Topic: Squeezing Chords

Hello Everyone,

I've been learning to play the guitar over the last 1.5 years and although my playing ability has progressed, I am unable to hold chords for too long, since the base of my left hand thumb gets too sore and I can squeeze any more chords unless I give it a rest.

I've been told that this should go away after awhile, but I'm still struggling with it.

Is it because I don't play enough, or am I hold the left hand thumb incorrectly?

In pain.....WD

Re: Squeezing Chords

Are you trying to squeeze them too hard? Eapecially if it's electric, it doesn't take much to get a clear sound. try backing off a bit and applying just enough pressure.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Geoaguiar,

Thanks for the tips. But a little while ago I raised my bridge up on my Gibson, since when I played notes on the heavy strings, the string would vibrate farther down the fretboard. I think it may be that I'm plucking too hard, so I figured that in order to get around this, I raised my bridge. But probably now, the strings are too high and thus requires more pressure to hold down the barre chords.

...WD

walterdziuba wrote:

Geoaguiar,

Thanks for the tips. But a little while ago I raised my bridge up on my Gibson, since when I played notes on the heavy strings, the string would vibrate farther down the fretboard. I think it may be that I'm plucking too hard, so I figured that in order to get around this, I raised my bridge. But probably now, the strings are too high and thus requires more pressure to hold down the barre chords.

...WD

Yup. I have an acoustic with high action and that hurts after a bit. Also a neck that's too "thick" will do that. Try playing something different like a Telecaster and see if it's more comfortable. A well set up Tele is about as easy a player as there is.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Indeed have a competent luthier set your action as low as possible.
When I played 4-6 hours a night, six nights a week, I learned alternate fingerings to relieve tired, cramping muscles when a break was not possible. Instead of a six string barre with the pointer finger, learn to wrap you thumb around the top of the neck to hold down the #6 string requiring your pointer finger to hold down only #1 and #2 for a barre F F# G etc...

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

walterd
You might try seeing if you can loosen your grip on the chords just after strumming to give your fret hand a rest all the in between time possible.  Does that make sense.  I know when I was starting out I was bad about holding on too tight in a deathgrip.  Loosening grip also allows quicker chord changes.  And welcome to Chordie!
Steve

walterdziuba, unfortunately this is part of the chord playing process where the palm muscle at the base of your thumb is getting an "unusual" workout. play-rest-play-rest until over time it goes away. unfortunately also i find when i've not played for awhile that nagging pain returns, especially if playing a gig. the more you play on your flatop the easier it is on the electric. i try to play both for just that reason. keep at it-goodluck!

Our intuitions serve us well

Thanks Guys,

I've seen pictures of the thumb being used for six string barre chords, but never tried that approach.
I'm back after being out of town, so I shall try your ideas.

Thanks much.....Walt

I know this post was from a while ago, but it might help someone.

Thanks to a few kicks in the hands and some brooken bones in the thumb from playing football as a younger man, my left thumb gets sore very quickly with barre chords (I also squeeze too tight but just can't seem to relax and use less pressure as everyone recommends).

But I get over this by letting the thumb relax through slipping back down the neck into non-barre chords (especially the G and C) when I can. This sometimes adds a bit of uneven tone to things, but at least it gives the left hand a break for a while.

Now, if I could just do something about my strumming....

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Indeed have a competent luthier set your action as low as possible.
When I played 4-6 hours a night, six nights a week, I learned alternate fingerings to relieve tired, cramping muscles when a break was not possible. Instead of a six string barre with the pointer finger, learn to wrap you thumb around the top of the neck to hold down the #6 string requiring your pointer finger to hold down only #1 and #2 for a barre F F# G etc...

I had the same problem for years.
I just recently learned the "Hendrix-grip" as described above.
It has allowed me to play for hours on end without any thumb-muscle pain.
It also allows for more harmony and embellishments while playing the chords.

You should look into it. It truly changes the ease of playing guitar.
Strangely enough, the guitar community looks at the "Hendrix-Grip" as the style of someone who isn't trained. (rolleyes)
Of course, they wouldn't give credit where credit is due. Hendrix really did make the world of Guitar easier, better and just more awesome. Yet, in every fashion, they refuse to give credit.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

And there's my answer to another question on the forum re: Hendrix Grip ... thanks DM!

Personally... I have double jointed thumbs... but to the point that they are WEAK double joints (go figure, the thumb on my fretting hand is worse than the one on my strumming hand).  I played the clarinet for a few years as a child and gave it up because the weight of the clarinet resting on my thumb (again, my "bad" thumb) was painful as my thumb would slip out of joint while the clarinet was resting on it.  Ouch. 

I find that my Classical style guitar fits well in my hands and if I try to place my thumb where it "should" be... it pops out and is very uncomfortable causing pain if I push it too much.  Conversely, the neck on my husband's electric is too thin and it doesn't seem to matter how I hold on to it or where I put my thumb, it just hurts (of course, this could have to do with the weight of it too?).  I assume everyone is different with how/where they can hold the guitar to ease the strain placed on their hands.  I also have the beginnings of carpel tunnel and was concerned... but guitar playing doesn't affect me at all (knock on wood)... where typing really does a number on me if I do too much.

sooooo.... try holding on to the neck differently... try it "wrong" ... try that Hendrix grip... and try taking a break with some "easier" chords when it starts to hurt!  smile  Maybe take a trip to the guitar store and try out a few different neck styles and see if there's one that fits in your hands better... you've been at it for over a year, maybe it's time for a New Guitar Day!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.