Topic: D Major fingering

I am having a really hard time playing D major without my fingers muting adjacent strings.  I discovered that if I use my 2nd finger on the 2nd fret 3rd string and 3rd finger 2nd fret 1st string and my 4th finger (pinky) on the 3rd fret 2nd string I can play it cleanly.  Am I wrong to change from the normal fingering to play chords when I can't get them to work with the standard fingering.  I have been trying for days to play the D chord clean with the normal fingering and I can't get it to work.  I don't have anyone in the town where I live, to show me how to place my fingers, so I don't mute the strings.  I was thinking about driving 40 miles to the closest music store and bringing my guitar to see if the man there would show me what I am doing wrong.  I don't feel that I have overly fat fingers or short fingers.  I do have some callous buildup started on all my fingers.  HELP, what should I do?  I practice about 1 hour a day as often as I can.

Thanks,
Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: D Major fingering

If you are playing it clean and can move to and from other chords comfortably that way just go with it. To my knowledge any one can use any fingers to form a chord as long as it is at the correct fret an on the correct strings. You might find help on some of the online sites for guitar lessons. Just remember if you use your index, middle and ring finger it will prepare you better for playing the other D chords easier.

just play it; you can always fix it later should you have the need. Sounds like the way you're doing it may help in transitioning to bar chords

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

You are never wrong to do it your way.  Lots of guitarists have their own way of strumming, picking and fingering chords.  Whatever is easier for you is the right way.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Actually, your current fingering will help you out later when you start working on barre chords.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

Actually, your current fingering will help you out later when you start working on barre chords.

This, plus a bazillion.

That chord shape is one of the hardest things in the universe for me to get farther down the fretboard.  I think anyone that can play a closed D shape well is a complete stud.

/ cannot play a closed D shape well.  sad

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by cameronkl7 2010-02-19 02:04:31)

Jerome,

I've missed something here, so please help me out, excatly what do you mean by a "closed D shape", I've never heard that term, but then there's lots I don't know, so when I run up on a new term I like to find out, thanks.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Tony,  That's a  pretty unique way of playing D. But not a wrong way to play it. I play it with my index on the G string, middle finger on the E string and ring finger on the B string.  That gives my my little finger to add accents on the E string as needed.  However, what has been clearly pointed out here is that, "if it works for you, do it." There's always going to be a chord that one person will play differently from another person (for me it's G).  What's important is: Does it sound good? Does it fit with the Chord Progression?  There is nothing wrong with your D.  Especially if it sounds good and lets you change to other chords with ease.  Rock on! Dguyton hit the nail on the head about the barre chords too.  Any time you get to use your little finger will always add strength to your playing later on.

Now available in 5G !

I found out today that if I put my 3rd finger on the third fret first and then my 1st finger and last my 2nd finger I can play the chord cleanly most of the time.  It seems that the order in which I place my fingers down on the strings allows them to press the string without touching the adjacent strings.  This has been a good practice day for me.  Thanks to everyone for all your helpful replies.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

I've heard a lot of suggestions for not using the index finger when starting out to make barre chords easier down the road.  You might be on to something Tony. 

I found that it took quite a lot before I was able to change chords and play them clean... in fact, they still aren't always clean; sometimes I have to concentrate really hard.  Then I lose my rhythem or am concentrating so hard on playing them clean that I forget the chord progressions.  It's a matter of practice for sure.  I just found out the other day that my fingers actually know where they're going, I closed my eyes and was able to play through an entire song without staring at the neck... I had no clue I could do that.  It wasn't all clean, and I my fingers weren't staying right at the edge of the frets, but it was there.  Just keep on keeping on and you'll get it!  Practice it clean, picking out each string to see if you've got it and excatly where your fingers need to be to get it, and also practice chord changes both with attempting for speed, and again with attempting for accuracy.  I think the thing I hated most about the "beginning" was feeling like I'd never "get it" and be able to play anything that sounded decent.  My mind was ready to learn the next chord, but my "fingers" weren't.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

11 (edited by StranSongs 2010-02-19 14:11:54)

You can also practice finger positions by holding down the chord as per normal , strumming, then taking one finger off - then placing it back again. Do that for all the fingers you are using. You can also develop some interesting little tunes as you practice that way. Makes the practice time more interesting.

"I closed my eyes and was able to play through an entire song without staring at the neck"   

Which means you should also be able to sling that axe behind your own neck and do a Jimmy Hendrix - just make sure there's no-one watching the first few times or they'll think you're a nut !

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

cameronkl7 wrote:

Jerome,

I've missed something here, so please help me out, excatly what do you mean by a "closed D shape", I've never heard that term, but then there's lots I don't know, so when I run up on a new term I like to find out, thanks.

Cam

There are five basic chord shapes.  C A G E and D.  You can play them anywhere on the neck.  When you play them "open,"  are playing them at the nut.  If you play them further down the neck, they are closed.

For example...

D major using the D shape, I'm sure you're familiar with.  This is playing an "open chord shape."

e-2
B-3
G-2
D-0
A-x
E-x

But how about F, using the D shape. Essentially, a barre chord.

e-5
B-6
G-5
D-3
A-x
E-x

Same chord shape, just moved up the neck a little.  This is a "closed D shape."

Make sense?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Yes thanks Jerome, assuming you're barring the 3rd fret, is that right?

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Correctamundo Cameron.

The CAGED system uses those "open" chord patterns with a barre to finger any chord anywhere up the neck by merely barring the fret of the lowest note fretted in the previous chord pattern, and fretting the next chord shape.

Example:  play open C in the first position, the next C chord would be at Barre 3rd fret and finger an open A chord pattern, the next C would be Barre 5th fret and play G pattern etc.   The G & D shapes are the two "toughies" because of the stretch, but can help to keep you in the same region of the neck.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare