1 (edited by tonyespo 2010-03-01 00:09:47)

Topic: New Guitar purchased today

I was browsing Craigslist and I found what I consider a good deal on a Takamine G-116 classical guitar and hard case.  The guitar and case are like new.  The normal story, per previous owner bought it to learn but after 2 weeks he put the guitar in his closet and it hasn't been touched in about 3 years.  I bought it because I wanted to get a guitar with nylon strings and softer feel so I could practice more hours a day.  Right now my main objective is chord changes.  This guitar sounds clean and I think I can re-sell it a year from now for what I paid for it.

Some things I want to do.  Buy some strings for it.  Please suggest what strings I should get.  It has the plain stings without the ball end and pegs.  The setup looks a bit high. I will most likely have to file the nut and bridge to lower the strings.  There isn't a truss rod, but the neck doesn't looked warped. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of this guitar? 

Thanks,
Tony
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn95/t1espo/My%20Guitars/DSC00450.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn95/t1espo/My%20Guitars/DSCI0127.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn95/t1espo/My%20Guitars/DSCI0128.jpg

Post edited to add photos.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: New Guitar purchased today

Happy NGD (new guitar day) tony! Posting pictures of your new acquisition is customary. smile

I don't own any nylon string guits, but I do have a Tak EF series steel string that plays like butter. Taks are great guitars that typically give a lot of bang for your buck.

As far as strings go, I am a huge fan of John Pearse strings (again - I have never played a nylon). I usually get my strings from this joint:

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/johnpearse.html

Great prices, quick shipping and great customer service.

Good luck, looking forward to seeing some pics!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good for you Tony.  I don't know anything about nylon strings, but it looks like you got as good deal.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Happy New Guitar Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Yes great looking guitar, congratulations Tony, I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Topdown, what type of the John Pearse strings are you using and what do you like about them Do they have a nice warm deep sound, or a brassy sound, I'm thinking of some strings for my Martin, but I'm looking for a deep rich sound, and I've never tried the John Pearse strings so I was just curious.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Happy NGD Tony!  Daddario's were a suggested string to use on my classical (from the manufacturer).  My only advise is to stay away from the silk wound strings.  Daddario calls these "composites".  The core is made of filiments, then wound.  When I had those, my G string frayed and broke long before the rest of the strings lost their tone.  If you're playing a LOT of A, D, E where your finger is CONSTANTLY on that G string on the second fret... it's bound to happen.  With traditional nylon strings the G is all nylon and not wound at all so it won't be an issue.  The low E and A are still nylon core then wound with metal to get that lower bass sound.

I haven't had much luck finding anything local other than Daddario... but when I do find some other brand I will be trying them out!  Just remember, when you change your strings with nylon... they are going to go flat within SECONDS ... so don't expect to play the day you change them (or maybe even the next day).  It takes a good week of tuning each day before they stop stretching out!  I've read about stretching the strings when you first put them on to help with that process, but then I've read not to do that because you could get weak spots in the string.  Make sure  you have some time and patience set aside the first time you do change them however... it's a little tricky, but not too bad!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Happy NGD Tony!  Hope you enjoy her! I sold my classical (actually it was bought for my wife) to a friend a couple years ago and have really missed it. Really fun to play and I enjoyed the softer tones. As far as strings go: Here are a few good brands to consider..Savarez, Hannabach, La Bella (Professional series) and D'Addario.

Here's a few things to consider when looking for classical strings...

Tension -- Classic guitar strings are made in different tensions. They are: low tension also referred to as moderate or light, normal or medium tension, hard or high tension. There are some other tensions....

String material -- Treble nylon guitar strings can be made with clear or rectified nylon. Clear nylon strings are extruded and then calibrated for accuracy. Rectified nylon strings are extruded and then ground to produce a string that will play in tune. They have a very fine roughness of texture. Treble strings are also made of carbon fiber and composite materials. Bass strings are primarily made of bronze wire or silver plated copper wire wound around a core of fine threads. Silver wound strings tend to last longer than bronze wound but bronze has better tone (IMO)

Also keep in mind ,if you decide to lower the action, That nylon strings vibrate more due to reduced tension and therefore usually can't be as low as steel strings without buzzing... Just be sure to take it real slow with your adjustments and you should do fine with it  smile -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks everyone for the well wishes with my new guitar.  I have ordered two different sets of strings, a Capo, thumb pick and so I could get free shipping, I even ordered a metronome.  I started out with a $100 guitar about 6 weeks ago and now and have two guitars and a lot more money spent.  This is good because it gives me more incentive to practice, practice, practice.

10 (edited by Doug_Smith 2010-03-02 03:30:23)

Hi Tony,

After what you went through with your steel, by all means pay attention to Pix on the action!  Nylon strings need bunches more "headroom" and lots less tension to come to pitch (hence no truss rod).  I learned classical and after awhile you get really good at tying knots that hold tight.  MKM is correct that they need more settle in time to quit stretching, but a loose knot will toss you the same symptoms.  There is a good tutorial on the Taylor website which outlines the process I was taught (some 35 years ago.... before internet). 

Also IMO your own fingernails are best on Nylon, and you will likely find that thumbpick too aggressive, but it'll do you good service on the steel.

Have
Fun & Take Care;
Doug

PS;  Strings of my choice are La Bella

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Sounds like a real classical guitar to me, if you file the action, you'll get less classical, but that's maybe what you want. High action is typical.
D'addarios are the best strings for classical, and personally, I love composites. Been playing hardcore classical for the last two or 3 years, and that's all i'll use. But whatever floats your bot, or sings your songs...  lol

Hey Tony, You got the bug now. This could be the start of alot of new toys. Always exciting to find new deals and horse trading can be fun. Best of luck,   Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Don't get me wrong guys... I loved the SOUND of composites... but that G string just frayed way too early for me when all I was playing was D, E, A in the very beginning.  Considering the comments... maybe I will try them again now that I can play a bunch of other chords!  smile At the moment, my strings desperately need to be changed... they sound ugly... but I don't want to have to put my guitar down for the time needed for the strings to settle.  I can see how having myself ANOTHER guitar would come in soooo handy right now!  LOL!  Tony... you've got one up on me there!  I'm jealous!  I'd try to play that with a fresh set of strings before going thru adjustments.  You may find with the nylon, even if the action is a little higher than your steel, that it is not a problem to fret.  Just a thought... these guys know WAY more than I do!

Pix... good info about the string material... is there a difference in tone to the two types?  Clear or rectified?  Does one last longer than the other?  As for tension, does it give a different sound or become harder or easier to fret with the different tensions?  I've just stuck with "normal" every time I've bought a set (mind you... I've only bought a few!).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

MeKids, I'm sort of a Craigslist junkie.  Being retired I look for great deals on things that I can fix, or clean and resell them for a small profit.  Mostly computers and computer equipment.  I make some extra spending money doing this.  That is what happened when I saw this guitar.  I know if I don't play it, I can sell it for what I paid, or make a profit.  However that said, I think I will be giving this guitar a loooooonnnnngggggg test drive.  I like the way it sounds and looks.