Topic: Wallet vampires

I keep hearing ads on the radio that when paraphrased come as:  "Are you a miserable money manager who will fall for anything?  Then you're our kind of customer!!!"  Credit help, avoid foreclosure, blah, blah, blah.  Free help from a fly by night cleverly named company is not what people need.  Real honest-to-goodness money management assistance is needed by lots of folks, no doubt.  I have a financial advisor myself.  But I'm talking about these companies that prey on folks who are already in deep trouble because they're presumed to be suckers (and in some cases probably are).  Disgusts me.  Worse is that I am hearing the ads most on a Christian radio station. 

Look, if you need help, get it.  But go to someone reputable or a charity organization with good ties to attorneys who do pro bono work to help.  Catholic Ministries locally helps folks locally.  There are a number of other secular charities who have volunteers who advise and assist folks who have fallen on hard times to manage their debt.  Those are great organizations who have helped many people, and not who I'm talking about.  I'm angered by the freaking jackals and wolves who find people who don't analyze deals or have good financial backgrounds and suck what little money they have away on the premise of helping.  It's just wrong.

Sorry for the rant. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Wallet vampires

A worthy rant. Rant on, good man.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I couldn't agree with you more, Zurf.  They are out to get your money and we let them.  Take for instance, the major credit card companies.  They want your money so bad, they advertise what a great deal you get because you earn rewards.  The reward is $20.00 for very thousand you go in debt.  (Just an example, not sure if amount is correct), but you get the idea.  Then they throw a minimum payment at you that makes you feel even better for awile, until you realize you'll never pay it off, but you get a reward once or twice a year.  They must think we are totally stupid, and I guess they're right.  A lot of us are.  Yeah, you got my dander up a bit with that one.  I'll end my little rant the same way you did, Zurf.  It's just wrong.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

"Settle your debt for pennies on the dollar!"  Right, and lose any chance of ever getting another loan or job that requires discretion and fiduciary duty.

"You can halve your monthy payment!"  Sure, and double the period until it's paid.  We'll settle your debt with the other companies so what's left of your credit rating gets flushed down the commode and charge you a huge fee to do it - so we're really just transferring the debt you owe them hopefully for something that was worthwhile to us for something that is worth nothing, at the same screwing over the company that provided a valuable (or at least honest) good or service AND conning the consumer into thinking he's getting something he isn't. 

It's a tough economy and folks are in over their heads many times for no cause of their own.  And just when they need help, who do they get instead?  Flipping con men who come to rape what's left of their dignity and credibility in order to fill their own pockets.  Makes me sick. 

My grandma used to say, "You can't cheat an honest man," and normally I'd agree with that and have little sympathy.  But times are particularly tough and while I've still got a good job that I'm grateful to have, there are hundreds of thousands of folks suddenly having to do without and trying to figure out how to handle it.  It's a confusing time, and so here come the thieves.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  They make me sick.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Good post Zurf,

I decided to pay and clear a credit card i had just last week. I swear to you this was the conversation.

Hello " My name is Old Doll, id like to clear my credit card please .[ then gave my account number ]

Ok. Old Doll " but i'm afraid you dont have a bill pending for some days yet, so i cannot take a payment !!!!!!

Old Doll " You have got to be joking me "

No ! were not allowed  take a payment ? , you must wait untill you get your bill, then ring me back to make a payment  ??.

I then informed her id like the balance and  the account closed also.

"Ok, i cannot help you here with closing your account ! but,  heres a number you can ring for the closing issue !

Ring your usual number to pay the bill  when you receive it in a few days !  As we dont deal with closing accounts !! ring the other number i gave you to close the account  !!

I felt like i had just taken part in a Hamlet commercial.....          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFOPeO2fQq0

Mother of mercy has the world gone completely mad i ask ? All i want to do is pay and close the account.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Obviously they don't want you to close your account.  That's how they work.  There is a little electronic chip in each card that tells them that you just cut up your card and they immediately send you a new one.  (Just so some don't think this actually happens, that was a joke).  Credit card companies comwe up with new fees all the time for late payments, or whatever and they don't tell you this.  That's how they survive.  They want to hit up the people who can't afford it.  They make no money on the rich who pay off their card debt each month.I just read a book on this subject called "Debt Cures They Don't Want You To Know About" by Kevin Trudeau.  A good insight into how they really get your business.  And keep you for life.
At least they have now started to tell you how long it will take you to pay off your present bill while making a minimum payment each month.

Come on, lets here it from the rest of you on your thoughts about this subject.  Lets get fired up.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

By all means avoid those debt consolidation firms like the Plague!  My guitar playing buddy signed on to one of those just to settle a couple of card debts he had gotten in arrears with while dealing with a huge medical debt... I won't name names here, but the result was that they milked him for around $2000 in "retainers fees".  Managed to get one of his cards paid off after negotiating a settlement, which he paid off. and by the time the other was scheduled to be done and paid under a negotiated payment plan; the total paid out of pocket was the same number he was owing plus the retainer.  Oh I forgot to mention that the "law firm" gets to keep a portion of the reduction in the total debt for service fees, and $50 per month accounting charges.

He fired them as his representative, called the other folks (creditor) and within a few minutes had negotiated a repayment agreement that fit within his budget, and they suspended monthly service charges, and knocked the interest down to 3.5% !
In this economic climate, the last thing the bank wants to do is have you "Banko" and leave them with nothing, so most times you can work out some sort of agreement that everyone can live with.  IT NEVER hurts to ask....

Be safe out there and help yourself, before trusting someone else to help themselves at your expense.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Years ago, before my hubby and I were married... he got himself into a debt issue.  He used one of those wallet vampires thinking they'd help him.  In the end... his credit still went into the toilet.  While using these companies the creditors still say horrible stuff about you on your credit report.  It took FOREVER for him to "bank" enough money in his account with the vampire wallets to pay off ONE reduced debt... and of course that reduced debt showed on his credit report for 7 years as having been not paid in full, but exactly what it was ... paid late for years then settled.  Horrid, just horrid.  When we got together and were serious, I was able to look at his statements.  The wallet vampires charged him outrageous fees that were never the same (monthly fees and percentages... they were "banking" his money until there was enough for him to pay something off and they were not paying him interest on any of HIS money they were banking.  You know THEY were collecting interest on it!).  This company ended up going bankrupt... opening in a new name... trying to get him as a customer by claiming they simply changed their name... and further having a class action suit against them (which never did go anywhere).  He lost a lot, a LOT of money... and ended up paying off the remainder of his debt within 4 months of me taking over the issue (if the vampires had still had him, it would have been a few more years at the rate they were going).  His creditors were THRILLED to deal with him personally and negotiate a deal with him rather than the vampires.

Lesson learned... deal with your creditors yourself!  No vampire is going to make a deal that you can't make yourself.  If the creditor won't accept a small amount each month, then put it into a savings account and earn interest on it yourself while they go thru the arrangements to take you to small claims court for the few thousand you owe them.  By the time you get a serious threat in the mail, they'll take what you've banked as a settlement.  I'm not suggesting getting further into debt than you can handle as a good idea, and not suggesting that not paying anything is a great idea either... but if it's not going to keep you from collections, this is an option.  The vampires don't do any more than this for you except for take the extra interest you should be earning and then charge you more on top of it.  Most credit companies will happily close your account once you've reached your credit limit, stop adding overage charges, and accept some form of payment rather than NOTHING. 

On another note... if you have non-necessities like cable (and you can afford it, but could really use a little break on the price), call the company up... tell them you're considering shutting it off because the bill is too high... nine times out of ten they'll give you the current "new customer" promo price for the next 12 months.  I just lowered my bill by $30/ month yesterday by doing just that.  Pay minimum balances on your credit cards ON TIME at the very least... late fees can bring your bill up way more than it's worth ($40 late fee in many cases... is it worth $40 extra to you to not pay the minimum that could actually be LESS than the cost of the late fee?).  Pay more on the higher interest items.  Talk to your low interest companies and ask if they'll raise your balance and let you transfer high interest cards to them and then CANCEL that high interest card!

Be proactive, not reactive.  Dig out slow... times will change... and if your debt is that bad, by all means... shut the lights off more often, lower the thermostat by a few degrees, take shorter showers, read library books instead of renting movies, cancel the television service and go out and exercise instead, pick up a babysitting job (there's tons of parents out there in bad $$ shape looking for cheap quality childcare that would love to give you a small amount of cash to play with their kids during the times that you're sitting at home anyway), OH... and take a few minutes each night de-stressing about the money problems by playing your guitar!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You're 100% right on, Mekidsmom.

Mekidsmom has just distilled every money management seminar worth the price of admission down into one Chordie post.  I ought to print that out, frame it, and hang it over my checkbook.

- Zurf

Years ago, I was producing lots of local radio and TV commercials here in New York.  One customer that I could not stand personally but could not resist financially was a guy who ran one of those "credit repair" companies.  He seemed to be about 23 years old and a multi-millionaire.  The guy had absolutely none of the qualities I like in a person, but at a time when I was struggling to make it as a musician, he would come through sometimes 2-3 times a week with a request for a new spot.  Best of all, if I would quote $300, he would guarantee $600 if I could get it done by the next day. 

For the next year or two, thousands of people must have taken advantage of this guy's many financial services, because he seemed to have a new one on almost a daily basis.  The checks kept clearing and padding my bank account until, one day, one of his checks bounced.  Of course, this particular check was for not one, but three jobs at a total of $1500.  Obviously, I had come to trust this guy after a while. 

I spent the next several months chasing this guy to no avail.  During one phone call, his secretary advised that she had to hang up, as the police were there and had ordered her to put down the phone.  The next day, the company phone number was disconnected.

In the end, I paid off all the talent that worked on these spots and wrote the whole thing off as a loss.  About a year later, the guy had the b-lls to call me and say "Hey, Tom, I had a rough year, but I'm back and I'm looking to work for another company and I'm just wondering if you could write me a character reference."

Totally floored by disbelief, I asked him if he was joking.  He responded that he knew he owed me money, but would pay me back as soon as he got on his feet.  I advised him that a man with "character" would have, at least, taken my phone calls and told me he couldn't afford to pay me in the first place.  Although I'm not one for drama, I ended up hanging up on the guy.

Fast forward about ten years:  I just saw one of my commercials on TV.  I can't tell you the name of the business, but he's apparently back and advertising the same sleazy credit services that got him rich and then busted a decade ago.  With so many naive credit addicts out there, he will probably do amazingly well again this time around.

My spots were produced as buy-outs, so I have no way to bring him down that way, but I sure hope somebody stops this character before more sorry airheads get ripped off!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Hi all ,
    I love this topic so much that I could'nt even take the time to read all the replies before putting in my worthless two cents ... Hope nobody minds ...
    What p@3##sses my off about this is all the people who take all the credit when it's there to take , and then crying about it later ... Now don't get me wrong ... I'm NOT talking about the folks who lose their jobs , or when the credit card companies up their interest rates with no warning ... I'm talking about these people who use the credit they have for stupid sh#t , then cry when the credit card company expects to get back what these people promised to pay back when they took on the debt ... Drives me crazy to think that these people can go to some outfit and get their debt reduced when they should have known what they were getting into in the first place ... They are'nt third graders for god"s sake ... Not withstanding , there will always be people to try to take advantage of folks who are down on their luck , but please ... It just bothers me that these people can get out of a debt so easy that they agreed to and promised to honor ... Not a very Chistian way of living , is it ...
   Sorry for my rant , BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF ............................
                                                                             Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Good addition to the conversation, GSE.  We're all ranting about the credit-fixing companies for taking advantage of the poor, irresponsible credit abusers (I referred to them as "sorry airheads" in my post). Perhaps we should be scolding those who can't control their spending, as well.

Anyway, I've passed up many enticing ukes over the past couple of years because I couldn't pay cash for them.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

PapaTom and GSE - I think that's what my Gram was talking about when she said, "You can't cheat an honest man."  It's not so much a matter of honesty in all cases, but at least unclear thinking in many circumstances.  Again, I'm not talking about folks who are down on their luck for reasons out of their control, because there's a lot of that going around.  I'm talking about folks who made very poor decisions.  Unfortunately, because of that lack of clear-headed thinking I referred to, many of the folks in that circumstance will never know the difference.  It's like that old saying I'm making up on the spot, "Only another can describe your appearance."

Absolutely, GSE.  It does work both ways.  We all know a lot of people who charge everything and pay minimum payments until they max the card out and then get another card.  It becomes never ending for some.

Just had to toss in a tidbit for discussion here....

Don't they teach economics in school anymore?  What's with standing in line behind someone at a grocery store and seeing the person in front of you paying for food with a "Credit Card"?  Debit cards are great, so don't get me wrong here, but there has to be something amiss when folks are buying steak on credit, with a hot-dog budget.

Must be some part of the "no child left behind" education policy we got here.... don't leave them behind, but don't learn 'em nuthin' either.

Take Care All;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

17 (edited by bonedaddy 2010-03-01 11:25:49)

I guess they don't teach economics in school any more than they do at home!

We're coming into about the 3rd generation of ignorance now - I'm 42 and there are grandparents my age who came in at the tail end of decent schooling before education became dumbed down beyond all recognition.

If my theory is correct then these are the ones who really bought into the 'give the kids anything they want so I can have a quiet life' attitude.  As a consequence, their children (and mine) were brought up in an environment of easy credit terms and instant gratification... don't they just go well together!  Due to their lack of education, the grandchildren will be twice as far removed from basic common sense. (Apologies to those who don't fall into this category but there are so many who do).

Of course now the global economy has melted down everybody is reaping what they sowed or what went around is now coming around and the vampires are circling and the rich are richer than ever and nobody else has a pot.

So, my children were educated about money from home, we demonstrated how economics should work and haven't borrowed more than we could afford to repay - all we have outstanding is 1 personal loan for a car (convertible cool), the mortgage on the house which holds about 35% equity and no credit card debt at all so that makes me about as perfect as possible big_smile!

Except now my kids need to find 20% deposits to get mortgages of their own and my son has just passed his driving test and bought our small 1.4 diesel hatchback which the insurance vampires are hoping for £4500 per year for 3rd party insurance so it just goes to show you you can't be too careful... someone will always take what little you have left!

rant over cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Bottom line......if it sounds to good to be true............it is.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

19 (edited by bensonp 2010-03-03 21:36:00)

They don't teach honesty, courtesy, responsibility or how to spend wisely in school.  Or values. These are generally learned at home, sometimes