Topic: acoustic lead lessons

I need to learn to play acoustic lead, with an leaning towards blues. There are many lessons available on the internet, have any Chordie members tried these and got good results /...and considered them to be good value for money ?

Re: acoustic lead lessons

i have tried jamplay and thought it was quite good and supportive.
So it cost a wee bit of money but I dont think it is over priced ( and I am scottish and known as being a tight fisted bllleeeeeeppp)
Some might think here I am saying this because jamplay sponsors chordie but I say it how I see it and I like it
Not only has it blues but also many differnt types of music.

Not too sure but I think there is a sample of it on jamplay. If not then I wouldnt pay up first, I would like a demo of what I was paying for

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Mike
I bought a Boss RC-2 loop pedal and have found it has helped my lead playing immensely.  I can record a 12 bar blues basic pattern and then play on top of that.  When I get bored I can put down a 3 or 4 chord pattern and then play on top of that.  It was $155 on ebay but you can do even better these days.
Good luck
Steve

hi mikeshead.

check out the "rockongoodpeople" channel on youtube. The videos are free and are from bunch of instructors that gathered together to create the "NextLevelGuitar" website (you have to pay for the website membership though).

The best lessons for your style are the ones from Marty Shwartz. He's the guy who wears a fedora sometimes. He mainly gives instruction in R&B/Blues/Jazz type music. He explains things quite well also.

Also check out www.justinguitar.com for his lessons on blues and jazz styles.

Many thanks for you suggestions guys.
Im gorna try the u tube free stuff first and see how that goes.
Like a lot of people Iv learned to play chords without instruction quite well but I dont understand the first thing about lead playing. From what I can gather I need to start with the scales first, hopefully once Iv mastered that I can move on to more formal tuition.

how did u guys pick up lead playing ?

mikeshead wrote:

Many thanks for you suggestions guys.
Im gorna try the u tube free stuff first and see how that goes.
Like a lot of people Iv learned to play chords without instruction quite well but I dont understand the first thing about lead playing. From what I can gather I need to start with the scales first, hopefully once Iv mastered that I can move on to more formal tuition.

how did u guys pick up lead playing ?

Mike
Didn't quite pick it up just yet, but getting much better.  A friend showed me major and minor pentatonic scales...a good thing to learn.  But how to use them?  You take some song in any key and if its a sad song, likely will be in a minor key and a minor pentatonic scale (in the same key) will accompany nicely.  Rather than duplicate a lead on a complicated song like Freebird, just pick some blues song.  When the song is playing you can just noodle along in the same key.  Occasionally your wanting to hit a note that is the same note you are accompanying.   See if that helps.  And let us know how its going.  We're all learning here.
Steve