Topic: Pretty guitars

Hello All!!!!

How come all acoustic guitars look the same? They do look pretty and I can appreciate the "art" side of them. But....pearl or abalone inlays, bindings and rosettes, they are all pretty much the same. I want to see some brushed aluminum or stainless steel inlays. That would be awesome.
Color wise I'm bored with black, natural and wood tones. I like the reds, blues and other colors I've seen.

Anyway just something I tought about.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Pretty guitars

I always loved this rosette on my Takamine EGSF15SC...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2253/1794003156_e41b5c6054.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi zguitar,I belive that if you put to much stuff on an acoustic guitar it will take away alot of the tone of your guitar and pretty much ruin the sound of it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

4 (edited by dfoskey 2009-11-23 12:09:43)

I like the bare look of an acoustic but i do have an older cheap guitar that i took liberties with and added my own art work. I painted outlines of wingflames surrounding the outer edges of the top and it looks pretty good. I will try and post pics of it one day when i can I'm usually at work when i'm on here. You don't have to settle for ordinary but i would'nt mess up a high quality guitar with too much art or decoration.

I guess that's what I'm thinkin is less is more. wood by itself can be awesome looking. Some rosettes get too busy, pearl inlays have veins and what not in them. My guitar is black, (not my favorite color) has dots layed in the finger board, and just a few rings around the soundhole. Quite simple really.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all "Playable art". That's what I call it. And it's true.

As an example check out the Takamine G406S w/ the delicious 3-piece back.

Anyone who has ever taken a shop class knows how hard it is to build something. With this in mind it makes me cringe to think of anyone smashing a guitar for any reason, save maybe self defense.

I would rather have a ugly guitar that is a good player over a pretty one with a ordinary sound.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

8 (edited by jerome.oneil 2009-12-02 01:30:42)

They all look the same 'cause you aren't paying attention!  The devil (or in this case, the beauty,) is in the details.

Or sometimes, it's right out in front where it belongs.

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/images-large/archtop_blnd_sm.jpg

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/images/user/breedlove1.jpg

http://www.babiczsignature.com/photos/koa-custom.jpg

But the reality is that the beauty of a guitar is in the fine detailing on the fretboard, and the kerfing on the body, IMO.  That's where the art of the luthier really shines.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Those are really some beautifull guitars in the picture you posted jerome.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

naolslager wrote:

It's all "Playable art". That's what I call it. And it's true.

As an example check out the Takamine G406S w/ the delicious 3-piece back.

Anyone who has ever taken a shop class knows how hard it is to build something. With this in mind it makes me cringe to think of anyone smashing a guitar for any reason, save maybe self defense.

I remember seeing Garth Brooks and Companion smash a couple of Takamine Guitars during a televised concert...I immediately lost respect for him as a musician...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Jay I agree,
but I would only give 2 strikes and your out smile

First offense for destroying a guitar  5 yrs in the hole . 2nd  offense hung by the neck until dead  wink

Later, Wayne P

Our ancestors lavished decoration on their instruments; pick up any book on the history of the guitar and you'll see all sorts of things that have been tried over the many years of development.
However, there's a very strong "traditional" element amongst musicians...I remember reading about the furor created when the first picker showed up at the Grand Old Opry with an electric....
Not to mention Bob Dylan...

I would imagine the single most popular type of acoustic sold is a very standard dreadnaught steel string with very little in the way of ornamentation.

There's a certain amount of function too; a lot of weird shaping and such can make the instrument difficult to build and possibly affect tone.

dino48 wrote:

I lust after that Santa Cruz arch top in the 1st pic.  Arch top guitars make me all sweaty...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
dino48 wrote:

I lust after that Santa Cruz arch top in the 1st pic.  Arch top guitars make me all sweaty...

If it lasts more than 4 hrs., consult your doctor lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]