Topic: The Good Men Of God.

this isnt in praise of any deity, far from it, i was thinking about our servicemen out in afganistan, and how the families are feeling knowing that there's a big operation going on. this is a tribute to our boys and their families waiting.

The Good Men Of God?Phill Williams.

[Am] In the [G] dark she cries alone [C] .-

[Am] Dreams of the [F] nights she [G] hopes will [C] come.

[Am] Out in the [F] fields, he may [G] die [C] alone.

[Am] How then she [F] prays, he [G] soon will come [C] home.

(CHORUS).

How goes the [Am] war?

[F] There's blood on the [C] streets.-[Am]

Tears on the[F]pillows.

[Dm]-[G] Tears on the [C] sheets.

[Am] In the morning the [F] dance.

[G] And the sadness [C] within his smile.

[Am] “I'll be back soon you'll [F] see.�

[G] Dreams that never will [C] be.

[Am] In the [G] dark she [C] cries alone.

[Am] Pictures in [F] papers, [G] words on the [C] `phone.

[Am] Ready to [F] die and [G] so much to [C] live for.

[Am] Blood on the [F] hands. [G] Of the good men of [C] God.

(REPEAT CHORUS).

[Am] In the dark she [G] cries [C] alone.

[Am] A flag on the [F] box, how the [G] hero's come [C] home.

[Am] Still the waiting goes [F] on, [G] dred the knock on the [C] door.

[Am] No news is [F] good news.

[G] Till the war is no [C] more.

(REPEAT CHORUS)

Words & Music by Phill Williams. 16th February 2010.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: The Good Men Of God.

this came to me tonight as i was getting ready to pack-up for the night.

the big push in afghanistan is on my mind, and the news reports about the families left behind hoping, waiting and praying for their young people.

the good men of god? yes a question mark, how could a truly godly person send good young men and women to die in the name of god? a contradiction in terms.

the song is up on my-space, read the words and i hope you can see the meaning and what it's about.

phill

Another good un phill. Great words that paint a  moving micture, I also like the small change in pace near the end of the chorus.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

Really like this, Phil.

I am, however rather put off by the "God" in the title. I know others won't be. Just a thought, but the first line in the chorus might also serve as a title ?

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

This is a hard song to comment on the subject matter war,blood,killing is unpleasant to listen to but then it should be, an introspective look at a man made atrocity that few are responsible for but many pay the ultimate price with there lives that said I think you did a fine job of crafting the lyrics and music send a copy to all the heads of state who dont have to put there lives at risk because if they did I doubt there would be any wars,well done.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi phil, this is a well done song, the music and words all come toghter well. I know most of us here would rather not see war but that is mankind,to bad we could not have battles of the band to win them. ( dreaming)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Phill
I think most song writers touch on the subject of war at some time and I guess most are anti.
You gotta be mad to be pro. This would be the consensus of most of mankind and yet...
Wars are strange now no clear enemy it seems to me no real right or wrong just mankind (leaders religious and politcal) holding on to the most pathetic concept that war is answer to the worlds problems.
Lyrics and music up to your usual high standard.
Well done
ark

Hi Phill,

As I read your words I could easily see and feel the anxiety of a loved one waiting and praying for the best. When I listened to your vocals and production it supported the emotions felt brought about by "the push". Even though I don't know any one overseas I pray not only for their safe return but for peace in the hearts of those waiting in safety.

Call me crazy but your voice is so Lennon-esk it's kind of spooky...in a great way big_smile

As Per Usual............Outstanding all the way around.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

This is really good Phil,
I listened yesterday, but didnt have the time to reply.

I would suggest you post it here on this site. I believe it would be well recieved and  played a lot.
War is always a difficult subject, but people are people all with the same pain for love or loved ones.

http://www.supportoursoldiers.co.uk/

Thanks as always Phil for sharing..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

thanks for all the great remarks,

lena, i had a quick look at the link you show but i dont see a way to up-load the song or just the words as a poem. if you know how maybe you could do it for me or let me know how to do it, as i'd like to do something for our guys.

hi kenny, you know how to flatter a man, if only i could sound like lennon! thanks and nice to hear from you.

hi ark, i detest war, but i feel i must give my support to our people out there risking their lives for the sake of freedom, the afghans and ours.

hi dino, i'm with you there, a rock and folk contest to decide the fate of the world. done many to decide the fate of the band i was playing in, most kicked me out after!

thanks russ, i agree with you there, i'd love to see bin laden out there looking for land mines!

hi stransongs, i've always believed that god is good. why would any kind of higher being want his creation killing each other? the dig here is at the so-called mullahs that promise these easily led guys to blow themselves up with as many innocents as possible, women and children included, which is why the title has a question mark...? good men of god?...dont think so somehow.

hi seriousfun, i like your word play; "moving picture" as in movie or moving as in thought provoking.
thanks for your thumbs up

phill