Topic: The Business of Music

I am in the process of opening a rehearsal/recording studio here in beatiful downtown Cornwall Ont. Canada. The emphasis will be on a safe, hassle free, and quiet place to rehearse, with recording facilities.No pressure for the amature and able to accomadate the semi-pro. Equipment rentals and consignment, concert promotions, a stable of acts, including my own band, CHAMPAGNE WHISKEY, lessons and repairs will all be part of the mix.Any suggetions on marketing, soundproofing, set-up arrangments, etc. I figure that this is a great source to get a wide range of ideas from a wide range of artist and experienced music people. Every chance a person recieves to obtain a respected opinion is another opportunity to succeed.

thanks

STEVE (JV)

Re: The Business of Music

Hello again Steve and congratulations on the recording studio!  Great idea - wish there was something like that here in my hometown (Starkville, Mississippi). 

Regarding soundproofing - I have no practical suggestions, but I do have an anecdote:  A friend of mine is a high-energy acoustics engineer (he specializes in the properties and uses of sound frequencies way way way above audible range - very amazing stuff).

At his research facility there is an anechoic chamber (a super sound-absorbant & soundproofed room) that they use for various experiments.  All surfaces of the chamber are covered in the sound absorbing/proofing materials.  The floor that you walk on is wire mesh suspended above the proofing materials on the floor.

Once you are in the chamber and the access door is closed, it is the creepiest thing in the world.  There is absolutely no resonence - no ambient sound - no 'sonic presence' in the space.  Even your own voice sounds completely different in there - it is as if your ears and brain have been rewired.  It was an eerie and memorable experience just to spend a few minutes alone in that chamber . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Yea I'll bet it was. I was in the same kind of thing working in the oil industry in western Canada (Alberta) Makes you kind of feel hollow doesn't it! Question James. Isn't there a Johnny Cash song about or that mentions the Starkville Jail and something about pickin' flowers????

STEVE B.

Yes!  "Starkville City Jail" is about when Mr. Cash spent a night in out local slammer for public drunkeness, disturbing the peace, and general misbehavior in the wee hours of the morning.

Of course, this was back in his hell-raising years (long before he became the stoic elder statesman and icon of grizzled wisdom).  Apparently, he was passed out drunk in the front-yard flower bed of a stately home occupied by a respectable member of the community.

They found it somewhat disturbing to have a drunken stranger in their yard and called the cops - hence the song.  There is also an Indigo Girls song that mentions our quaint little community, but I can't recall the title.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

The youngins will probably disagree but for the best sound you should use tube amps and record analauge (that has to be mispelled) and then at the very end durring the mix down transfer to digital. You'll get the kind of sound that straight cold steril(Man I can't spell) digital just cant provide. And be very carefull that your sound proofing just holds the sound in without deadening it.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm