1 (edited by bud_wiser 2010-08-10 20:39:50)

Topic: First Gig Approaches!!

Evening all,

so, as some of you may know, I recently joined a band. Mainly just singing (just...ha!) but I've also been pootling about with my guitar too. Only in the studio, will leave it to the guys on the night though. Since they're milllllles better. Good thing is, I get to play with them, a lot! Only going to learn methinks.

Anyway, we have our first gig together coming up on the 21st of this month. For the scots out there, it's in Maggie Mays in Glasgow. Should be a great night. 5 acts on in all, including us. Billing is dictated by whoever sells the most tickets. So for that reason, I think we may be quite far up, top two or three methinks.

I am unbelievably excited as the time clicks on. Getting more than a tad nervy too mind you. However, I'm sure I'll be a basket case on the night. I do stage fright excellently y'see! Gulp!!

I'm staying positive though, I'm sure that the nerves will help sharpen the focus and if I hopefully get through the first song or two without blowing it massively I'll be alright.

Be good, and more than a little reassuring for any of you Chordians to share any gig-night nerves tales you may have and indeed any remedies you may have. Although, I'd prefer to avoid any "altered consciousness" solutions if possible tongue

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Re: First Gig Approaches!!

Good luck on your first gig, only thing that comes to mind is that Paul Simon song Late in the Evening, that one line "Stepped outside to smoke myself a jay, and I blew that crowd away"  do do do    do

badeye   cool

one caper after another

That's how you will learn and get good fast.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Good luck, Good luck, Good luck!  Stare into the bright lights, then you will be temporarily blinded and won't be able to see all the people and their presence won't bother you!  LOL!  Just be careful not to fall off any stage and actually "break a leg" while blinded!  SAD part about this is, as funny as my suggestion is, it actually does work!  (Of course, a drink or two might not hurt... but not too many or you run that risk again of possibly falling off the stage.)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Break a leg, my friend.

Getting worked up and nervous before you perform is normal and healthy, it helps you perform better when you start. I, and I know many others, find that as soon as you actually start the nerves disappear and then, when it is all over, you go home on a real high without taking illegal substances.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

6 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-08-11 09:50:39)

It helps to start out with simpler tried and true songs that you know best until your nerves settle down. After that try, to observe the crowd and see what tunes they enjoy the most. If you're not playing an instrument you can afford to focus outward. It helps to comunicate if you can take your mind off of yourself and project your sound to someone in the back of the room.  If the crowd feels like they are a big part of your show, the positive feedback can be huge and give you mucho energy.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Good Luck!!!! Just stepping onto the stage proves you've got what it takes. Have a couple of drinks before hand; just enough to dull the nerves not enough to cripple the ability smile

Knock 'em Dead!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I'm with Tuba on the advice... ask your mates to be sure the opening song is one you are most familiar instead of one that maybe is a bigger song. Just getting one song under your belt the instincts will kick in.  I think you won't be able to fall asleep on that night.  So I envy you and we're all with you!  Don't drink too much tho and tell us all about it..

Man, I hope I can make it.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I decided to wait till closer to the gig to wish you good luck with the gig. From what i've heard from your youtube videos you'll do just fine. Try to squeeze in the song "balance" in your set smile A video of your 1st gig too would be cool. Good luck and have fun.

Pah! Canny make it sad

Good evening all,

So! had the gig on Saturday night. We were topping the bill right enough, based on ticket sales so our stage time was 10.30 (soundcheck at 5...long wait!). We got on and started by about 10.45........

OH MY GOD!!!! The best thing I have ever done in my entire life!! Easily, without contest (I have no children, never married tongue ).

The crowd were awesome. 250 drunken sweaty lunatics ready to have a good time and 5 sober sweating lunatics ready to try and give them one, if you'll pardon the phrase!

We played seven songs in total, 6 of our own and 1 cover - Dakota by the stereophonics. Jeez that almost took the roof off!

The whole night went better than I ever expected. I was v nervous, but never to the "I'm gonna hurl" stage that I expected. More jittery than anything, and keen to get it done as well. But as advised on here (which I secretly didn't believe) once we got started it was ok. The nerves never disappeared but they weren't doing anything other than keeping me alert....I would say sharp but I don't think that ever applies to me!

It's impossible for me to pull a highlight from the night, as the whole thing was just an incredible experience. All the guys in the band had a blast too and the feedback from the crowd was fantastic. Even yesterday and today when they're, I assume anyway, sober.

We did play a song I'd written called What's Begun (think it's in the songwriting forum called "When I Least Expected") in the set, which was a huge buzz too. Especially when you hear the way it sounds with the full band playing it. Miles rockier than the original version and in my opinion about a hundred times better. They are a talented bunch of guys in this band and no mistaking. The song went over well and got a pretty big reaction from the crowd.....goosebumps moment for sure!!

Actually, I may try and get a version of it onto YouTube shortly, albeit a rotten recording from a mobile phone....but it will give you the idea of it and a snippet of the gig!

Thank you to all of you who provided encouragement and good wishes. They helped a lot and meant a lot. Now all I need is some Chordians to rock along to the next gig, when we book one, and take in the live show. Al, I'm looking your way in particular matey. Shame you couldn't make this one......hopefully next time! Be good to have a beer.

Will post back here if / when I ever get the file uploaded to the Tube.

Thanks again everyone. I'm proud to say I'm a Chordian, and now I'm proud to say I'm not a performance virgin either!!

Congrats Mark!! Glad to hear it went so well. Looking forward to viewing the youtube. Rock On!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

We had no doubt that it would go well. Well, it's easy for us not be nervous!!!! Congrats...

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Great stuff Mark. I had no doubts that you would go down well with your audience and thoroughly enjoy the experience. Parabéns.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Congrats Mark!  It sounds like you had an awesome time and gave one as well!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Fantastic but man I am green with envy!

Hopefully with a lot of hard work, in 2 or 3 years I'll pop my cherry too but for now I can only imagine...

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Wow. Fantastic. Man, I wish I'd been there. Hopefully next time. I'm really starting to slowly get back into the live music thing so I really hope I can get to a show in the near future. All the best, Mark, you've worked your socks off for this.

I bet you couldn't get to sleep that night going over it in your head.  Glad you had it go your way and glad you shared it with us.  Almost like being there with you.  Let us know when you post.

Steve

Ok, y'all.....apologies for the amount of time taken to get this together but the below is a link to a wee file which is an extract from the gig mentioned above. It's a wee song that I wrote and then worked with the band to make it a proper song...if that makes sense. I'm kinda gutted that the only footage we have is from my mobile phone. The sound and indeed image quality is really poor...as is the fact that my daft brother in law starts moaning about his sore arm right at the emotional break in the song. The doughnut! Only kidding, cheers for recording Colin smile

Big old 40Mb file, so if you want to download it's at the following link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/fbzr7q

Again, please note that the sound and image quality on this is rubbish. Rest assured we sounded considerably better than this on the night. I'm sure the boys in the band would probably lob me out if they thought I'd posted this, so shhhhhh, just between us, right?!