Topic: OK ZURF IF I HAD A BOAT A COVER OF LYLE LOVETT

I normally do not do cover songs but I am with the help of members and Chordies song library putting a set list together because I have decided to unretire and do some gigs so I picked up some new gear and Zurf pointed me to this Lyle Lovett song "If I had a boat" and after watching the video I got to liking it so I did a cover of it this morning I did have to read the lyrics as I haven't had time to commit it to memory so Zurf here's the first cut hope you enjoy smile
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … D=58934826

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: OK ZURF IF I HAD A BOAT A COVER OF LYLE LOVETT

Not too bad Russell!

But buddy you gotta get one of those "afro" wigs and maybe get real skinny to do Lyle Lovett impersonations.  LOL

Good Job.... just one question though, why did you and Julia Roberts split up anyway?

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug (I think lol ) well Julia and Lyle did split up but if I was Lucky enough to have that lady heaven and earth couldn't come between and I ain't ever gonna be skinny again nor were any Afro wig so chances are slim to none but there's always my guitar to keep me company and I can pick on her as much as I want and she never gets mad lol

Sweet.  My day is complete. 

Detman101 and Jets60 just left about 1/2 hour ago.  They were here and we had a good time out back for a little longer than 3 hours together before the thunder started talking and the fellows thought they ought to get home. 

Between them and this, and especially because you explained how the song is played and now I HAVE to try it myself, my day has been sure enough a good one.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well God bless ya glad to hear Jets and DT stopped by and that is always a plus to actually meet people you only chat or exchange post with here on Chordie I saw Lyle in the video and he had it capoed on the 9Th fret and so I figured why not the chords are easy and the vocal range in not to high and this was only a rough take but I figured what the heck lol

Hi Russ,

I am sure I posted this last night but i cannot see it here, maybe I forgot to hit submit then closed my windows ?

Anyway, good song. I have never heard it before but i like it now and i tihnk i will go look up the original and might have a go at it myself but without the finger picking.

So what i typed last night....9th fret??????? 9th flippin fret?, lol

Would it not work for your vocals on the 4th fret too? This lyle person must have made a mistake on the 9th or done it for a laugh.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken I did the same thing I typed in a response and checked the spelling with my spellcheck and hit the forum tab and wiped out all of the text and I too was tired and thought aarg and did not redo the post regarding this song Lyle plays the song capoed on the 9th fret the same as in my video but you can capo on the 4th and use the open chord formation C Am G or capo on the 2nd fret and use the open chord formation D G A and bar C#m or play the E in the 1st posistion with the chords open E B C# smile

hello russel me auld muckka!

glad to see your still plucking away, i'm also happy to hear your gonna do some gigs, will we see them on your myspace?

nice song and well played and sung, i've never heard it before either, but it does tend to stick in the mind.

talk soon my friend

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Phill I hope Muckka means friend lol yea I'm still pickin and as soon as I can get my act together I most likely will use the "upcoming gigs" feature on myspace who knows I might get booked in Europe lol (ho ho) the song is a little like "The Gambler" form Kenny Rogers but Lyle adds a few twists to make it distinctive,I still am waiting on some equipment that should come in the next few days so I can get started with setting up the presentation (rehearse the act) this may take a few weeks as I do not want to play unprepared before a live audience and there's so much potential with this new gear to "boldly go where no man has gone before,seek out new civilizations" sort of lol

Hey Russ - That was great. First I heard of the song but you sure sold me on it. Sure would have been fun having you there yesterday too.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Thanks Jeff and I would have loved to have been there, who knows next year I may make the pilgrimage to Zurf's mecca lol

Russ, I really like your pickin style, don't know exactly what your doing but i like it.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne it is a hybrid cross between finger pickin and strumming with my thumb its a less rigid playing style for me I also use it on the video "Aleta" on myspace smile

wlbaye wrote:

Russ, I really like your pickin style, don't know exactly what your doing but i like it.

Some day it will probably be called somerthing like Russ Picking, or something.  Good job bud.  I like it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Yes, checked that out too, and that's what I figured. Sounds very good !

Later, Wayne P

Appreciate your comments Bensonp you never can tell im lazy by nature and I allways look for the easiest way to accomplish something with a minimal ammout of energy sort of "Green Pickin" lol

Brilliant, Russell!

I love "If I had a boat". I discovered Lyle Lovett about a year ago in my quest to find great songwriters wherever they hide. There's a movie that has it at the start - the star ( whose name I forget) gets up from his seat at the bar pulls the plug on the juke box which was playing rock and re-sets it to play "If I had a boat".

I like the jazzy / swing that he adds to his songs.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Stransongs thanks for your comments it took a little for me to appreciate Lyle for his abilities I was sidetracked by his appearance, the old saying "cant judge a book by its cover" comes to mind and I just added "Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show to my set list fun song to play and sing smile