Topic: 12 string guitar

I just got a 12 string gitar dont know anything about them I know how to play a 6 string guitar but ot a 12 string is there much difference other them the strings like cords

Re: 12 string guitar

Main difference is you have two strings to press and double tuning.

hi sammy01,

i once heard that 12 string tuning was done one full tone down; eg the E strings would be tuned to D, the B strings to A, G to F, D to C, A to G. this would have the effect of reducing the strain on the neck, and you must remember that if you play an E chord, your actually playing D!

i don't personally detune, but if it helps...
phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Sammy , and welcome to Chordie ...
   I play a twelve sometimes and as with the twelvers I've had in the past , I don't detune them ... As Phil said , some people do detune them if they're old so as to lessen the tension on the neck and soundboard ... If they detune one full tone , then they just capo at the second fret and use the same chords as if it were tuned to concert pitch ...
                                                                                Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Time for the old 12-string joke...."You spend half your time tuning, and the other half playing out of tune..."

Properly-built 12-strings don't need to be de-tuned; as the guys note it's to reduce string tension on the neck.   
I really do like the sound a good 12 produces; sort of instant orchestration.  Some guys get into all sorts of weird tunings with the things, and some even ignore the idea of playing each pair of strings as if it were one...They play all the strings individually! 

Listen to some Leo Kottke to see what the instrument is capable of.

Hi sammy01 I had two twelve strings, it is kind of a love /hate thing,they sound great but keeping them in tune is a pain. If you keep it ,I was told to tune from the twelveth fret,it has been so long I have forgot now so check it out at a local guitar store. They have a great sound you can do some lead zep and america songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yes Best to detune one whole tone and capo at 2nd fret, better still buy an electric 12 string dont have the stress problem as much no real need to detune and plugged in they can be acoustic or electric you get the best of both worlds
good luck

In the words of Keith Richard: "Stuff Happens people"
:cool
(Edited to remove profanity. -Pix)

tune with an electronic tuner and you will be fine.  I have a Seagull and she usually stays in tune

I posted a similar question in the Acoustic forum and got some interesting (if not conflicting) answers.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14800

My D12X1 is a low end Martin, but I love it.  It sounds like an orchestra.  And no problems keeping it in tune.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Regarding being hard to keep in tune, and having to tune down to avoid warping: I think the key is to avoid cheap ones

My Ovation 12-string is 31 years old, it even has a slight crack near the headstock but is tuned to concert pitch. It stays perfectly in tune, probably due to the construction technique (makes for a heavy guitar though) It does help to have an electronic tuner. Look out for the Pacemaker, model 1615 or 1115, they are often available for good prices on the usual online places (though very expensive new)

12 strings really are special.. a good one sounds like heaven on earth.  The high E and B strings are tuned in unison and the rest are tuned in octaves.  I saw a guy in Tombstone AZ who played an 18 stringed guitar.  This thing sounded like an entire band.  I don't know if the triplets were tuned in chords or unison but the sound of it was stunning.

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

I saw a guy in Tombstone AZ who played an 18 stringed guitar.

Is this him?
http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/2008/12 … ng-guitar/

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I've owned two 12-strings over the years. My Guild sounded marvelous and stayed in tune but due to a shoulder problem the jumbo body was painful to play.  I later bought a Fender with a smaller body but it didn't stay in tune and was a pain to play, only in a different area of my anatomy.

For the last few years I've had a small-bodied guitar that I "Nashville high-tune".  It's a six string guitar but the strings are the "octave" or "high" strings from a 12 string.  When played along with another picker on a standard-tuned guitar, the two guitars together sound similar to a 12-string.  When played by itself it kinda sounds like a mandolin but still different.  I often take it to the campfire picking sessions Zurf talks about. It provides a different sound to blend in with the group. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

14 (edited by riamac 2011-05-28 00:50:03)

Interesting thing here. I guess that it is still the same, but you have to play with guitar on that conditions of having 2 instruments at the same time. It can be very much hard to do, but on the long run, it would have been good or great in order to really get things work out.

I love my old (1985 model) Ibanez 12 stringer. Stays in tune pretty well, just a tweak here and there before playing, no big deal. The tip here is to use the best strings you can afford. Elixers are my all time favourite.
I standard tune it these days although have tried different tunings in the past whenever I changed strings.
12'ers are a great guitar if you like doing ballads eg: John Denver, Smokie etc. Also, if your fingers are sore from playing a 6 string, the 12 string allows some relief on the finger tips and you can play on I find.
Just my thoughts.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Used to own a Mossrite solid body twin neck guitar. Six string over and twelve string under. A fine guitar even if it did weigh 40 pounds. It fretted easy.
Some clown came in my house and stole it. I hope his shoulder ached worse than mine did with all that weight.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

What the hell? Who would steal a guitar? I mean, whoever it was could have taken a laptop or something.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool