Topic: FBI raids Gibson today for illegally imported tone woods!!

Just caught this on another forum and wanted to share it...

Breaking News!

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=11523068

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/nash...d_by_fbi_f.php

This is still breaking... I can't wait to hear exactly what they had and how much! I'm assuming it's madagascar rosewood... This really surprised me coming from Gibson... Wonder if it will have any affect on their sales?

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: FBI raids Gibson today for illegally imported tone woods!!

Interesting story Guitarpix, I'll be waiting to hear more from them. I'm surprised to hear this as well. I know certain woods are hard to come by now but you'd think Gibson would have had some stashed back, which I'm sure they did"at least certain woods" . this is kinda like what would you do if you saw an endangered animal, eating an endangered plant, what would you do, let the animal eat to save himself, or kill the animal to save the plant. I'm for good wood, but against harvesting when it's illegall, it's a real knundrum. But I guess I'd have to save the trees. Just my opinion.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

You know I would be really surprised if it turns out to be true that they willfully purchased banned woods.  But even though you go through all the proper records keeping etc. it only takes one weak link in the chain of supply to get you in trouble.  The stocking of woods that have been put on the list since they were purchased is more likely.  I have a friend that has a fair stock of Brazilian Rosewood that he bought like 30 years ago.... and has the receipts to prove it!  There is nothing illegal about having it if it was legal to harvest at the time of purchase.... but no new logging is allowed!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Mabe they were not really aware that the wood was not legal,it did state they got it from a distributer.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice catch wood police. Now go and nab more of those sick freaks who do horrible things to innocent children................

Give everything but up.

I'm with Southpaw on this one. I understand that Taylor resupplies thier woods and only harvests dead fallen trees. I seems that Gibson would do the same. It's good to do this but i think the law enforcment has bigger things to worry with.

I'd agree to a point....There are worse things happening in the world but I think the environment is important too! With out it there is no world! We're talking about the rain forest which could hold undiscovered cures for disease, endangered species, and some forms of plants and animals that haven't even been discovered yet. If a government is going to make a law protecting it then it should be inforced...IMO. The Idea is that if no one will use it, they can't sale it and won't harvest it... Do we need fewer laws in general and to enforce those more regularly??? Probably, but those are other issues....
  I don't know if Gibson knowingly bought the illegal wood or not, but I would think a major company ,that is concerned about the environment, would check before buying a bulk of illegal of endangered wood... They got it through a German supplier and the president of Madagascar signed a bill for it to be allowed out of the country but that doesn't make it legal to import into the US or right to harvest it at all. It was strictly a financial decision for them (Mada) and not an environmental one...BTW, it was the department of Fish & Wildlife ,not the FBI, that raided them and seized the material.
  As I think about it though, Martin, Taylor, Godin, Larrivee, and other major manufactures offer smart wood guitars made with renewable timber and ,as far as I'm aware, Gibson has yet to offer any comparable models... If anyone can correct me on this, please do so. I read articles all the time about companies trying to protect the environment but I don't think I've ever seen Gibson's name mentioned among them... Although the CEO does sit on the rainforest board.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Gibson Guitar Corp. Press Statement:

Today Gibson Guitar is fully cooperating with agents of the United States Fish & Wildlife Service as it pertains to an issue with harvested wood. As an FSC chain of custody certified buyer Gibson purchases wood from FSC certified and non certified suppliers ensuring that all certified products meet FSC requirements. Gibson Guitar Chairman and CEO sits on the board of the Rainforest Alliance and takes the issue of certification very seriously. Gibson Guitar makes every effort to ensure that all its wood purchases are legal and environmentally responsible. The company will continue to cooperate fully and assist our federal government with all inquiries and information.

"fully cooperating" most likey because they got busted no sense in defusing a bomb after it has exploded, I suppose we should give them the benifit of doubt its not unusual for the top people to not know what the bottom half is doing something like "plausable ignorance" smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The real question is "Would you buy a Gibson knowing they might possibly be doing this"?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Yes there are many trees but few are chosen for Gibson,I am not an endangered animal or plant person and to old to worry about the ozone layer or rouge comets smashing the earth to little pieces or lizards dying on some remote island the earth will replenish itself man may not be around to appreciate it tho smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Got wood?

Say it ain't true. Good company - wrong leadership - see's dollar signs - makes bad decision - reputation ruined. Just don't make good business sense. And with the smart people running the investagation you can bet money that if they can prove the trees were illegally hasrvested, all the wood will be destroyed. What a shame.

Nela

I choose to wait until the investigation has concluded.  My sister-in-law is a Federal law enforcement officer.  I am well aware that raids are conducted on SUSPICION of illegality so that evidence can be collected and investigated without tipping off the company and giving them an opportunity to tamper with the records.  A raid is not equal to guilt.  A raid is equal to suspicion.  Not all suspicions prove out as expected.  There is every possibility that Gibson does have adequate records proving a legal market chain of custody of their wood stocks.  There is the possibility they don't.  I choose to wait and see. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude