Topic: Cooking thread...

I know this has nothing to do with guitars but here a thread for recipes and tips on cooking.  It can be anything (ethnic, gourmat, etc..) so here it is smile

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

Re: Cooking thread...

here it aint lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm guessing you have a big party coming up. wink

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

well not really but i love cooking and im only 13 so im still learning a ton wink big_smile

well welcome are1222 to Chordie and you forgot to add the link to the recipe thread smile

Sorry Are1222, I didn't mean that to sound as cheeky as it comes across. So.... do you have any good ideas to start us off? I just love to eat!

7 (edited by arkady 2009-05-31 18:20:31)

Hi Are1222
Welcome to Chordie..
Here's one's for a nice microwave meatloaf...
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1629,14 … 00,00.html
Though I'm not to sure what "catsup" is ?

I think charlotte just gooled up the same one.....:lol:
ark

I love to cook! I'll chime in with a few good recipes shortly... A little too busy to type them out at the moment smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Ken’s Spaghetti bolognaise

500g mince
500g  Spaghetti
One heaped  t spoon of mixed herbs
about table spoon of oregano
1 garlic clove, peeled crushed, sliced mushed
½ teaspoon garlic salt
Tin of double concentrate tomato puree
Tin of chopped  tomatoes
½ large onion or one small onion chopped up very finely indeed
About 8 button mushrooms or 4 large mushrooms chopped into tiny pieces so kids doesn’t notice them
No water
Salt and pepper for seasoning the mince while browning it
A very little amount of soy sauce, and I mean a tiny splatter of it, just enough to make the same size of a £2 coin in the middle of the sauce.
A spatter of worstershire sauce
Cook without lid on for about 40 minutes after everything is in the pot and simmering away.
While that is cooking, boil the spaghetti until ready.
While the bolognaise and spaghetti is cooking , start tidying up, putting things in the bin, sink etc. If there is time, sitting down with a coffee 

In order:
Brown the mince with salt and pepper, chopped onion and garlic
Add tomato puree and tin of tomatoes
Mushrooms
Garlic salt, herbs, worstershire sauce
Soy sauce

while making this it is advisable to drin ka bottle of red wine, doesnt add flavour but makes you feel great

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Like that one Ken. Especially the bit about the mushrooms lol

alvee33 wrote:

Sorry Are1222, I didn't mean that to sound as cheeky as it comes across. So.... do you have any good ideas to start us off? I just love to eat!

no offense taken a little bit of cheekiness is great!! smile um well to start of very vague i like alot of ethnic food japanese indian... um i like some italian... i like veggie dishes but i do like my meat smile

thats for starters

adri

I love cooking, so much I want to share more.lol

This was a recipe I got from my late gran. I still cannot perfect her soup but I get close to it.
This was her recipe and instructions
Before I tell you I got to get your promise you dont tell anyone else this lol

Also you will need a pressure cooker since I dont know how to get it without it. I use a 5 ltr pressure cooker

Pressure cooker,
One large leek
one turnip
2 parsnip
1 ham hough or 2 ham stock cubes
one oxo cube
4 slice of bacon
6 grated carrots
250gms of lentils
one onion
2 garlic cloves
teaspoon of mixed herbs
teaspoon of coriander

You might not fit everything in, if not then take abit of everything out.
Chuck it all in the pressure pot and fill with water to half way. it should be runny and not too thick as when cooking it will all thicken up, if it does then at the end spilt it into two pots and add more water.

Make sure everyting is finely chopped or grated

instead of lentils you can use spilt peas. Soak them overnight or boil them for half hour before adding to the soup.

and since this is a chord site you should always have your guitar at hand to play a tune while cooking. lol

once everything is in the pressure pot turn heat up and once it starts to hiss cook it for about 12 minutes. Slow release on the steam.

Add salt and pepper to taste

play your guitar and get your spouse to serve it

Ken

Ken it sounds really delicious but pressure cookers here have for the most part been recycled but there are a few at some of the second hand stores but you really have to look hard,my mom used one but they were fazed out by slow cookers and crock pots smile

I always wanted to be a short order cook, but I was too tall. Great idea for a cooking thread.
One half cooks great, the other half does the cleanup, I'm the other half, and thats fine with me.
Because people,  she's an awesome cook.

Badeye  mmmmmmmmm  cool

one caper after another

just keeping this thread alive...

beanza's  cape breton pizza.

four to six slices of bread,can of beans, peperoni, chedder cheese,  spread beans on bread , add diced peperoni, top with cheese, bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees.  tasty and nutrisious.   

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Welcome to cooking thread with your host RIverdales! First Insert bread into toaster. Next when toast pops up, remove and place on plate and add butter to preference! Enjoy! Expert toast maker!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

SouthPaw41L's world famous Cinnamon Toast;

Pre-heat oven to max broil temp.( I just turn the oven on and when my food prep is done the oven's usually hot enough)

6 slices of bread covered thinly with butter
Generously dust each piece of bread with powdered cinnamon
Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per each piece of bread
Finely mince 2 fresh mint leaves and add evenly to each piece of bread

Place in hot,hot oven for 2 minutes and 22 seconds. ( I use the timer on the microwave, that's why I do the 2:22 thing)
My kids absolutely love this creation. My Mother( the coolest lady in planet cool) used to make this at least once a week.

I like the sound of badeyes beanza's cape brenton pizza. What kind of beans do you use? Do you drain and/or rinse them off?

We're off for breakfast at The Cracker Barrell per request of my wife.

You folks have a wonderful day,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

SouthPaw41L's world famous Cinnamon Toast;

Pre-heat oven to max broil temp.( I just turn the oven on and when my food prep is done the oven's usually hot enough)

6 slices of bread covered thinly with butter
Generously dust each piece of bread with powdered cinnamon
Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per each piece of bread
Finely mince 2 fresh mint leaves and add evenly to each piece of bread

Place in hot,hot oven for 2 minutes and 22 seconds. ( I use the timer on the microwave, that's why I do the 2:22 thing)
My kids absolutely love this creation. My Mother( the coolest lady in planet cool) used to make this at least once a week.

I like the sound of badeyes beanza's cape brenton pizza. What kind of beans do you use? Do you drain and/or rinse them off?

We're off for breakfast at The Cracker Barrell per request of my wife.

You folks have a wonderful day,
SouthPaw41L

just canned white beans in tomato sauce or maple syurp. right from the can they are ready to eat.

badeye   :cool:

one caper after another

southpaw,
is that granulated sugar? castor sugar? icing sugar? brown sugar? another sort of sugar?

sounds nice, I might give this one a go when my wife remembers everything I instruct her to get when she goes shopping..........Oh yeah it is me that does the shopping in my house so nothing is forgotten, I hope I remember this

Ken

Here's what I use for my chili:
For this recipe you are going to need a 4 quart pot. Like most competition chili recipes ingredients will be added in what is called drops. This recipe has 3 drops to it.
On the day before you plan on cooking the chili, brown 2 pounds of lean ground beef and drain all the grease off in a glass shaped like this “\/†.  On the day you cook the chili add the meat to the pot, add 1/5 of the fat (white ring around the top) and all the glutens (the jelly like substance in the bottom of the glass). Heat until the meat is sizzling. Adding the meat drippings, especially the glutens, will really make the meat much more tender and much more tasty. As for the fat, the fat adds taste but be miserly with the fat as too much fat gets your chili too greasy.
Now add one 14.5 ounce can of broth (beef or chicken or vegetable which ever you prefer) and one 8 ounce can of salt free tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes or tomato juice (v8 works too).
Now for the heart and soul of your chili: Add 3-6 (3 for milder to 6 for hotter..1-2 for the real wimps) types of pepper of your choice to the mixture (these just vary to taste but remember the hotter the pepper the hotter the chili so make what you want) and bring the mixture to a boil. When the boil starts add drop 1.
Drop 1:
2 cup finely minced white or yellow onions
2 cloves finely minced garlic (about 1/8 cup)
1 Tablespoon of Chili Powder (brand 1)
Cover the pot and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour. Remove the pepper and crush the juice into the pot. Now its time to add Drop 2 to the pot.
Drop 2:
2-1/2 Tablespoons (brand 2) chili powder
2 Teaspoons cumin
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 Cube beef bullion
1/2 Cube chicken bullion
1/2 Teaspoon Japanese seasoning fish soup base
1/2 Teaspoon honey
1/2 cup red wine
Continue boiling with lid on for 30 minutes. After boiling for the 30 minutes add the last drop.
Drop 3:
2 Teaspoons brand 3 Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Cover it up and simmer for 15 minutes more and serve it up.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Easy fry morel mushrooms

Have spouse pick, slice ,clean, & fry till golden brown. And since she doesn't care for mushrooms-but loves to pick, slice, clean, & fry them for ME!!
  Serve with a icy cold beer. Thank you very much!!

Ron

aabb wrote:

Easy fry morel mushrooms

Have spouse pick, slice ,clean, & fry till golden brown. And since she doesn't care for mushrooms-but loves to pick, slice, clean, & fry them for ME!!
  Serve with a icy cold beer. Thank you very much!!

Where do you find morels (i should probably ask your wife) do you think theyd grow in Vermont???

usually in a hilly old growth hardwoods. in the spring before the trees leaf out. If you can find some "trilliums" -a wild flower with three white pedals -  your in  a probable area. Also in a poplar regrowth around old stumps from a logging operation. A warm humid night will trigger their growth or lots of sunshine after a good rain.. GOOD LUCK  smile  WARNING !! you should have someone who is familiar with the picking of these show you because there are lots of poisonous ones out there!!
Please, Do Not take this Warning lightly!!

Ron

upyerkilt wrote:

southpaw,
is that granulated sugar? castor sugar? icing sugar? brown sugar? another sort of sugar?

sounds nice, I might give this one a go when my wife remembers everything I instruct her to get when she goes shopping..........Oh yeah it is me that does the shopping in my house so nothing is forgotten, I hope I remember this

Ken

Hi Ken,
Just your basic granulated sugar. It's best if it goes on last because the sugar melts down and mixes in nicely with the cinnamon.

Give everything but up.