, ask advice, listen and try out instruments that seem to speak to you.  When you find the one that you can't stop staring at, that you can't keep your hands off of, whose voice is the music that you can't hear enough of, that's the one that will inspire you to play and REALLY learn on.  When I found that guitar, I went from 30 minutes a day of practice to 3 hours a day in the course of a month.  I'm still doing it.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

"Cheap" acoustic guitars are notorious for their high, stiff action which may be coupled with other quality shortcomings, all combining to make the instrument difficult to play.  Once you add in the weakness in beginner's fingers, it's no wonder why so many give it up in short order.  So, the cheap instrument will affect your ability to learn, but only in the sense that you are saddling yourself with the same obstacles that "almost everyone" faces.  You won't sound good at first, you'll struggle with sore fingers, and your subsequent willingness (and physical ability) to play will be limited.

I think sometimes playing on a high action guitar can be a good thing. learning is difficult and if you make it through bar chords with a crappy acoustic (as I did) it'll be a joy playing a quality guitar. And you'll appreciate it that much more. I see so many bad players with their Martins and Taylors, it's almost laughable. If high action makes you want to quit you might not have the desire to play....I know this is the macho "no pain; no gain" thing but I think it rings true. And besides, I've played some pretty fine 200.00 acoustics. It's all in the set up. Washburn, Epiphone, Takamine all make decent entry level units. Just my 2 cents worth.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I think dguyton is right.  Keep playing the cheapo, but get your sites set on the next level guitar right away.  You will no doubt try a few and once you feel the difference, you will probably buy the next one.  Or at least start saving for one.  In the meantime, keep practicing.  You will know when it is time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

If you have the music inside you (in your blood, like you said), then consider to buy a good guitar. I buyed a very good one, and still have it; is like a piece of myself, and together we have history.

Normally, you don´t damage your guitar because it brings to you fun, joy and entretanintment. You always take care of it. the possibilities your instrument last a lot of years are high.

Then, is a good chice to buy a good guitar.

Saludos, Bro!

My daughter started out on a cheap Silverton guitar that had been sitting in the Grandparents house untouched for decades.  When we felt she was serious about playing, we went to a good Guitar shop, "The Vintage Fret Shop" in Ashland NH and bought a better one that was also more comfortable for her to play on. 

So yeah, start with cheap and when you want to upgrade find a good store and try as many as you can before doing so.  It'll be worth it.  And keep the cheap one for just banging around on.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

dguyton and Geo both make excellent points, on one hand you have a cheap guitar with a high action and beginners fingers, wich I could see why not alot of people stick with it. Yet on the other hand the high action, sore fingers, and hurting hands were like a war scar to me. It meant I was suffering so that I could get better. The pain was like a badge of honor and I was not going to let that guitar get the best of me, I would tame the beast. Eventually though my fingers stopped hurting and I had gained strenght enough to really hold down those bar chords. 1 year later after playing literally everday for a little more than a year I felt I needed something alittle better not too fancy but not too cheapo! So I bought a 300 dollar Fender From best buy's music store, and let me tell you my fingers had gotten so strong from the cheap guitar's high action that the new fender was like butter I could change from open chords to barre chords lighntning fast. Well that just gave me even more inspiration to keep playing, and so now here I am and even though I have a great playing guitar I still Have GAS(Guitar AcquisitionSyndrome). I want a Gibson SJ-200, but maybe next year!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Hi Krystab ,
    I started playing guitar with a Stella that was old when I got it when I was ten years old ... Could'nt afford anything better at the time so I learned on that guitar ... Let me tell you , it was evil to play , seemed like the intonation was never right no matter what I did with the floating bridge and it had action that you could drive a truck through , but I know that when I finally upgraded to something better , playing that old thing for so long made me a better player and now , forty five years later I still think of what I went through learning on that thing .... Sure made my next guitar more fun to continue the journey ....
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

My wife bought me a $50 Harmony guitar hoping I would serenade her with that instead of my trumpet.
Three months later I was playing with an all country band at a bar so funky that you could smell the men's room from the highway as you drove by.
I could play my first electric guitar with skinny strings and nice low action twice as fast as the old Harmony. Thought that was cool beans.
tooter

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

yeah, this thing is rough to play that's for sure, but i can already see some progress.  i'm definitely looking foward to an upgrade already.  my birthday is 3 months from today and my fiance told me that it's probably what i'll be getting...either that or by christmas.  my fingers are sore as hell, it's only been a week, but i've been practicing several times a day.  this guitar is a bridgecraft i guess...you can tell it's made cheap, but it does have a good sound...once i finally got the thing in tune!  anyone know what a good guitar for around $200 would be?  i'd really like to get a good acoustic/electric so i can rock out when the mood suits me : )

20 (edited by thistles 2009-06-20 08:46:46)

"Cheap can be good"... "Everyone learns on a cheapo..." "Yadda-Yadda"...

All true and sound and well and so on...

BUT (and it is a BIG butt):

The key here is the "can" (not one of Tomato Soup though).

I bought a jolly number of very playable cheap guitars off ebay (among them my favourite, a black Stratcopy by Stagg for about 30 Euros). And one of my main "strumming around and trying new stuff" babies is a cheap nylon straight from the supermarket.

I also got a nice looking Paula copy from the 'bay. Friend of mine took it to a luthier he knows who (out of the idea "Everything is playable if propperly set up") tried for hours to turn it into something useful.  Well now I have a guitar that bears the lable "worst piece of crap in guitarshape". Can't be done...

As a rule (well mine at least) you could say that the chances of having fun with a cheap piece of wood are bigger if it is a nylon one and smaller if it is steel...

Only thing you can do is try out the thing. And later try something better. But DON'T try any dream guitar... It will leave you longing and longing and longing and spending way too much money on mediocre guitars to try to ease the longing... and then your house will be filles with guitars and your girlfriend will yell at you "can't you take me out to dinner instead of buying ANOTHER guitar, you eejit?"...

Sooo... to cut my first rambling on the forum short: YES YOU CAN! (but only maybe)

If its no fun at all, don't try to sell it, set it on fire!

Cheers,

Thistles

P.S.: A good semiaccoustic for 200 bucks is a tough one... I've seen White Falcon copies on ebay for about that much, but I'd rather try those out before I buy... If it's a accoustic with PUs you want, I can suggest the Stagg ones, those are pretty ok and affordable.

Boy next door, age 7 heard me play and announced, " I have a guitar."
I said, "Go get it.
He ran home and brought over a "First Act" acoustic his dad bought at Wal Mart. I restrung it with a set of my month old strings and tuned it for him. A cardboard guitar is not worth the price of a new set of strings.
I thought my first F-hole Harmony guitar was bad but this kid's "First Act" guitar-shaped object, will cut his fingers and sound like garbage forever.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

i learnt on a £40 crappy guitar but i love the sound of it, i have never paid more than £150 for a guitar but it is amazing what you can get second hand. i got a beautifull fender off my grandad, good comdition but a little dirty
my advise is to start on a crap guitar and if you like playing then get a nice guitar that you like the sound of, its not about the cost, it is about the feel

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

In my opinion due to past experiance, there are certain brands that generally make "cheap" guitars, in terms of quality. My point is don't base the opinion of any guitar on name brand, or price for that matter. True lower priced guitars are more likely to have problems, but not always. I was lucky as I learned on a 1922 Gibson L-4....Then as a gift my parents bought me a beautiful Epiphone acoustic...Don't know that model, this was like 1973? Egad!  Anyway they had there lowest priced model which were sweet, and then the one I got that was bigger, and looked so beautiful. The thing would NOT tune! A song by Waylon Jennings, " says, "Theres only two things in life that make it worth livin, its " Guitars that tune good", and firm feeling woman. Okay the woman part aside, there is nothing like a guitar that tunes, and stays in tune. I had this beautiful I polished every day guitar that was really worthless. A constant battle.... A guy I met had a Sears Harmony guitar, the ugliest thing, butt ugly. We were playing and he asked if he could play mine. Sure...so I played this 50.00 Harmony.....I wanted to cry! The tone fell wayyy short of mine, the looks were non comparable.....but it tuned! Now days you can find a guitar at a lesser price that will tune! If they don't tune, it doesn't matter the brand, nor cost. I by chance bought a Jay Turser acoustic on E-bay for a low price, somewhat skeptical but it had a lifetime warranty. It's awesome...it plays and sounds great, and tunes great. I have played martins that fall way short of this guitar. So cheap is very possible and well worth checking in to before buying the  "name brand".  I have just seen too many VERY expensive acoustic and electric guitars that were worthless. I have also played many far less expensive guitars that were priceless, for the action was decent, but most of all, they tuned.  So, Crappy, and Cheap, are two totally different things. Crappy can apply to all guitars in all price ranges. Cheap can be a great, playable guitar, that tunes...( Guitars that tune are sent from God or something! )...Hope my experiance from the past has helped somewhat....Keep playin! What once seem like "spiderman Chords" I call them, lol..open B-7, Barring chords, like D for example, seem impossible, become possible, just dont give in.....keep pushing onward...all the best!
Storm