Topic: How to fing the chord rhythm or strumming pattern of a song..

I will explain my problem clearly.... i am quite good with changing chords n playing lead.. bt i dont know how to detect the strumming or rythm for a song  that has got no acoustic guitar in it so that it suits with the vocals... i searched a lot n am getting answers like listen to the beats ,tap with legs..then will be able to get it... am nt understanding it... can someone help me... in more simple language.. as if teaching a small boy.. smile.. please..

Re: How to fing the chord rhythm or strumming pattern of a song..

Welcome to Chordie Ananthu.

I have been told to listen to the drums to get the basic beat. I myself cannot pick out a strum pattern like that. Another bit of advice I've heard is to listen to the song over and over and over so you can feel it out.

Other will come by with better advice.

You're in India huh? I don't think our picks around the world have been there yet. Check this out:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12624

Good luck

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the best advice I got was to practice with a Metronome.

Hopefully to answer your question might be to try this. Listen to the song while sitting...relax and let your foot tap to the beat (should be natural if you relax and enjoy the music)...count the number of beats for 15 seconds and multiply by four. That will give you beats per minute. Then set you metronome and practice strumming at that beat...   Once you get comfortable with that beat then play the song again and try to follow... sometimes it takes a while but try not to get frustrated or in a big hurry... hope this helps!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

ok i got it some wat... i practiced using a metronome .. bt i juz got that timing of playing.. how to get the actual rhytm.. i don knw how to xplain it.. i thnk it can b defined as strumming pattern... we r using metronome to keep time right.. wats that gonna do with mixing guitar chords on a song.. sad

thanx for ur advices.. smile

Listen to the drums to get the basic rhythm. Actually play along with your hands, like air drums. NOW, put your non-srumming hand (fretting hand) away. Sit on it or hide it somewhere. Do the same drum thing but with only your strumming hand. Use the side of your thigh as the drum and do the whole drum thing one handed. Beat out the whole drum beat not just half of it. Now pay attention to what your hand is doing. Hopefully it should be beating out your basic strum pattern.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I write out all lyrics first. I then write each chord in red ink over the sylable of the lyric where it hits.
All there is to do is strum along with the recording or the U-tube vid until you get into the flow of chord changes and rhythm. Then you sing along until the vocal phrasing falls into place.
After several hundred reps, you got it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

all this advice is good-- do what works best for you

tanx for all ur information.... i will do as u guys told.. n wil post my progress.. smile