1 (edited by Detman101 2009-06-24 19:22:28)

Topic: Frickin Shady Shops...

I recently got my guitar back from having a pup installed. They said that I needed to supply them with a set of Ernie Ball 10s to put on the guitar after the work was done. So I gave them my spare set with the guitar and pup to be installed.

When I picked up the guitar 15 hours later, they handed me my gear and told me that the total was 35 dollars. I looked at them bewildered since I PAID for everything upfront before the work started. The guy at the counter gave me some lame excuse that there was a charge for putting the new strings on and tried to bs his way around it. I gave him the hand and just told him to charge the card so I could get out of there.

I felt that was intentionally shady and it rubbed me wrong.

Now when I got the guitar back I knew that something was different.
It was confirmed today while playing along with some Albert King tunes at lunch...

I blew my high-e string and went to replace it with a B-String leftover from a previous set of Ernie Ball 10's until I could get home and replace the whole set.  When I put the B-string on the high-e slot I noticed that the one I put on was bigger/thicker than the B-string that the shop put on!

The B-String that I put on is about the same size as the G-string that the shop put on...meaning that they put 9's on my guitar!!

Now for shadyness part two.....

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SET OF 10'S THAT THEY SAID I HAD TO GIVE THEM WHEN I DROPPED OFF THE GUITAR!?!?!?!

Frickin swindling b@$&@rds!!

Should I go back and tear the manager a new hole or just never buy there again?

>=[
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Frickin Shady Shops...

Sad story. If you can't trust the local guys who can you trust? I'm assuming this isn't a chain store. If it is then good luck; no sense in trying to get resolution, the chains just couldn't care less. At GC, I bought a Line 6 Pod. The 1st one didn't work, the second one was cracked and the third one's serial number had already been registered to another person on line 6's site. Upon complaining at the store level about buying used product sold as new I was directed to call customer support. I called and sent an email. They just flat out didn't care. I will never shop there again and tell my tale to all that will listen.
Sorry for the rant...I just wanted you to know that I know how you feel.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Yep.  Go back and talk to them.  Talk rationally and calmly.  If they ask what you want to be satisfied, know what you want.  I'd want my $35 back, plus get my Ernie Ball 10s back, and finally to watch them shove their 9s into a dark and foreboding place.  Seriously.  Who uses 9s?   

I'll bet I know the shop you went to.  Go and explain all the irregularities you've perceived to the manager, or better yet to the owner.  Whether or not you get satisfaction for it, they ought to know that their practices/policies are not being perceived well by their customers.  In the age of internet shopping and being able find how-to guides on absolutely anything, that's not helpful to their staying in business. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by Doug_Smith 2009-06-24 19:47:05)

Howdy DM,

Sounds like they did indeed try to pull on on ya there!  The good news is that you can file a complaint not only with the Manager of the store, and the Home office of the company they represent (If they are a chain), but here in the States we have those good old folks down at the local Better Business Bureau.  If they also happen to be members of the Independent Small Business Association, you can file a complaint with them as well.  I was a member of the ISBA, and one of the nice things about them is they assist disputes with Binding Arbitration.  You send your complaint to one of their Mediators, and they make a judgement based on fair and proper business practices.... veeerrry consumer oriented, and generally will follow up on complaints with speedy results and a class for the proprietor on Ethics!

Pitch a Bitch, and see what happens.  If they make it good with you, Right On!  If not, never darken their doorstep again and write a letter to the Editor of the local rag (newspaper) to warn off others.... if it's true you can't be sued for Libel!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Well, I called and spoke to the manager.

Basically, he said that they gave me a deal on the pup installation ($25.00) since I bought and paid for the installation the same day.
He said that I should have been told about the string installation charge but apologized for not having that done. (Made no offer of cost refunding...)

He also said that he will put on a new set of strings (10's)  free of charge when I come back in.

The store is Make N Music in Frederick, MD.  I'm beginning to get a strong feeling that this place is the "Car Dealership" of local guitar stores. And we all know how evil car dealerships are...

*grumble*
>=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

That's not the one I figured you were in. 

I'm glad they're at least willing to put some 10's on.  Darn right they should have told you about a restringing fee.  Any sort of service fee ought to include the cost for all the services related to it.  Something that requires removing the strings, such as installing a pickup, absolutely ought to include the cost of restringing and tuning.  Just like doing a set-up ought to include the price of a new set of strings.  Anyway, at least they're meeting you half-way and seem to have believed you on your claim to have left them a set of Ernie Ball 10s.  Sounds like it could have been an honest mistake. 

$25 for pickup installation is a very good price.  It cost me a fair bit more to have a Bartolini musicman installed in my Ovation Magnum.  Then again, he didn't charge me a separate restringing fee and I didn't buy the pickup from him.  Perhaps I got a discount on the restringing because the bass is a sensible instrument with only four strings to worry about.  smile

I know a fellow who sold a few instruments through Make 'n' Music on consignment and he says they treated him fairly, so they're not all bad. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Well, This is my first bad experience with them and I'm willing to go back there since they're attempting to meet me halfway.

But I've got my eye on them...

>=\
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

The thing I dont undestand is why you had to supply them with a brand new set of strings to begin with? if all they were doing was installing a pickup they could have used the old set to test to see if the pickup worked if you would have asked that question they might have had to come up with the restringing fee charge or at least informed you of the charge even if they were putting the old ones back smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

DM, I would still check them out with the BBB. If they are a member and have any complaints filed against them it will show up and it will also show if the complaints have been resolved. Just google the BBB in your area, type in the company name you have issues with along with their address and "poof" there it is. If you are not completely satisfied turn them in and maybe you'll be helping the next person who has to deal with that company.

Nela

10 (edited by Detman101 2009-06-25 11:28:23)

Russell_Harding wrote:

The thing I dont undestand is why you had to supply them with a brand new set of strings to begin with? if all they were doing was installing a pickup they could have used the old set to test to see if the pickup worked if you would have asked that question they might have had to come up with the restringing fee charge or at least informed you of the charge even if they were putting the old ones back smile

Russel, you're completely right. Every Pickup-changing tutorial I saw on the net last night showed that you didn't even have to take the strings off....just slack them and move them out of the way. Not ONE of the tutorials changed the strings!

Darn...I feel like a soldier complaining about being shot when he didn't wear his bulletproof vest.

These bums scammed me from the start. I almost want to take that pup out and check to make sure it's what I bought.

NELA, I'm going to see if there are any other complaints about them on the BBB website. Thank you.

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

DT I just changed pickups on my bass the rear pickup didn't work when I bought it but I only paid $50 for it and I knew I could fix it or replace the pickup fairly cheap I use a sidewinder and on a regular guitar it only takes less then 10 minutes to change a set of strings, on the bass I loosened them and just let them lay over the rear of the bass as I removed the pick guard and swapped the front to the back the actual time spent removing and reattaching was less then 10 minutes I dont see how they can justify the fee they charged for less then ten minutes of "labor" its not uncommon for any store to charge for something you cant do just like a auto repair or computer repair I was fortunate that I have had to do this on my own because of lack of funds so I learned how wiring works in a guitar its not that hard get a solder gun and there must be some online instructions or schematics for pickup wiring and the next time you can do it yourself or find a more trustworthy dealer smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

DT I just changed pickups on my bass the rear pickup didn't work when I bought it but I only paid $50 for it and I knew I could fix it or replace the pickup fairly cheap I use a sidewinder and on a regular guitar it only takes less then 10 minutes to change a set of strings, on the bass I loosened them and just let them lay over the rear of the bass as I removed the pick guard and swapped the front to the back the actual time spent removing and reattaching was less then 10 minutes I dont see how they can justify the fee they charged for less then ten minutes of "labor" its not uncommon for any store to charge for something you cant do just like a auto repair or computer repair I was fortunate that I have had to do this on my own because of lack of funds so I learned how wiring works in a guitar its not that hard get a solder gun and there must be some online instructions or schematics for pickup wiring and the next time you can do it yourself or find a more trustworthy dealer smile

Well Russell, I have no one to blame but myself for not doing the work myself. If I had just had a little free time I could have wired in the pickup myself. It comes with diagrams and besides, it would have been soldered in the same way the previous one was. I know how to solder very well and could have done it myself. I just didn't have enough free time to work on it without interruption from the family. It's been the same way with a lot of things lately. I used to change my own oil and do all my own maintenance on the car but since I got married and had a kid time just dropped to zero...

I guess that's growing up for ya...more like growing invalid. Now I have very little choice besides paying someone to do what I know I am capable of because I don't have time....

Youth is wasted on the young...

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Okay, got my axe back.
Took it in to that shop and they changed the strings in like 5 minutes...literally. Tuned it up and everything.

They now claimed that I did give them the strings from my guitar case and that they used them...but Ernie Ball's manufacturing process must have been off and the wrong gauge strings were packed into the package for the 10's.

YEAH RIGHT!!!

These guys wouldn't admit that they messed up even when the evidence was staring them in the face. I took the old strings and compared each one to the PROPER strings and sure enough, they were ALL THICKER!!

buncha feebs...

>=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

What kind of guitar tech doesn't immediately feel the difference between ultralights and lights?  I don't buy that Ernie Ball mixed them up excuse for a second.  Someone afraid to admit his own mistake (probably moreso to himself than to you) and making up excuses.  Not the first time in the history of the world something like that has happened. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

What kind of guitar tech doesn't immediately feel the difference between ultralights and lights?  I don't buy that Ernie Ball mixed them up excuse for a second.  Someone afraid to admit his own mistake (probably moreso to himself than to you) and making up excuses.  Not the first time in the history of the world something like that has happened. 

- Zurf

True, very true.
I'm willing to let it go.

I kick myself more for not doing the work myself. Could have avoided all this and gone to the movies too with the money I saved.

lol,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle