1 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-07-30 15:34:36)

Topic: Tequila and Jack

I have finally done it - I wrote a song for my husband.  He has to fight with the kids so much for my attention and asked for a song um... months ago when I wrote the other ONE.  I don't feel that writing songs is really "my thing", but recently someone else said they liked my singing and would love to hear some "original" music.  I don't know when I became a "musician" that writes tons of original stuff, but heck it's worth a shot!

Every word in this means something in our 10 year relationship.  Crazy, we met and fell in love in a bar so hat's off to our friends Tequila, Jack, Vodka and Beer because without them we may have never met one another!  LOL!  It kind of runs on one verse into the next, with an upbeat "lets go out drinking" feel.  I don't drink Tequila ANYMORE!  lol

Tequila and Jack by Amy Wall

[G] [C] [G] [D]

They're [G]Chillin' on the [C]front porch of that

[G]bar and he whispers [D]in her ear

Sweet [C]moments in the [C]dark

close her [G]eyes and she feels him [D]there and then thier

[G]Talking over [C]eggs in a house of

[G]pancakes and he [D]says she likes

[G]Tequila and he likes [C]Jack

or she'll have [G]Vodka and he'll have a [D]Beer, that's right

[G]Tequila and he'll have [C]Jack or maybe

[G]Vodka and he likes [D]beer

late [G]nights of Des[C]perado and her

[G]heart's locked up like [D]steel so

[C]Crank up the [C]MIG but

[G]watch that stickout [D] yeah cuz she

may be [G]right he says he may be [C]crazy

it's [G]Billy Joel and her broken [D]toe with

[C]tears falling from the [C]sky don't you

[A7]worry the angels are [D7]ne--[D]---ar

and a [G]new arrival [C]comes in time

to [G]ring in their [D]years of five

[C]together are they [C]ready?

add em [G]up to four 'n what's [D]next? she'll have a

[G]Tequila and he'll have [C]Jack

or a [G]Vodka and he likes [D]beer how bout

[G]Tequila or maybe [C]Jack? she likes

[G]Vodka and he'll have a [D]beer

life's [G]passing way too [C]fast they've got

the [G]kids tattoos and [D]guitars

[C]just slow down and drink each [C]other in a [D]glass mixed with tequila and jack

she likes [G]Tequila and he likes [C]Jack or she'll have

[G]Vodka and he'll have a [D]beer they

[G]live together and they [C]laugh together

[G]sometimes they shed a [D]tear together they like

[G]Tequila or [C]Jack sometimes it's

[G]Vodka or cele[D]brate with a beer

[G]Tequila and [C]Jack

or a [G]Vodka and a [D]beer ........ [G](end)

*edited one chord in the song... it was off

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Tequila and Jack

Tequila and Jack......haha....oh my. Been there!!

Is there a recording of this one in existence mkm? Would be good to hear it to get the flow right.....I suspect this could be a proper little foot tapper

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Hee hee... thank you!  It's a wonder we're still together with all that drinking to start off our relationship!  LOL! 

Well, no recording yet.  I let my hubby read it, and I played the guitar part for him.  I told him that he's not going to hear the music and singing together until he can play and sing ONE song all the way through.  For a minute I thought that meant I'd NEVER record this, then I remembered he doesn't ever hardly go on the internet.  Ha ha ha!  Soooo... as I get some more time (when he's not around) I'll get it recorded and update here.  He's been dabbling with guitar longer than I have, yet he never seems to finish anything he starts with respect to it.  push push... shove shove... He has an AMAZING voice that I wish I could hear more sad (maybe I need to fill him up with some more Jack)

Ok Amy; Now get out that H2 and record it so we can get a better feel for the rythem.  Like Bud_wiser, I need to hear it to get in the right flow.  We all know you can sing and play because we have heard you do so well before, so find some time and satisfy us with your recorded version.  I anxously await!  Good start, now to the finish line!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

hi amy its a wonder you were still standing with all that grog,anyway great topic,lovely lyrics,well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Dear Ms. Amy,
The world can always use another drinking song.
I got quite a few in my fat book.
Proud your relationship withstood the booze.
A lady at the gig last night told us she was mad that her doctor won't let her drink now that she is preggers. She said, "If it wasn't for a half a jug of Jose Quervo, I wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place."
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

7 (edited by Phill Williams 2010-08-06 12:05:42)

hi amy,
didnt expect you to be a wino? (i'm only joking) great song and i love the references not only to the alcohol but also the songs, and i bet there's a few in there i dont understand. 10/10

phill

i checked your web page but i couldnt find this there, what a shame, i hope your thinking of putting it up. and yes, you have a beautiful voice.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Ha ha!  Thanks boys.  wink  Yes, when my husband and I first met I was capable of drinking quite a lot of alcohol in one night.  I was only 23 then so I guess that's normal?  I learned how to drink tequila with the "local drunk".  I'd walk in and the old hippie would buy us both shots until he passed out at the bar... then I'd switch to pitchers of Kamakazi's or Screwdrivers or just about anything as long as all the guys in town were buying.  When I was finished, I'd walk myself down to the motel my parents owned, with the $20 still in my pocket that I walked into the bar with.  I am NOT that girl anymore... nope, mostly just suzie homemaker now but I still do enjoy a few Jack-n-Cokes or Cranberry-n-Vodkas. 

Phill - the song references mean a LOT!  Desperado was kinda the song that described ME at the point when we first met.  The Billy Joel song is the one that described HIM... and we danced to it as our wedding song in the backyard wink  When I do finally get around to doing the video, maybe I will put some annotations into it to explain the meanings of the rest of it! 

I played the song for my mom, and she is in love with it!

Hi Amy,

I would love to hear a recording of this as I struggled a little with the phrasing when I just gave it a run through, but just lyrics and chords is often like that. I really want to hear how to should be so get to it girl smile.

Well done,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

And so it is done:  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so … ID=9527920

Ok Amy!  This is much more bouncy than I thought it would be.  I really thought this would be more of a very slow ballad, so I was very suprised.  Good lighthearted melody puts a very casual and carefree tone on the underlying message of moving forward with our lives from meeting to kids and all that life brings.  I really like hearing new things that others do.  Nice job playing, singing and the lyrics.  Keep it up.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.

Thank you!  Yes, it was time to do something more fun and upbeat.  Considering our relationship started with nothing more than "drinks and good times"... I was hoping to portray that feeling with the song.  smile  I'm glad it worked!

Well done. You really have a great voice. I'm not taking away from the song writing or your playing but your voice is strong....Again, well done.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Wow Amy, both of your songs on soundclick are terrific!  I am very impressed by your voice!  Wouldn't be surprised to find you singing in Chelsea or the down in the Village in some little nightclub in NYC!  I've always wished to have the ability to carry a tune, but wasn't blessed with vocals, so I stick to poetry...:/....Please continue writing and singing...you really have something there!  best, -T

Thank you soooo much guys!  I am really happy that you've enjoyed the music!  I will continue singing and playing for as long as I am able.  I think I'm a little too modest to believe I'm capable of singing in Night Clubs, but I'd love to do something like that all the same!  I am honored by your appreciation!  smile

A NEW update to this song!!!  I am excited and pleased to announce a Chordie Collaboration on this song has been completed!  Special thanks to JJ Akerman (aka kajima) and Russell Harding!  If you enjoyed my acoustic version, you're going to LOVE this collaboration!  This was completed as an anniversary gift to my husband, Jim (our anniversary is this coming Tuesday the 14th of September).  He was BLOWN away by the surprise and completely in AWE of Russell's lead steel!  Thanks again guys... I hope you all enjoy this:  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9527920

Very good !

I'm proud of you Amy,

Russell you are a very talented young man and it is great that you share your gift !

Later, Wayne P

Great collaboration, guys. What a happy song - well sung and well played. Congratulations to all.
Amy, if you put together a list of 40 or more tunes of the quality of "Tequila and Jack", you should be quite succesfull singing in anybody's bar or nightclub. Just remember the pay is so-so and drunks get to swinging pool cues and throwing beer bottles when provoked.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well done Amy, Russ and JJ. It is great what happens to music when a few Chordie friends get together in cyberspace. Congratulations to all of you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey, Hey, Hey, how about that!  Nice job by all involved.  Wow, what a wonderful thing to do the music, but another to get together with others and do it.  I liked it!  Way to go!

Nice one guys.  Amazing what can be achieved across the miles and the www.
Amy, since I listened to the song the first time it has bugged me greatly that your vocal style is reminiscent of a chart artist.  Suddenly tonight it hit me between the eyes - Jacqui Abbott in her Beautiful South days.  I hope you don't mind me making such a comparison and hope you take it as the compliment it is meant to be.
Well done Russell and JJ - I love your contribution to a great song.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

I am still amazed at how wonderful this came out!  Of course, I knew that choosing talented musicians to help make the song come to life would make a huge difference!  Thank you everyone for your kind comments.  Ian - I am quite honored by the compliment smile  Thank you very much! 

BTW ... JJ was on the finger picking rhythm, I did vocals and rhythm strumming, and Russell did everything else!  Russell and I both did a portion of the mixing as well.

Well done...great job all. Mr Harding slide is a nice touch (and oh how he likes to showcase his diverse talents; is there nothing he can't do?!!!). Well done all

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I was thoroughly impressed. I listened to both the songs on your page and thought they were both great. You have an amazing voice. Great job to all those involved with this song.

Thanks Caromshot!  That's my whole whopping two songs I've written.  I'm not really a "writer" ... but sometimes the mood strikes me.  These two times I happened to take the time to write it all down and make it sound like a song!  LOL!  smile  I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and come all the way back here to comment.  It means a lot! 

Amy