Topic: new song from russ and phill

if you'd all like to pop onto my-space [click the button to the left] and give a little listen to a song russ and i have been working on for a week or so. it's called "can't you sleep"
we'd like to hear what you think.

ta

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by KAP54 2009-12-03 23:02:46)

Re: new song from russ and phill

Hi Phill big_smile

Just had a listen to your latest composition/collaboration and I gotta give you another two thumbs up in writing, composing and of course your choice of collaborators. big_smile
This piece has an epic feel to it with some really nice build ups drawing me into what I would hear next.  Russ's choice of guitar tone I thought fit perfectly along with his playing.
If I had a complaint (and it's me, me thinks) I would love to see the lyrics as I just listened to it and for the life of me I can't remember one line. lol I also have to check my computer levels cause the base tones (I think) came across really strong, which explains a lot about my set up.
All in all...Kudos to both you and Russ and the "POWER OF CHORDIE"
cause we wouldn't hear this if it wasn't for Chordie.

Right Arm Lads

Kenny

Hey Phill...I just dropped back for another listen and it won't play along with your other songs. sad I hope it's short term.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Phil and Russ!  I LOVE the words to this song.  It's very ... natural - man and woman!  I like it.  Agree with Kenny... very epic feel.  I would love to see chords and lyrics with just an acoustic (so I can play it!  I could hear a man or woman singing this one). 

I too agree with Kenny in the complaint department... I'm getting a lot of highs and lows and not so much mid range.  Again... just listening on a computer however with junky speakers built into the monitor so I don't get a lot of good sound anyway.  I'd love to hear this LIVE in CONCERT... sounds like it'd be AWESOME!  Lots of feeling in your singing... btw... I've had a listen to your songs before, you've got a great voice!

Thanks for sharing!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

As always, your wish is my command.
My thanks for your comments, it is about adult love as opposed to teenage lust, further than that I will not go!
Russ has done an excellent job with his guitar and bass work. I had envisioned it as a Westlife tune till I heard what he'd done; all soft and boy-band till Russ put his heavy rock stamp on it.
I'm most happy with the chorus, I write the songs as they come to me, so what you hear is what I heard.
You'll have to speak to Russ about the mixing, as my part was the basic tracks [piano, drums and vocal] the rest was Russ's.

Can't You Sleep?Undefined

Are you [E] awake? [Abaug] I hear you [Dbm] whisper in the [A] darkness.

I'm [E] awake, and I [F#m] hear you [Dbm] breathe my [B] name.

I feel your [E] lips – [Abaug] as they [Dbm] brush against my [A] shoulder.

I [E] turn to [F#m] meet them – [Dbm] softly with [B] mine.

And so we [E] kiss, [Abaug] very [Dbm] slowly – and so [A] tender.

Eyes [E] are closed [F#m] as our [Dbm] body's [B] entwine.

I'm [E] awake, [Abaug] I couldn't [Dbm] sleep while you were [A] stirring.

Touching [E] me [F#m] every [Dbm] time you turned [B] around.

(Chorus).

See the [Dbm] dawn light the [A] room-through the [E] side of the [B] curtains.

Feel your [A] eyes start to [E] tire; now we [B] sleep.

Then the [Dbm] sound of the [A] street; playing [E] children, talking [B] neighbours.

You look at [A] me watching [E] you, then we [B] smile.

(SOLO OVER VERSE CHORDS)>

REP CHORUS THEN ADD BELOW

||[Dbm] Lay here in [A] peace let the [D] world pass [A] unnoticed.

[A] Take what we [E] need; [B] secretly.||

Can't you [E] sleep? [Abaug] I haven't [Dbm] slept my-self for [A] hours.

Watching [E] you-in the [F#m] dark-watching [B] me.

(CHORUS x 2)

Can't you sleep?

Words and music by Phill Williams and Russel Harding 28th October 2009

VERY nice Phill!  The words are much as I heard them... reminds me of well... an early morning husband/wife waking up in love together!  Perfect!  Only problem... I don't know those chords!  LOL!  Yet... I think I'll print it and put it in the back of my folder for when I'm ready!  Thanks again!

Sure its my fault you listen with crappy speakers lol it sounded right in my headphones when I mixed it and when I play it back on my surround sound hookup to my PC  which cost a whopping $49.95 at Walmart but that aside Phill did a wonderful job with the composistion I have been a fan of his music for some time and I did give him the option of keeping what I gave him or the limp elevator version better known as the pussy mix lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

7 (edited by mekidsmom 2009-12-04 17:21:55)

LMAO Russell!  It's not your fault... Kenny and I both admittedly have crappy speakers!  I think the best set of headphones I have sitting around here are from my 4 year old's fisher price MP3 player too!  LOL!  But this $49.95 surround sound hookup you talk about... now THAT sounds GOOD!  I think I have a few ideas about what I'll be asking Santa for this year (since he's getting a new electric)!

hi phill russ thats a number one special,lovely sound great song ,a brilliant duo compo.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Russ, you have such a lovely turn of fraze " the pussy mix?"

I'm still chuckling at that one.:lol:

Hi Mekidsmom,

Yes it is exactly that, husband/wife together, but not waking-up, they couldnt get to sleep....know what I mean? wink

Thanks Daddy. I honestly believe that if the right band/person recorded this it would be a big hit! Where's Simon Cowel when you want him? cool

PS, does LMAO mean Leave My A*** Outofit? [UK spelling]

love Phill XXX

Phill Williams wrote:

Russ, you have such a lovely turn of fraze " the pussy mix?"

I'm still chuckling at that one.:lol:

Hi Mekidsmom,

Yes it is exactly that, husband/wife together, but not waking-up, they couldnt get to sleep....know what I mean? wink

Thanks Daddy. I honestly believe that if the right band/person recorded this it would be a big hit! Where's Simon Cowel when you want him? cool

PS, does LMAO mean Leave My A*** Outofit? [UK spelling]

love Phill XXX

Couldn't get to sleep... gotcha... I was thinking the same thing, but more so upon waking... but either way works for me!  Honestly, I think this song could indeed be a hit.  It would have the ladies swooning for lovin! 

I was laughing too Phill!

LMAO == Laughing my a** off  - it does indeed change the meaning!  Hope you understood Russell!

And then there's... ROTF == rolling on the floor

and put them together and I am ROTFLMAO at the "pussy mix" ... although, I do still think that version would get the girls a bit more giddy!  Ahhh... and that's why you called it the....

Ok, I've had enough computer for today... I need to have a drink!  TGIF!

11 (edited by Phill Williams 2009-12-04 19:46:47)

AHHH! I know that one "thank God it's Friday"....and I leave for Spain on Sunday...ah, life is good!

Booohooo, i wonder why i cant listen to or even see it on your programme ?

Ill check again later.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

13 (edited by arkady 2009-12-05 11:57:04)

Nice one gentlemen.
Great composition and and structure to the song Phill and Russ's added guitar skills gave the piece added interest.
I listened through headphones levels sound ok but Myspace or my broadband connection give rubbish playback with some distortion any chance of the original MP3 so I can have a listen out of cyberland?
Not sure if the mix was a cat in a floppy lift (UK terminology) smile
Just a thought give it a go in Ourstage charts next month (though I guess Russ might not approve)
ark

Not sure if the mix was a cat in a floppy lift (UK terminology)

Whoa... now THAT one has me befuddled!  I love some of the terms those of you from the UK use (which we don't here in the US)... but this one I can't get a grip on.  What is a cat in a floppy lift???

Old Doll... you've had some interesting computer issues not being able to print out songs, can't see his song on myspace... hmmm... I'm thinking you need an upgrade or serious virus sweep or something.  Have you some friends nearby that you can have come and take a look at that machine for you?

Ark thanks I dont know about the myspace connection it sound ok to me the guitar sound is intentional and only occurs on the chorus as far as ourstage is concerned I think its a waste of time and your talent but thats your choice I had a bad experience with them but you know how I am lol good luck with it smile

arkady wrote:

Nice one gentlemen.
Great composition and and structure to the song Phill and Russ's added guitar skills gave the piece added interest.
I listened through headphones levels sound ok but Myspace or my broadband connection give rubbish playback with some distortion any chance of the original MP3 so I can have a listen out of cyberland?
Not sure if the mix was a cat in a floppy lift (UK terminology) smile
Just a thought give it a go in Ourstage charts next month (though I guess Russ might not approve)
ark

Nice Job Fellas !

I'm with Russ no room for no pussy mix around here.

Sex , Drugs & Rock and Roll !!!!

Oops I guess that was 30 yrs ago , but still that don't mean we need any         "Pussy Mix"  smile   smile

Russ , when I get back home I will give my opinion of your sound mix, I just have my laptop with me.

Later, Wayne P

thanks Wayne for your comments and long live rock and roll sex and prescriptions lol

Hi Russ and Phil,

loved this! I'm not getting into any old chat about mixes and sounds - my hearing is sparse at the best of times. See the poem post.

Also talking about Sex and drugs and Rock and Roll - apparently there's a movie about Ian Dury ( and the Blockheads) coming out in January. It is supposed to be excellent with a real seventies feel.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

StranSongs on behalf of Phill and myself thanks for the nice comment and I will keep an eye out for the movie on Ian Dury happy holidays smile

StranSongs wrote:

Hi Russ and Phil,

loved this! I'm not getting into any old chat about mixes and sounds - my hearing is sparse at the best of times. See the poem post.

Also talking about Sex and drugs and Rock and Roll - apparently there's a movie about Ian Dury ( and the Blockheads) coming out in January. It is supposed to be excellent with a real seventies feel.

Hi Phil and Russell,

Love the lyrics Phil, i would love to hear Hill / Mcgraw sing this song,  [ nothing wrong with your voice now, don't get all meowie now lol ] its there kind of duet song.

Guitar wise Hmmm lol Russell never a problem to you.

Sound wise on my pc it had a tinny sound or to much reverb !!

Just my humble opinion sirs.

Old Doll.

Thanks my lady glad you enjoyed,it seems everyone dose not hear it the same way I think the speakers have a lot to do with that and who knows maybe Hill Mcgraw will hear it some day Phill did a great job on the lyrics and arrangment smile

Russell,

I listened on both my computers with my headphones on and it is not tinny, one computer the bass is a little heavy the first minute in and the other one is about right.
Very nice guitar work here Russ, I am impressed , just a darned good job on the mix smile

It seems the bass being  transfered and converted through cyber space is a weird recurring thing. I know just having recordings from audacity to my media player is a different sound.

Anyway Nice One Russ !

Later, Wayne P

Thanks to all for your kind words.
I've been away from my "puter" for a couple of weeks, so I'm catching up.

Big thanks to Lena, I dont know of Hill/ Mcgraw, but if you recommend them, then they must be good!
Fact is; I love hearing other people sing my songs, so if they get round to it, send me a recording, make my day!

As for "sex, drugs and rock and roll" I've never messed with the middle one, but I'm well acquainted with the other two!

Glad you enjoyed it, let's hope Russ and I can work on more projects.

Phill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohC7o_PPPtY

Here ya go Phil  enjoy.

hi lena,

yep i enjoyed. what a lovely sound they make together. i shall be looking out for their CD's next time i'm in HMV, [or drop the hint to my kids ...it's chrismas!]

if i dont get the chance later...i wish you well and have a great chrismas and new year.

phill