Topic: Building a guitar

Hi All!!!

Just for the heck of it I looked into an acoustic guitar kit to build. I thought maybe someday I would like to try building one. WOW, I have a new found respect for anyone who can build a guitar. The amount of time and patience that must go into a build is mind-blowing. I am in construction and build my own furniture as well as some stuff for my cutomers, but man, when looking at a raw kit I second guess taking on a job like that. Has anyone had experience with building a guitar? It would be an amazing and satisfying accomplishment.  A kit costs more than I paid for each of my guitars that I have now. Maybe someday.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2010-02-21 16:07:33)

Re: Building a guitar

Hi Z,

Built a few electrics or resurrected would be a better term over the years, but the closest to doing an acoustic was a dulcimer a few years ago.  Really it is just advanced woodworking.... the impressive ones are the guys who start out with a log and come up with a fiddle.  If you think of it as really dainty furniture, it doesn't seem so bad.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi Z
Good luck on what sounds like a challenging project.  Be sure to take some pictures along the way and post when you are ready.  I suspect it will sound particularly sweet.

Steve

4 (edited by zguitar 2010-02-22 01:01:31)

Whoa Steve, you're way ahead of me here. I wouldn't have the time to take on something like this for a long long time. Besides, I had to save up for my lastest addition. Thers's no way I'm dropping another $300 + on a project.  Expenses and time aside, I would like to try my hand at a build. Maybe when I retire....if I retire.

Btw, good to hear from you. Last we talked, playing time was eluding you. I hope you've had more time lately and are back to playing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't built an actual guitar... YET smile I plan to start one as soon as I can wrap up some other projects I have going on... I have built a tenor uke and am currently building a solid mahogany baritone uke. The sides are bent, top and back is cut and sanded to thickness. Back has been braced. I've rough cut the bracing for the top but haven't glued or shaped them yet. The neck and neck block are done and have been fitted for a dove tail joint. It's been at that stage for about 3 months now... Home projects (adding a second story and opening the existing floor plan) have been taking up my time recently. I have pictures of the build process and am planning on posting it when I get it closer to completion.  I want to try a 14 fret 000 next... Redwood top with African blackwood back and sides. We'll see... It's probably a good year away but that's the plan smile  It'll take that long to save up for the extra tools and build the molds/dishes.
  I'd recommend you giving it a shot! Start off with something small like a restoration. You can usually find some nice vintage solid wood parlor projects on ebay for around $100-150 bucks for the ones worth saving. There's no better way to learn how to assemble something than to disassemble it smile The stewmac kits http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits.html are great from what I hear! Nice solid tone woods and a good complete kit with very thorough instructions. -Pix

Hee's a few links to some good forums that I also participate in that you'll find very helpfull if you decide to persue this... The OLF (Official Luthiers Forum) http://luthiersforum.com/forum/index.php and The Guitar Kit Forum http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum/index.php   The AGF has also recently opened a DIY category that you may like http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … y.php?f=44

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

If you want to build a guitar but don't want to spend a lot of money but you will have something that is fun and sounds OK try building a Cigar Box Guitar.  I bought one and then I built my own.  You can get all the parts for under $25.  There are free plans and instructions here:  http://www.cigarboxnation.com/  I am not considering building a Dulcimer.  Good Luck and I hope someday you build your own instrument.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

My husband mentioned wanting to do this for me... with a Martin Kit.  I think he's crazy, and I'm scared to death cuz what if it sounds aweful and I don't love it?  ha ha!  I think it's sweet he wants to.  Something like this is scary to me though especially if Pix hasn't even done it yet!  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I think I would start with a cheap tp build kit in the begining and work my way up,but it sounds like an intersting thing too do.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I made a weissenborn style guitar with help and guidance from an instrument maker. It took over six months and was incredibly
rewarding.  You need access to a variety of tools and some decent wood and a lot of patience to detail. The result has been amazing and it is a joy to play for sure. It aint easy but then again most worthwhile things aren't. Try it and you will find it an amazing journey even if it takes a long time....