1 (edited by Zurf 2010-05-27 23:44:44)

Topic: Strange conversation

I work for a global management consulting company.  I'm used to working with folks from all nationalities and backgrounds.  It's pretty cool, actually.  Despite being global, our company has a policy of all company activity taking place in English, as is reasonable of course.  That allows our Japanese group to talk to our German group without much difficulty.  And so on, of course.  Well, I am just coming back from a dinner with one of our suppliers and I heard an odd conversation.  One lanky Southern boy was walking down the hall with a stout Asian fellow and they were having a conversation.  That's not odd here.  Normal in fact.  The odd thing was that the Asian fellow was talking Mandarin and the lanky Southern boy was speaking English in a gentlemanly Southern sort of accent and they were understanding one another just fine.  Kind of blew my mind a little. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Strange conversation

That is awesome. I am a relocated Yankee to NC since 1978. There are still times when I am conversing with a real down-east Carolinian that we both have no idea what the other one is saying. "Say again", "What?" "Repeat that please", I swear some of my best friends speak with marbles in their mouths. Now I on the other hand speak faster than my brain can think and when I am on a roll, my mouth runs 100 miles a minute. My buddies southern brains simply cannot handle the speed. My wife says, "Stop getting all yankee on me".

Yankee vs. Southern is tough enough - I can't imagine Mandarin vs. Southern.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

They Weren't carrying i-Phones were they?  I heard "there's an App for that".

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I knew a married couple in the military. He was from Brooklyn, New York - she was from Rome, Georgia. Each one's accent made the other laugh early and often.
I am from Alabama via the midwest. My wife is from South Carolina. Her accent is delightful but sometimes funny. I can do her and her sister's speech pattern well after all these years.
They always say, "Don't mawk me." but I can't help it.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

At a campfire along the river one time we had a Scot and a gentleman who proudly claims the title of hillbilly.  They were both speaking English but neither one knew what the other was saying. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

6 (edited by crevs.1972 2010-05-28 12:23:23)

I come from Wales (next to England not part of it just like Scotland) and the national language is Welsh not English.  Granted the majority of Welsh people don't speak Welsh but legally all government signs and forms and street signs have to be in English and Welsh.  We also have our own TV and various radio stations dedicated to welsh.  I can't speak it but I can understand the basics when it's spoken to me slowly.   

Strangely a friend of mine who speaks welsh fluently went to Northern France on holidays and they were amazed to find that if the French person spoke slowly and clearly they could undertand them.  Apparently this only works the the french spoken in Brittany and Normandy.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

I had a brother in law who was German. The poor guy lived in the deep South and married a girl with a broad accent as well as a speech impediment. His English was a combination of broken German and American redneck. He would say things like " Look ovah yondah" nobody could understand.
Even worse, he was over here for so long that he began to think in his brand of English so much that when he met friends spreaking native German he could not recall enough German words fast enough to maintain a fluent level of conversation.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Hey Tuba,

If you don't mind me asking, what part of South Carolina is your wife from, I've spent many a year in SC, still have lots of Aunts, Uncle's, Cousin's and friends there, I lived in a small town called Chesterfield, close to Cheraw, Darlington, Florence.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down