1 (edited by jjedju 2009-07-18 13:28:07)

Topic: Any Cuatro Players Out There?

Hello, a few weeks ago I was in a pawn shop in Clewiston, Florida, and saw an unusual instrument hanging on the back wall.  It had 10 strings.  I did some research on it and discovered it was a Cuatro.  I went back the next day and purchased it, he gave me what I think was a great deal.  One of the hard parts was changing the strings.  Since I had no experience at all with the Cuatro (I had never even heard of one before), putting the new strings on drove me crazy, all of the thinner strings were the same.  After I figured it out, it made perfect sense.  Now I am having a blast trying to play it.  It is like learning a different language, completely different chord fingerings from the guitar.  If anyone has any tips about playing please pass them along.

Keep A Song In Your Heart!
Joe

Re: Any Cuatro Players Out There?

Never seen or played one. What's the tuning ?

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Re: Any Cuatro Players Out There?

Isn't that one of those Puerto Rican/South American creations?

Seems I ran into an article about Cuatro Guitarras.... If I remember correctly, tuning is D G B E but with pairs of strings similar to our 12 string Guitar.  More like a Lute.

Seems interesting and worth a little research.  Keep us updated about your progress Jjedju, always curious about new things.
Welcome to your first posting by the way!  Nice hearing from you.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare