Topic: I'm back from Alaska

I'll put up a link to the pictures when I get them loaded.  The fishing was exceptional.  We had eight species over the course of the week, with the longest fish that we measured just a hair longer than 36".  We had other fish that we did not measure I am confident were larger.  Numbers were good too. 

Grayling
Rainbow trout
Dolly varden
Chum salmon
sockeye salmon
char (my fishing partner didn't land any char, but I did)
northern pike
pink salmon (I didn't land any pink salmon, but my fishing partner did)

I have no idea how many fish we landed.  In four hours on the first day, I landed 37 fish, but I lost count within minutes on the second day.  We decided to give up and just count the number of doubles (meaning both my partner and I had fish on at the same time), but we lost count of those too.  At several times during the week, we had two fish on one rod at the same time.  We never landed two on the same line, but we would have a fish on the main fly and on the dropper simultaneously.  One or the other of the fish always got slack in the line and was able to get off because we were using barbless hooks for easier releases and less stress on the fish. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I'm back from Alaska

Sounds like a fishing paradise. I bet the pics will be good.

welcome back.... Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Way to much catchin', not enough fishin' if ye ask me. How can you possibly drink beer when the fishing is that good? smile

Sounds great Zurf. Any bear sightings?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree with topdown.  All that fishing can slow down the beer drinking.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sounds like a great Trip Zurf, what part of Alaska were you in? My Mom 82yrs old travels to lots of places, "still in great health" she has said it is the most beautiful place she's ever been. I'm glad you had a great time, looking forward to the pictures!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

We were on the Nuyakak River in the Bristol Bay region (though not at all close to the coast - the lodge was based on a river that drains to Bristol Bay eventually).  The drinking during the fishing day was certainly limited with so many fish to catch, but would resume promptly upon our return to the lodge.  Each night there were appetizers and happy hour (providing our own booze) and lies told by the other fishermen who had been on different adventures that day.  I can drink beer anytime.  I cannot get 30+" salmon on back to back casts anytime (several times three casts in a row).  Suffice to say there was prodigious groggery when the fishing was done and the waders were drying by the fire.  We took a little beer with us on the river each day, but with the cold wind, the rain, and the vigorous exercise, we generally permitted discretion to be the better part of valor and saved the booze for the lodge (and the sauna - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh). 

We flew out on Dehaviland Beavers (the best adventure float plane ever built and ever likely to be built) all around the place, fishing many rivers and lakes over the course of the week. 

I'll post the pictures once I've downloaded them, sorted them, and put them into a slideshow/album on my photo site. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Once upon a time I got to make a fishing trip to Alaska, as well. In a few words - THE PLACE IS HUGE AND BEAUTIFUL. We flew into Anchorage, rented a 4 wheel drive van and drove to Homer. (drive was worth the trip) We fished for Halibut and Salmon. No Salmon but limits each day on the halibut (only up to 55 pounds). Where else in this world can you fish while in you are able to see live volcano's? This is an amazing place!!!!

Nela

Glad you had a good time Zurf. Can't wait for some big pictures of some big country!

Welcome back!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Welcome back Zurf. Sounds lke you had a great time. I look forward to seeing the pictures. I hope to make it there one day.

Some pictures are available in the "Alaskan Fishing Adventure 2009" album on my picture website www.picasaweb.google.com/halffastpaddler/.

- Zurf

Just seen the photies!

cool As Mustard!

The colour on that sockeye is incredible!!! Bear and Eagles, too!!!

cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Great Photos Zurf! I spent several months on Barenoff Island (Sitka,Hoonah) and some time in Juneau the land and the beauty of it were as I rememberd smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Man that's sounds and looks fabulous!! I'm envious smile Always wanted to go to Alaska but haven't been able to do it yet. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Great pictures Zurf, Thanks so much for sharing I'm sure lots of us wished we had been with you.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Brother Zurf, the bears didn't get ya after all!

Really pleased you had such a memorable excursion, beautiful country for sure and  great fishin' to boot.
Always good to be home though...

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare